Author Topic: Sheila's first rifle load:  (Read 7918 times)

Offline Caroline

Re: Sheila's first rifle load:
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2019, 04:02:PM »

That's a very sweeping statement, based, I believe, in the desire for perfection. Whilst we live in a world in which people lie, cheat, defraud, embezzle, abuse, rape and murder, we're unlikely to find it.

Also, genuine MOJ are few and far between.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline lookout

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2019, 04:05:PM »

Bit ironic, that, for someone who believes in the death penalty. Yes, SOME mistakes have been made. Probably more in the past than now. It's as "not good enough" now as it was then, however, if it's perfection you're looking for, you'll have to wait and see what you find in the next world because you'll certainly not find it in this one.

No, not ironic as I still believe in the death penalty as a successful deterrent to those who commit murder.
Surgeons have to be perfectionists in their profession so why not the police ? People's lives still matter.

Offline lookout

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2019, 04:07:PM »
You believe in the death penalty! And who are the hundreds?

Those filling the prisons in this country.

Offline lookout

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2019, 04:09:PM »

That's a very sweeping statement, based, I believe, in the desire for perfection. Whilst we live in a world in which people lie, cheat, defraud, embezzle, abuse, rape and murder, we're unlikely to find it.

Not so much perfection as damn common sense !

Offline Jane

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2019, 04:20:PM »

Not so much perfection as damn common sense !

Are you setting yourself up as having more than the police?

Offline lookout

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2019, 04:30:PM »
You've only to look at the case involving the Met when they were all taken in by Carl Beech. :o
Who couldn't have seen through a scumbag like that ? Answer= the top brass from the Met !!   ::)

Offline Jane

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2019, 04:46:PM »
You've only to look at the case involving the Met when they were all taken in by Carl Beech. :o
Who couldn't have seen through a scumbag like that ? Answer= the top brass from the Met !!   ::)

I fear that may have had rather more to do with how we've evolved, as a society, than failings on behalf of the police. Child abuse is rife. No one doubts it. They've become more so following the horror which was Jimmy Saville. WE have the luxury of being able to refer to people, who 'make' on the back of such, as scumbags but whatever the police may have thought of him (Beech) privately, there were protocols to follow and be SEEN to be followed. The irony is that possibly THEIR gut feeling might have told them such was the case but without something to back it up, gut feelings are worth nothing.

Offline lookout

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2019, 04:54:PM »

Are you setting yourself up as having more than the police?

In some cases, yes.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2019, 04:54:PM »

No, not ironic as I still believe in the death penalty as a successful deterrent to those who commit murder.
Surgeons have to be perfectionists in their profession so why not the police ? People's lives still matter.

And no one dies on the operating table?

Offline Caroline

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2019, 04:55:PM »

Oh the wonder of hindsight!

Offline Caroline

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2019, 04:57:PM »

If it was a successful deterrent, in places where it is enforced, there should be no murders then?

Offline lookout

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2019, 04:59:PM »

I fear that may have had rather more to do with how we've evolved, as a society, than failings on behalf of the police. Child abuse is rife. No one doubts it. They've become more so following the horror which was Jimmy Saville. WE have the luxury of being able to refer to people, who 'make' on the back of such, as scumbags but whatever the police may have thought of him (Beech) privately, there were protocols to follow and be SEEN to be followed. The irony is that possibly THEIR gut feeling might have told them such was the case but without something to back it up, gut feelings are worth nothing.

" How we've evolved as a society ", nothing. It's a matter for the police not society. It's not our job to go after criminals. It's society's job to hope that police do their job efficiently.

My " gut-feeling " would have been a heck of a lot different to theirs I can tell you.

Offline Jane

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2019, 05:04:PM »

In some cases, yes.

That sort of arrogance in the hands of the amateur can be dangerous in the extreme.

Offline Jane

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2019, 05:09:PM »

" How we've evolved as a society ", nothing. It's a matter for the police not society. It's not our job to go after criminals. It's society's job to hope that police do their job efficiently.

My " gut-feeling " would have been a heck of a lot different to theirs I can tell you.

Oh right! So it's the fault of the police that they, teachers and parents can no longer reprimand, is it. THEY don't make the rules, lookout, they can only follow those that others make.

Offline lookout

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2019, 05:10:PM »
Interestingly my daughter works with " older " cops and by all accounts I'm on the same wave-length as they are with thoughts on certain subjects of law being very similar. One's a dog-handler.
 On the other side of the coin is a much younger officer who's ready to arrest anyone without a second thought. He'll never learn ! Over zealousness is never good.