Author Topic: 29-year-old Dutch woman ends her life legally  (Read 12970 times)

Offline lookout

Re: 29-year-old Dutch woman ends her life legally
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2018, 01:13:PM »
I'm not averse to cremation, but not with my ashes mixed in one of many large urns with hundreds of others whom I never met.  I'd prefer my ashes to be scattered on my favourite spot by at least one person who knew me for some length of time, not a faceless bureaucrat dumping them like trash then ticking a box on a sheet before leaving for the evening.

Perish the thought.
 Providing I'm pronounced dead first and foremost I'll be buried surrounded by my favourite flowers following my favourite music. No cremation for me thankyou very much.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2018, 05:29:PM »
I'm not averse to cremation, but not with my ashes mixed in one of many large urns with hundreds of others whom I never met.  I'd prefer my ashes to be scattered on my favourite spot by at least one person who knew me for some length of time, not a faceless bureaucrat dumping them like trash then ticking a box on a sheet before leaving for the evening.
Doesn't bother me Steve, It's only a body, like an old overcoat that's no longer wanted.  ;D

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2020, 08:29:AM »
New Zealand has voted to legalize assisted dying for terminally ill people. If the letter of the law is followed I might have been able to support this proposal. My fear is that this will now open the floodgates to legalized euthanasia under many more circumstances and the elderly who feel that they are a burden on their relatives will come under pressure to end their own lives.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/30/new-zealand-votes-to-legalise-euthanasia-but-against-legalising-cannabis-in-referendum

Offline lookout

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2020, 01:07:PM »
New Zealand has voted to legalize assisted dying for terminally ill people. If the letter of the law is followed I might have been able to support this proposal. My fear is that this will now open the floodgates to legalized euthanasia under many more circumstances and the elderly who feel that they are a burden on their relatives will come under pressure to end their own lives.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/30/new-zealand-votes-to-legalise-euthanasia-but-against-legalising-cannabis-in-referendum

The thought of it coming to this country is scary to say the least.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2021, 02:25:PM »
Should people with terminal cancer be allowed to end their own life, have they the right to ask another person to help them or should they let nature take its course? https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/top-uk-brain-surgeon-calls-for-urgent-inquiry-into-assisted-dying/ar-BB1fcO34?ocid=msedgntp

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2021, 10:06:AM »
He was a perfectionist in life, an analyser, a battling braveheart on the field of football, the only career he had known since leaving school at 18, a renowned gentleman off the pitch. He ostensibly had the perfect domestic arrangements with a pretty cookie-cutter girlfriend and three beautiful, energetic daughters.

Yet it seemed the pressure became too much. On the evening of March 31 he drove the three miles from his Yeovil home to the Lanes Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa at East Coker with the intention of taking his own life. In retrospect it seems he was on a downward trajectory from his numerous injuries sustained from 2012 onwards, which limited his worth to employers and may have had a deleterious effect on his mental health. It led to an out of character altercation incident at a Shropshire pub the following year, for which he was fortunate to escape jail.

One always asks oneself with suicide whether there were signs, whether there was something one could have done to prevent, where the extended family of Lee and Rachel were to be found, but in the final analysis they are not to blame. Only Lee Collins knew why he chose to end his life, Whether he was of sound mind or not, those left behind have to pick up the pieces and carry on for the children, to create as such a normality as can be created under the circumstances, to grieve yes, but allow the children to thrive in their environment without the guilt which may blight yet further life. https://www.aol.co.uk/news/footballer-lee-collins-died-hanging-153610505.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:50:PM by Steve_uk »

guest29835

« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2021, 03:43:PM »
Arguably, we already have the informal practice of euthanasia, of a sort, in this country's hospitals under the doctrine of double effect, which came out of the R v Bodkin case, and no doubt similar practices existed before that.

For me, the ruling principle is individual bodily sovereignty.  Ultimately, an individual should have the right to do as he wishes, even if foolish, as long as it harms no-one else.  If we protect people too much from their own foolishness, then ultimately we will just end up with more bad decisions in society, not less, because people will not develop experience and judgement.  It can be foolish to commit suicide, and it is terrible if a seemingly healthy person does this, but at the same time some people cannot face life further and would prefer to end things, and sometimes this is in its own way a sensible decision that comes after lengthy reflection on the matter.  Shouldn't we respect people's wishes?  And shouldn't the state perhaps allow a lawful means of exit for these people, to avoid the trauma and complications of suicide?

I appreciate that an official system of lawfully-condoned assisted suicide has dangers.  Vulnerable people such as the elderly, and those who are injured or mentally- or physically-ill and depend on care from others, could under pressure to end their lives.  A rather nasty climate of opinion may also develop in society that elderly people, or people with debilitating injuries, or serious physical or mental illnesses, or disabilities, ought to go for euthanasia and should not be around. 

