Author Topic: Brett Collins  (Read 3796 times)

Offline mb1

Brett Collins
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:12:PM »
This chap appears in the David Shaw manuscript, a New Zealander JB met while down under.

Apparently, he was in Greece, heard about the deaths and flew over, appearing in the area within a couple of days. He was on the Amsterdam holiday and appears to have been on the scene until Jeremy was arrested.

Does anyone know any more?

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
Re: Brett Collins
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:23:PM »
This chap appears in the David Shaw manuscript, a New Zealander JB met while down under.

Apparently, he was in Greece, heard about the deaths and flew over, appearing in the area within a couple of days. He was on the Amsterdam holiday and appears to have been on the scene until Jeremy was arrested.

Does anyone know any more?

He's mentioned an awful lot in Robert Boutflour's diary. In fact, Mr Boutflour seemed rather obsessed about him.

andrea

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:24:PM »
yeah, jb's family became suspicious of brett collins and had him checked out. he had no criminal record, infact it turns out he just owned some sort of cafe or similar in new zealand. he was supposed to have known alot about antiques and advised jeremy on which antiques were epensive etc.

Offline mb1

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:29:PM »
Have just found another Brett Collins on the Guardian newspaper database.

Profile is as follows:

Brett Collins is a co-ordinator for Justice Action and a spokesperson for teh Prisoners Action Group. He served ten years as an inmate in Australia. Over the past thirty years he has worked with the justice system and represented prisoners' interests nationally and internationally.

Could this be the same Brett?

andrea

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:34:PM »
it could be? i know the family had him checked out and found nothing. so if it is him he may have been in trouble since the whf case.

Offline mb1

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:40:PM »
If it is the same one, he has written some interesting pieces, particularly about the incarceration of offenders from 'sink estates' and them simply dumping them back there.

Still, it is interesting that whoever this BC is, he appeared then seemed to disappear.

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 09:40:PM »
it could be? i know the family had him checked out and found nothing. so if it is him he may have been in trouble since the whf case.
--------------------------------

interesting...
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive"...

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:55:PM »
I'm almost certain it's not the same Brett Collins.  I don't think the Bret Collins you've found was even in the UK.  Other reasons it's unlikely to be him - can't remember just now - I don't think they look alike either.

Offline mb1

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:17:PM »
I'm almost certain it's not the same Brett Collins.  I don't think the Bret Collins you've found was even in the UK.  Other reasons it's unlikely to be him - can't remember just now - I don't think they look alike either.

So did you know the 'Brett Collins' mentioned by Shaw?

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:30:PM »

So did you know the 'Brett Collins' mentioned by Shaw?

No, no, but I've seen a photograph of him (among others) in an old crime magazine.

Offline mb1

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 12:38:AM »
Double checked the Brett Collins I found.
He has worked within the UK penal arena for around '30 years'.

Long enough.

Focuses on 'injustice'.

Hate coincidence.

Offline mb1

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 12:54:AM »
This Brett Collins is very active down under. He also organises Freedom For Drug War Prisoners. The campaign bus travels around NSW, with campaigners openly smoking cannabis - including parking up to smoke outside prisons.
Briefly married (early 80s) to the activist Irina Dunn who coined the phrase 'a woman needs a man like  a fish needs a bicycle'. ('Borrowed' by Gloria Steinen then U2.)

Following from one of his own campaign pages:

Brett is the managing director of Breakout Press, driving force behind the Sydney based prisoner action group, Justice Action, and a legend in NSW jails. As a young father and Wollongong university student he had been arrested as an accessory to an armed hold-up in which a police officer had been shot, hand cuffed to a chair and beaten throughout a night by the investigating police, verballed and convicted and sentenced to 17 years jail.

Long sessions of solitary confinement and many more bashings in jail had quelled neither his great spirit nor his burning sense of injustice. A boxer with a fast eye, wit and grit, his presence signals he will always give as good as he gets and never give up. After a time - of which he had plenty - the prison officers, he told me, decided negotiation with Brett was more productive than intimidation and Brett became a leader of prisoners on the inside until his release in the early 1980s. He has been an active campaigner for prisoner rights ever since.

Are we sure this isn't the Brett Collins?

Offline mb1

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 01:17:AM »
Think only Mike - or perhaps HorseyDave - can put me out of my misery.

Have now found something else that makes me fairly certain this is the Brett Collins.

Not that it means much...

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 03:34:PM »
Well, if it is the same Brett Collins then the photo I've seen of him in a crime magazine on the WHF killings is not a photo of the person it claims it is a photo of.  Not to mention the fact that the investigator that Boutflour hired must have done a rather poor job!  Brett Collins is a common name.

Offline Patti

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 07:19:PM »
What happened to Brett E Collin's???????????