Author Topic: A Christmas miscellany: cousin Gilbert, Neilia Biden, and Within These Walls  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Steve_uk

As regulars here will know my Christmas thread has established itself as a firm favourite amongst members down the years. Maybe you think the timing is a little premature and Christmas has become too commercialized, or you enjoy the run-up as the spiritual dissemination permeates gradually amongst friends and neighbours. Whether celebrations may be limited this year as you hunker down with family or spend it simply alone and revert to stuffing your face with turkey or sweetmeats the joy of Christmas is we celebrate the birth of the baby Jesus, an event which is within the human understanding of us all.

As one life comes into the world so another is taken, and so it was with cousin Gilbert of Woodham Walter, who though having sired no children of his own was a generous contributor to the playground fund and Christmas Tree collection in the village. He was a familiar figure every market day atop his red Massey Ferguson tractor, waving to passers-by as he trundled along the Old London Road with his grey checked button up shirt, ruddy nose and farmer's tan, his Peterson clay pipe dangling from an orifice set somewhere amongst grey stubble, sounding his chrome Dixie trumpet air horn as he turned the corner with pygmy goat's milk and Pentland javelin wares in the trailer. The exact cause of his demise is unknown, though it was noted by locals that he had absented himself from the Bell Inn public house for some time.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:48:AM by Steve_uk »

Offline lookout

Re: Christmas 2020: cousin Gilbert of Woodham Walter is no more
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 07:23:PM »
What a beautiful place. Memories of days gone by.

Offline Steve_uk

What a beautiful place. Memories of days gone by.
Gilbert is a composite character. I had Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard partly in mind. I hope we can all find peace as Advent approaches marking the start of the Christmas season.

This is Woodham Walter: https://www.woodhamwalterpc.org/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 07:24:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline lookout

Re: Christmas 2020: cousin Gilbert of Woodham Walter is no more
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 10:08:PM »
Gilbert is a composite character. I had Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard partly in mind. I hope we can all find peace as Advent approaches marking the start of the Christmas season.

This is Woodham Walter: https://www.woodhamwalterpc.org/

There'll be peace alright if the lockdown continues here in the North West. As it is there'll just be the cats and I  ;D ;D

Offline Steve_uk

"To suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" from Shakespeare's Hamlet, and so it has proved for Joe Biden, now elevated to the office of the most powerful person in the Western world. It would be chilly, but not extreme weather in Hockessin, Delaware that Monday morning 18th December 1972 as Neilia set off in the brown Chevrolet station-wagon towards the larger city of Wilmington in search of a Christmas tree, with ample room in the back for Beau, 4, Hunter, 3 and 13-month-old Naomi, nicknamed Amy, on the fateful eight and a half mile journey.

Husband Joe had only weeks before been elected as Senator for the state of Delaware, a culmination of six years of effort by the couple to oust Republican James Caleb Boggs, who by this time was in his sixties and seen by many as out of touch with the prevailing issues of the day, namely the Vietnam War and racial equality raging at the time, the latter cause assisting him greatly in securing the presidency almost fifty years later.

Whether Neilia was dreaming of family life together with her husband's new job,whether she was making social plans in her head with the new circle of friends she would encounter, whether the roads were unfamiliar to her having recently moved to the area or distracted by the infants, we will never know. It does seem out of character for a woman so intelligent and dedicated to her husband's cause to have such a lapse in concentration that she ignored a STOP sign at the junction, and hit head-on a tractor-trailer driving at speed along Route 7, delivering its corn wares to a Pennsylvania market.

Neilia's car was hurled 150 feet, tossed into an embankment. The driver of the truck, Curtis Dunn, climbed down from the cab to render assistance, but both Neilia and Amy had suffered fatal injuries and were pronounced dead on arrival at Wilmington General Hospital. Beau had sustained a broken leg and Hunter a fractured skull, though both survived. Joe was later to make unfounded accusations at the truck driver of intoxication, as we maybe are all wont to do at times of extreme stress, though did not apologize to Mr. Dunn's children for the remarks until 2008.