There is also the problem that even if some sort of euthanasia is brought in on a sensitive, controlled basis, that could prove to be the thin end of the wedge.  Once the principle is established, then campaigners - normally well-intentioned people - will bring actions in the courts challenging the restrictions so that sufferers of lesser afflictions can also apply for assisted death.  And to be fair, these people's arguments would be not without validity, since if you try to restrict things on the basis of type of affliction or circumstances, then there will be some subjectivity and unfairness in that.  Once introduced, it will never be fair to ration euthanasia and have people deciding who should qualify for it and who should not, and though some discretionary authority is inescapable, should those decisions not be based on an evaluation of the patient's own experience and views, rather than an application of rigid top-down criteria?  If an otherwise healthy person suffers from serious depression and just doesn't want to go on with life and that is his considered decision, why should anybody stand in his way?

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2021, 04:31:PM »
Arguably, we already have the informal practice of euthanasia, of a sort, in this country's hospitals under the doctrine of double effect, which came out of the R v Bodkin case, and no doubt similar practices existed before that.

For me, the ruling principle is individual bodily sovereignty.  Ultimately, an individual should have the right to do as he wishes, even if foolish, as long as it harms no-one else.  If we protect people too much from their own foolishness, then ultimately we will just end up with more bad decisions in society, not less, because people will not develop experience and judgement.  It can be foolish to commit suicide, and it is terrible if a seemingly healthy person does this, but at the same time some people cannot face life further and would prefer to end things, and sometimes this is in its own way a sensible decision that comes after lengthy reflection on the matter.  Shouldn't we respect people's wishes?  And shouldn't the state perhaps allow a lawful means of exit for these people, to avoid the trauma and complications of suicide?

I appreciate that an official system of lawfully-condoned assisted suicide has dangers.  Vulnerable people such as the elderly, and those who are injured or mentally- or physically-ill and depend on care from others, could under pressure to end their lives.  A rather nasty climate of opinion may also develop in society that elderly people, or people with debilitating injuries, or serious physical or mental illnesses, or disabilities, ought to go for euthanasia and should not be around. 

There is also the problem that even if some sort of euthanasia is brought in on a sensitive, controlled basis, that could prove to be the thin end of the wedge.  Once the principle is established, then campaigners - normally well-intentioned people - will bring actions in the courts challenging the restrictions so that sufferers of lesser afflictions can also apply for assisted death.  And to be fair, these people's arguments would be not without validity, since if you try to restrict things on the basis of type of affliction or circumstances, then there will be some subjectivity and unfairness in that.  Once introduced, it will never be fair to ration euthanasia and have people deciding who should qualify for it and who should not, and though some discretionary authority is inescapable, should those decisions not be based on an evaluation of the patient's own experience and views, rather than an application of rigid top-down criteria?  If an otherwise healthy person suffers from serious depression and just doesn't want to go on with life and that is his considered decision, why should anybody stand in his way?
Many people (including myself) take John Bodkin Adams to be a serial killer who got off due to his Establishment connections. If I compare how methods of suicide seem to have evolved over the decades I recall the Scottish group EXIT providing a polythene bag with drawstring attached in 1980, twenty years later the character of Dot Cotton in Eastenders was on trial for murder(and rightly so) for giving her friend morphine pills, and in June Brown's own time it was not uncommon to stick one's head in the gas oven, a route which her husband took but became impossible once North Sea gas came onshore. In past months I have read of a couple of cases of young people killing themselves by means of chemicals obtained online, a method which as yet has not I believe been closed down.

As usual with your posts you cover most bases though your dragnet is so wide I'm not altogether sure where you stand. For me the act of suicide is abhorrent by any means, though if it is to be undertaken I suppose it would be best committed by an individual which doesn't cause distress or inconvenience to others (for example to throw yourself in front of a Jubilee Line train might cause lasting mental anguish to the Tube driver or onlookers as well as delaying people's journey to work). If you are terminally ill and have loved ones I think you should spare them the anguish, even if it means a few extra weeks' suffering. I don't like the idea of affording doctors the power to end life, lest this should lead to another Harold Shipman case, a scandal which occurred not far from where I live.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:33:PM by Steve_uk »

guest29835

« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2021, 06:47:PM »
As usual with your posts you cover most bases though your dragnet is so wide I'm not altogether sure where you stand.

That's because I try to think about what I am saying, and I try to make thoughtful contributions to the Forum, and I dislike intellectual arrogance in general.  I find that the more I think about a topic, question or subject, the more taxing it becomes.  When that happens in regard to a tricky issue such as this, it is difficult to come to a definite view one way or the other.  Similarly, on the matter of capital punishment: I am not an enthusiast for it, but I acknowledge that justice demands it in some cases, and I think it should be up to the courts to decide.

