Author Topic: Nevill's Hair style  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Bubo bubo

• Veteran Member
Nevill's Hair style
« on: February 23, 2023, 11:43:AM »
I thought it might be appropriate to return to the misidentification of NB by Collins. It is said that one of the reasons for Collins mistaking NB for a female was the length of his hair. However if you check the photos in the gallery you will see that wearing his hair long was an exception rather than the rule.

Offline Jane

Re: Nevill's Hair style
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 06:44:PM »
I thought it might be appropriate to return to the misidentification of NB by Collins. It is said that one of the reasons for Collins mistaking NB for a female was the length of his hair. However if you check the photos in the gallery you will see that wearing his hair long was an exception rather than the rule.

It depends largely on how you define "long". I don't think it's being suggested -nor would it be true- that his hair was shoulder length. However, the front hair was long, it was also wavy -similar to, but softer, than the sharper styling of today in which the sides and back hair is cropped using clippers, and the top is allowed to grow. In both cases, if the head is down, and there's been no 'product' to control it, the hair will fall forward. Nevill's was a style favoured by most men of his age and social standing, but it required a good head of hair.

Offline Bubo bubo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 07:46:PM »
It depends largely on how you define "long". I don't think it's being suggested -nor would it be true- that his hair was shoulder length. However, the front hair was long, it was also wavy -similar to, but softer, than the sharper styling of today in which the sides and back hair is cropped using clippers, and the top is allowed to grow. In both cases, if the head is down, and there's been no 'product' to control it, the hair will fall forward. Nevill's was a style favoured by most men of his age and social standing, but it required a good head of hair.
I agree with some of what you say. However if he wore it longer on top and combed it back it would have to be very long for it to fall forward and at the sides to give the impression of a female. the view from the window would mean much of the longer hair you describe would be obscured.

Offline Jane

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 08:58:PM »
I agree with some of what you say. However if he wore it longer on top and combed it back it would have to be very long for it to fall forward and at the sides to give the impression of a female. the view from the window would mean much of the longer hair you describe would be obscured.

The length is dependent on the shape of the skull. I've just measured my own, which is particularly short from hairline to nape -Nevill's, from the pictures, much longer- and the distance is thirteen inches. No one, looking through a window, would be able to discern the finer points. All they would see is long hair falling forward. To a policeman required to have a regulated haircut, it could well have appeared to be the body of a female.

Offline Rob_

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 08:30:PM »

The length is dependent on the shape of the skull. I've just measured my own, which is particularly short from hairline to nape -Nevill's, from the pictures, much longer- and the distance is thirteen inches. No one, looking through a window, would be able to discern the finer points. All they would see is long hair falling forward. To a policeman required to have a regulated haircut, it could well have appeared to be the body of a female.

Surely the police had descriptions of the three adults?

Two very slender dark haired females and one 6' 4" grey haired male.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 09:36:PM »
Surely the police had descriptions of the three adults?

Two very slender dark haired females and one 6' 4" grey haired male.
But his head was in the coal scuttle, with grey hairs protruding.

Offline Rob_

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 09:53:PM »
But his head was in the coal scuttle, with grey hairs protruding.

I am not too worried about this to be honest though I remember in one statement I read the officer said something like the police were rushing around looking for Sheila which is how the sugar etc. got spilled.