The President-Elect was to suffer further tragedy in 2015 with the loss of his son Beau to brain cancer.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:51:AM by Steve_uk »

Offline Steve_uk

Does anybody remember the drama series Within These Walls, with a sterling performance from the late Googie Withers and in this episode the late Jerome Willis? https://youtu.be/VWXQbgamOg8
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:16:AM by Steve_uk »

Offline lookout

Does anybody remember the drama series Within These Walls, with a sterling performance from the late Googie Withers and in this episode the late Jerome Willis? https://youtu.be/VWXQbgamOg8

Gosh yes, that's going back a bit but a good film.

Offline Steve_uk

Gosh yes, that's going back a bit but a good film.
I don't remember all of the episodes lookout but I do know once Googie left it wasn't the same.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:07:AM by Steve_uk »

Offline Steve_uk

Offline Cambridgecutie

• Veteran Member
Patrick O'Connor, Barrister, Doughty Street Chambers: "It will have to be a slam dunk.  It will have to be something of a blockbuster piece of evidence to have a chance".

Offline Steve_uk

How's about posting something uplifting for a change?
I thought it might interest you. If you want relaxing music listen to Chopin or Carpenters Gold on YouTube.https://youtu.be/4nO4W1_jea8?list=PLF1B9927F68CFA46C
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 08:08:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline lookout

I thought it might interest you. If you want relaxing music listen to Chopin or Carpenters Gold on YouTube.https://youtu.be/4nO4W1_jea8?list=PLF1B9927F68CFA46C

A lovely life and voice cut so short  :(

guest29835

For myself, it is not Advent and Christmas, but the Yule-time and Winter Solstice.

Shakespeare on an English winter, from Love's Labour's Lost:

WINTER.
When icicles hang by the wall
And Dick the shepherd blows his nail
And Tom bears logs into the hall
And milk comes frozen home in pail,
When blood is nipp'd and ways be foul,
Then nightly sings the staring owl, Tu-whit;
Tu-who, a merry note,
While greasy Joan doth keel the pot.
When all aloud the wind doth blow
And coughing drowns the parson's saw
And birds sit brooding in the snow
And Marian's nose looks red and raw,
When roasted crabs hiss in the bowl,
Then nightly sings the staring owl, Tu-whit;
Tu-who, a merry note,
While greasy Joan doth keel the pot.

Yet Thackeray's The Mahogany Tree, captures better what I see as the ideal experience of this season.

Christmas is here;
Winds whistle shrill,
Icy and chill,
Little care we;
Little we fear
Weather without,
Shelter'd about
The Mahogany Tree.

Once on the boughs
Birds of rare plume
Sang, in its bloom;
Night birds are we;
Here we carouse,
Singing, like them,
Perch'd round the stem
Of the jolly old tree.

Here let us sport,
Boys, as we sit—
Laughter and wit
Flashing so free.
Life is but short—
When we are gone,
Let them sing on,
Round the old tree.

Evenings we knew,
Happy as this;
Faces we miss,
Pleasant to see.
Kind hearts and true,
Gentle and just,
Peace to your dust!
We sing round the tree.

Care, like a dun,
Lurks at the gate:
Let the dog wait;
Happy we'll be!
Drink every one;
Pile up the coals,
Fill the red bowls,
Round the old tree.

Drain we the cup.—
Friend, art afraid?
Spirits are laid
In the Red Sea.
Mantle it up;
Empty it yet;
Let us forget,
Round the old tree.

Sorrows, begone!
Life and its ills,
Duns and their bills,
Bid we to flee.
Come with the dawn,
Blue-devil sprite,
Leave us to-night,
Round the old tree.

Offline lookout

Goodness me, I used to rattle off the Shakespeare poem once upon a time, learning it for a stint on the stage at school when I was 14 as no prompting or the holding of scripts was allowed. We had to throw our voices forward to the audience ( no muffling ) sans elocution teacher who I missed nearby for the odd prodding if I didn't " breathe " at the right time.

A far cry from the teaching of today, eh, Steve ? 

guest29835

Goodness me, I used to rattle off the Shakespeare poem once upon a time, learning it for a stint on the stage at school when I was 14 as no prompting or the holding of scripts was allowed. We had to throw our voices forward to the audience ( no muffling ) sans elocution teacher who I missed nearby for the odd prodding if I didn't " breathe " at the right time.

A far cry from the teaching of today, eh, Steve ?

I agree.  Shakespeare is to be performed rather than read.  I used to love Shakespeare at school and became a bit of a bardolator.  I recommend the Stanley Wells complete edition.