Dichotomies are often practically unhelpful anyway.  I think issues such as this have to give way to pragmatism and messy compromises in the end.  It's easy for us to say that a terminally-ill patient should endure a few more weeks' suffering so as uphold high-flown ethical or moral principle and also not upset his relatives, but our view may well be different if we find ourselves as one of the patients enduring such suffering.

For me the act of suicide is abhorrent by any means,

I should think it is abhorrent to many people.  In my case, I think abhorrent is the wrong word.  I am not religious and I do not see a moral dimension to it.  Certainly I find it disturbing and troublesome, and I would try to talk anybody out of it, though I must also acknowledge that it is for the individual to make their own decision about it, and I also acknowledge that where a person of at least minimal mental competence decides to commit suicide for his own reasons, then it must be his right.  Who am I to demand otherwise?

I would find any sort of organised system of euthanasia quite frightening in some ways, due to its deeper implications and possible ramifications.  However, the fact is that authorities in the Netherlands and Switzerland allow it or condone it without any evident disruption to their societies.  It would seem that uptake among the healthy who 'just want to die' is relatively tiny and restricted to desperate people, and such people face a number of obstacles before their wishes will be carried out.  The obstacles may not always be difficult to surmount, but I suppose that's because the point of the system is to ensure that a person's wishes are carried out only after a responsible person has checked that they are fully-informed and know what they are doing. 

Personally, I think that is a reasonable system.  That doesn't mean I like it or that I'm going to be rushing to join Dignitas and book an appointment next week due to the long-term trauma inflicted on me by Adam's stubborn refusal to recognise the genius of my Crispy theory and recommend me for the CT, but it does mean I can acknowledge that other people believe this should be an option on the table for them, and there ought to be a system in place to cater for them without it obnoxiously impacting on the rest of society. 

And one day I might need it.

though if it is to be undertaken I suppose it would be best committed by an individual which doesn't cause distress or inconvenience to others (for example to throw yourself in front of a Jubilee Line train might cause lasting mental anguish to the Tube driver or onlookers as well as delaying people's journey to work). If you are terminally ill and have loved ones I think you should spare them the anguish, even if it means a few extra weeks' suffering. I don't like the idea of affording doctors the power to end life, lest this should lead to another Harold Shipman case, a scandal which occurred not far from where I live.

Arguably doctors do technically have that power under double effect.  What normally happens is that there's a nod and a wink between the patient or the relatives, and the doctor administers an overdose of morphine. Job done.  It's just not discussed much, because it's not something that anybody really wants to discuss, and besides, it's only supposed to be done when the patient is dying anyway.  Nevertheless, it won't always be done with the patient's explicit consent.  The distinction with the Shipman case is that a double effect defence was not possible, and he knew this, which is why he was writing-up all the death certificates.

But euthanasia per se doesn't give the medical profession any 'power' over a patient.  It's a completely different situation.  Euthanasia in the sense we are referring to is strictly elective, and in virtually all cases, there will be no legal dispute over consent.  Thus, a Shipman-type incident could only happen if the doctor forges the consent, and I should think that is virtually impossible because consent will not be a once-only matter, rather it will be given progressively over a long period of time as the patient consults with several doctors and non-medical people.  Therefore I don't see any scope for the criminality you mention.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2021, 06:59:PM »
I wish I could agree with your last two sentences. The sad fact is that Harold Shipman was only caught after approximately 250 murders because one of these victims had apparently bequeathed him a substantial sum of money.

guest29835

« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2021, 07:59:PM »
I wish I could agree with your last two sentences. The sad fact is that Harold Shipman was only caught after approximately 250 murders because one of these victims had apparently bequeathed him a substantial sum of money.

In the context of euthanasia, what you're really referring to is a dispute over consent.  The only way that could arise is if the patient cannot provide oral or written consent, due to an injury or disability.  In those circumstances, either some unconventional means would have to be found for the patient to convey his wishes or the request for euthanasia would have to be denied (assuming the question even arises).  Furthermore, doctors do not normally carry out euthanasia.  The patient must carry out the act and in Switzerland this is under the supervision of a non-medical person.  Under the relevant Swiss laws, the only involvement of the medical profession is diagnostic and administrative and a doctor is not present during the final act. 

If a doctor of the Shipman model wrongly authorises euthanasia and a subsequent examining clinician is unduly influenced by this view to also approve the request, that is wrong and probably a professional disciplinary offence on the part of the doctors involved, but it is not murder or manslaughter by the original doctor because the patient is still killing himself. 

