Author Topic: Sheila and one other were responsible......  (Read 21389 times)

Offline Jane

Re: Sheila and one other were responsible......
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2018, 05:33:PM »
I worked with two members of staff at the hospital------both were married to police officers and one whose remark I'll never forget was that some " were unbelievably thick ".Those were her words which she'd repeated from her husband.

So because one woman said that her husband said that some were unbelievably thick you're going to tar them all with the same brush? I'm inclined to think that the "unbelievably thick" turn up in every walk of life. I wonder if they're labelled according to the IQ of the person who's comparing them with themselves?

Offline lookout

« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2018, 05:55:PM »
So because one woman said that her husband said that some were unbelievably thick you're going to tar them all with the same brush? I'm inclined to think that the "unbelievably thick" turn up in every walk of life. I wonder if they're labelled according to the IQ of the person who's comparing them with themselves?

You won't get anywhere surmising how I think !
This was said in the late 80's early 90's when I had the greatest respect for the police,especially those who were on the beat in the area where they knew they could get a good cup of tea and biccies too.

Offline Jane

« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2018, 06:09:PM »

You won't get anywhere surmising how I think !
This was said in the late 80's early 90's when I had the greatest respect for the police,especially those who were on the beat in the area where they knew they could get a good cup of tea and biccies too.

Did you not see the question mark, or did you choose to ignore it so you could have a dig? NOWHERE was I "surmising" how you think. I don't care how you think. What you demonstrate of how you think, I don't much like, and I don't care when it was that you heard the remark, what I said stands whatever decade you name. In all walks of life there will be those found who are unbelievably thick, although it's relative to the intelligence of whomsoever is making the observation.
They were good day when the local bobby dropped by for tea and biccies. In the evenings it might be whiskey. The doctor always had a G&T.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2018, 06:40:PM »
Did you not see the question mark, or did you choose to ignore it so you could have a dig? NOWHERE was I "surmising" how you think. I don't care how you think. What you demonstrate of how you think, I don't much like, and I don't care when it was that you heard the remark, what I said stands whatever decade you name. In all walks of life there will be those found who are unbelievably thick, although it's relative to the intelligence of whomsoever is making the observation.
They were good day when the local bobby dropped by for tea and biccies. In the evenings it might be whiskey. The doctor always had a G&T.

Hope they didn't have hip flasks because that makes a person an alcoholic you know?  ::)
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Jane

« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2018, 06:43:PM »
Hope they didn't have hip flasks because that makes a person an alcoholic you know?  ::)
[/quote

:-X :-X :-X ;)

Offline lookout

« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2018, 06:56:PM »
On duty too,tut tut.

Offline lookout

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2018, 06:59:PM »
The GP who first examined Sheila was also Grahame's ( Lugg ) GP who'd said the man's breath always reeked of ale during surgery.

Offline Jane

« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2018, 07:05:PM »
The GP who first examined Sheila was also Grahame's ( Lugg ) GP who'd said the man's breath always reeked of ale during surgery.

Like so much else, it's relative, isn't it? I guess if one was a teetotaler, one drink would smell like someone had drunk a brewery. My friend's husband was a doctor back in the days when surgery's were open 7 days a week. He'd get in around 9pm after a long day, have a drink or two, go to bed and the phone would ring about 2am. By today's standards he would have been over the limit. Nevertheless he never refused to go out to one of his patients.

Offline lookout

« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2018, 07:14:PM »

Like so much else, it's relative, isn't it? I guess if one was a teetotaler, one drink would smell like someone had drunk a brewery. My friend's husband was a doctor back in the days when surgery's were open 7 days a week. He'd get in around 9pm after a long day, have a drink or two, go to bed and the phone would ring about 2am. By today's standards he would have been over the limit. Nevertheless he never refused to go out to one of his patients.

There used to be locums who stood in for such eventualities unless you lived in the dark ages.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2018, 07:20:PM »

He didn't examin Sheila during surgery. It was the early morning - the would have slept and I very much doubt even he could drink while asleep!
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Jane

« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2018, 07:23:PM »

There used to be locums who stood in for such eventualities unless you lived in the dark ages.

This is probably going back to 1950/60. There were just 2 doctors in the practice. They lived way out in the sticks, several miles from their village surgery which was several miles from the nearest big town. Surely you remember how it was? My mother's doctor came out to her brother in the 1940's in his pyjamas, diagnozed pneumonia, took him into hospital and drained his lungs still wearing his pyjamas and carpet slippers.

Offline Jane

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2018, 07:27:PM »
He didn't examin Sheila during surgery. It was the early morning - the would have slept and I very much doubt even he could drink while asleep!

I seem to recall that Grahame had had one or two disputes with him. I can't imagine such didn't colour his view of him. Perhaps causing one nip to become a bottle full?

Offline lookout

« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2018, 07:32:PM »
This is probably going back to 1950/60. There were just 2 doctors in the practice. They lived way out in the sticks, several miles from their village surgery which was several miles from the nearest big town. Surely you remember how it was? My mother's doctor came out to her brother in the 1940's in his pyjamas, diagnozed pneumonia, took him into hospital and drained his lungs still wearing his pyjamas and carpet slippers.

I was going to mention the 40's and I too remember a doctor with his pyjamas on under his trousers,spats and all,when I developed scarlet fever and was whisked to a sanatorium in a rickety ambulance.

Offline Jane

« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2018, 07:48:PM »

I was going to mention the 40's and I too remember a doctor with his pyjamas on under his trousers,spats and all,when I developed scarlet fever and was whisked to a sanatorium in a rickety ambulance.

I certainly wouldn't wish my doctor to work such hours, but my friend's husband and his partner were both young men. They worked one weekend on and one off but they ran their surgery 7 days a week with the help of their wives, both nurses -one a doctor's daughter- who had to take their toddlers with them. Incredible!

Offline lookout

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2018, 07:54:PM »
I certainly wouldn't wish my doctor to work such hours, but my friend's husband and his partner were both young men. They worked one weekend on and one off but they ran their surgery 7 days a week with the help of their wives, both nurses -one a doctor's daughter- who had to take their toddlers with them. Incredible!

Makes you wonder why the same can't be done today.