Author Topic: The case of James Hanratty  (Read 2299 times)

Offline ILB

Re: The case of James Hanratty
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2023, 08:54:PM »
The science suggests otherwise.

Why would anyone take Hanratty's word at face value given his background?  Just because Hanratty wasn't charged or convicted with any sex crimes against women doesn't mean he didn't commit any.   

According to VS Hanratty shot MG because he was startled when MG moved too quickly.  He may then have decided to murder VS to prevent her going to the police.  Which begs the question why rape her? 

I believe Hanratty was a psychopath as per two diagnoses and needed locking up for his own protection and society at large.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hanratty

What true big picture are you referring to?  Its surely an open and shut case?  Look at Hanratty's background and look at the science that convicted him.  Slam dunk.

It was a completely motiveless crime.

Hanratty had no previous violent offences against women.

Look at Hanratty's background? One of four children? Convictions for petty theft????

For the record I believe Hanratty to be gulity
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:59:PM by ILB »
If yesterday you hated me. Then today you can not stop the love that binds from me to you. And you to me

Offline ILB

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2023, 08:57:PM »
Hanratty spent a lot of hours with VS and MG

That at the very least can suggest he was either hesitant to kill. Or had no particular plan in mind. Cold blooded instant murder is excluded

Robbery doesn't seem to be a motive.

Do you believe Hanratty pretended he could not  operate a motor car?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:00:PM by ILB »
If yesterday you hated me. Then today you can not stop the love that binds from me to you. And you to me

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2023, 09:24:PM »
It was a completely motiveless crime.

Hanratty had no previous violent offences against women.

Look at Hanratty's background? One of four children? Convictions for petty theft????

For the record I believe Hanratty to be gulity
He was moving on in his own mind from his previous modus operandi. Maybe he wanted the thrill of being the stick-up man. Valerie Storie said he said he felt like a cowboy.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2023, 09:30:PM »
Hanratty spent a lot of hours with VS and MG

That at the very least can suggest he was either hesitant to kill. Or had no particular plan in mind. Cold blooded instant murder is excluded

Robbery doesn't seem to be a motive.

Do you believe Hanratty pretended he could not  operate a motor car?
I think if the culprit had been Peter Alphon the couple would have received a lecture on morality. The haphazard driving of the car is more difficult to explain. The only thing I have to go on is Carole France and a guy called Leonard in Ireland claimed he drove erratically. VS says Hanratty claimed to drive "all sorts of cars". (Point 15viii) https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff7b460d03e7f57eb15a5
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:40:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline ILB

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2023, 09:31:PM »
I think if the culprit had been Peter Alphon the couple would have received a lecture on morality. The haphazard driving of the car is more difficult to explain. The only thing I have to go on is Carole France and a guy called Leonard in Ireland claimed he drove erratically. VS says Hanratty claimed to drive "all sorts of cars". (Point 15viii) https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff7b460d03e7f57eb15a5

If you can drive a manual car you can drive any car.

I can remember in Paul foots book is stated VS had to show the killer how to use the gears.

Either Hanratty pretended not to be able to drive to put police off the scent

Or the killer had little driving ability.

Hanratty was a seasoned car theif. And could drive. A lot of his previousvoffences were vehicle related

The car I believe was a Morris minor. Extremely popular at the time
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:36:PM by ILB »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2023, 09:50:PM »
If you can drive a manual car you can drive any car.

I can remember in Paul foots book is stated VS had to show the killer how to use the gears.

Either Hanratty pretended not to be able to drive to put police off the scent

Or the killer had little driving ability.

Hanratty was a seasoned car theif. And could drive. A lot of his previousvoffences were vehicle related

The car I believe was a Morris minor. Extremely popular at the time
The teachers considered him ineducable. I doubt he had any meaningful life skills. He drifted from one housebreaking assignment to another, living off the proceeds. He wasn't successful in that occupation either, given that he was caught and spent time in various prisons.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:19:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline ILB

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2023, 10:45:PM »
But he was a cretin. The teachers considered him ineducable. I doubt he had any meaningful life skills. He drifted from one housebreaking assignment to another, living off the proceeds. He wasn't successful in that occupation either, given that he was caught and spent time in various prisons.

Be that as it may Steve.

A cretin, a convicted criminal can still drive a car. Myself Hanratty, Jeremy bamber etc

Offline ILB

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2023, 10:47:PM »
I think the driving aspect of the case is very interesting.

If Hanratty is gulity why would he lie about not being able to drive ?

Would a Dumbo such as himself even think to do that ?

Alphon couldn't drive if i recall correctly

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:48:PM by ILB »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2023, 10:55:PM »
I think the driving aspect of the case is very interesting.

If Hanratty is gulity why would he lie about not being able to drive ?

Would a Dumbo such as himself even think to do that ?

Alphon couldn't drive if i recall correctly
No he couldn't, but why take Gregston on a wild goose chase when one assumes he would want to get home as quickly as possible?

Offline ILB

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2023, 11:02:PM »
No he couldn't, but why take Gregston on a wild goose chase when one assumes he would want to get home as quickly as possible?

I believe Hanratty to be gulity.

But I don't believe Hanratty was a sole operator.

Hanratty, on the fringes of the underworld.ex con. Et al

Janet gregsten unhappy with her husband having an affair with VS.

Having said that, this is just a theory. But I believe under the circumstances the most likely

In regards to alphon. I have no idea whether he was just some eccentric or involved
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 11:04:PM by ILB »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2023, 10:35:PM »
I believe Hanratty to be gulity.

But I don't believe Hanratty was a sole operator.

Hanratty, on the fringes of the underworld.ex con. Et al

Janet gregsten unhappy with her husband having an affair with VS.

Having said that, this is just a theory. But I believe under the circumstances the most likely

In regards to alphon. I have no idea whether he was just some eccentric or involved
You wouldn't employ Hanratty to do any job I would have thought.

Offline ILB

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2023, 10:49:PM »
You wouldn't employ Hanratty to do any job I would have thought.

Perhaps she didn't directly.

Through an associate through an associate etc.

Again just theoryising

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2023, 11:11:PM »
Perhaps she didn't directly.

Through an associate through an associate etc.

Again just theoryising
In this hypothesis you either scare a courting couple by waving a gun at them and then retreat or you give them a moral lecture at gunpoint from the back of the car. The killer wasn't capable of holding a meaningful conversation, neither did he warn them about their extra-marital affair, which makes me think he wasn't aware of it.