If such a doctor actually kills the patient and then claims it was euthanasia, that is plain murder and little to do with the permissibility of euthanasia itself, in my view.  Such a doctor has plenty of opportunity to murder patients under the cloak of double effect just by fixing himself up with a job at any local hospital - a much easier route to sate his murderous lust.  Falsifying euthanasia would require extensive falsification of medical records and the involvement of other medical professionals, as well as forcing the patient to drink something or be smothered with a bag, which requires violence and thus leaves incriminating evidence behind; whereas in a hospital situation, it is unlikely a doctor would be questioned for overdosing a terminally-ill or badly-suffering elderly patient.

As an aside, I read into the Shipman case a few years ago and came away unsure about the trial.  It's not that I doubt he was guilty of something, and he certainly forged a will, but I take a sceptical approach to everything and it seemed to me that the prosecution case for murder relied mainly on toxicology findings - and I must tell you that I find that quite dubious.

My scepticism deepened when I considered the Smith reports, which I don't give very much credibility as it's clear the authors are engaging in guesswork, perhaps under the social and political pressure of the time.  Ultimately, reports like that are always 'political' first and foremost.  I think it is unlikely somebody would have been killing patients over such a long period.  Assuming he was a murderer, I think it is more likely that he started this when he took over his own practice and found himself working unsupervised, and perhaps for some reason he cracked at this point - maybe just on account of middle age.  Of course, I'm falling into guesswork myself.  I don't know either, but remember Shipman was caught only after some years as a solo general practitioner.  He had previously been in partnership and I am given to understand that no concerns of this nature were raised about him over that period.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2021, 08:10:PM »
I think organized suicide is horrible myself. Out of the 3248 persons who have been assisted to die at Dignitas 21% expresssed "weariness of life" rather than suffering from a terminal illness. Surely they could have been talked round by medical professionals or a man of the cloth?

Where is the dignity in Dignitas anyway..https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1269271/Fury-300-urns-containing-human-remains-Dignitas-suicide-clinic-Lake-Zurich.html

guest29835

« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2021, 08:27:PM »
I think organized suicide is horrible myself. Out of the 3248 persons who have been assisted to die at Dignitas 21% expresssed "weariness of life" rather than suffering from a terminal illness. Surely they could have been talked round by medical professionals or a man of the cloth?

Where is the dignity in Dignitas anyway..https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1269271/Fury-300-urns-containing-human-remains-Dignitas-suicide-clinic-Lake-Zurich.html

Yes, I agree that looked at overall, it is horrible, but that does not mean it should be illegal.  Fox hunting is horrible, but I'm not sure it was right or proper for Parliament to intervene in it.  In reality, we have to accept that other people may make different choices to ours and we may have to tolerate the existence of things that we may not approve of in our own lives. 

The phrase "weariness of life" could encompass lots of things.  You have interpreted it trivially.  Perhaps you have not been in the position of being 'weary of life', but I have and I have been suicidal and did not want to go on, as I did not see the point.  Who is to say it was right for me to go on living?  By what measure or benchmark is this decided?  Some people just want to die.  If somebody does not want to go on and cannot be talked round by appropriate people, then shouldn't their choice be respected?

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2021, 12:40:AM »
In very rare circumstances when the quality of life has been so diminished as to become intolerable I could see the proposed law as helpful to the debate, though I still don't like it in principle. I would have thought that there might be a distinction made between mental and physical health, as it's surely a doctor's duty to help preserve life and treat the sick to the best of his or her ability and not always pander to what may be pressure exerted on an elderly individual to end life the true reasons for which may be concealed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-58014609
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:41:AM by Steve_uk »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2021, 08:17:PM »
He was a perfectionist in life, an analyser, a battling braveheart on the field of football, the only career he had known since leaving school at 18, a renowned gentleman off the pitch. He ostensibly had the perfect domestic arrangements with a pretty cookie-cutter girlfriend and three beautiful, energetic daughters.

Yet it seemed the pressure became too much. On the evening of March 31 he drove the three miles from his Yeovil home to the Lanes Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa at East Coker with the intention of taking his own life. In retrospect it seems he was on a downward trajectory from his numerous injuries sustained from 2012 onwards, which limited his worth to employers and may have had a deleterious effect on his mental health. It led to an out of character altercation incident at a Shropshire pub the following year, for which he was fortunate to escape jail.

One always asks oneself with suicide whether there were signs, whether there was something one could have done to prevent, where the extended family of Lee and Rachel were to be found, but in the final analysis they are not to blame. Only Lee Collins knew why he chose to end his life, Whether he was of sound mind or not, those left behind have to pick up the pieces and carry on for the children, to create as such a normality as can be created under the circumstances, to grieve yes, but allow the children to thrive in their environment without the guilt which may blight yet further life. https://www.aol.co.uk/news/footballer-lee-collins-died-hanging-153610505.html
"I will record a conclusion of suicide"  https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/death-lee-collins-followed-years-5742627
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:18:PM by Steve_uk »