Author Topic: Sheila using a shot gun.  (Read 6397 times)

Offline David1819

Re: Sheila using a shot gun.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 08:58:PM »
But apparently Nevill is in such a congenial state that he is able to telephone Jeremy. The blood groupings also suggest that he moved downstairs at some point.

No. Common sense dictates that he made the call prior to getting shot in the first place.

Offline David1819

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 09:16:PM »
Steve, this statement from the coroner caught my eye today.

"The bodies were then laid out in the viewing room at the mortuary and Miss Julie MUGFORD attended at 4.35pm that same day and identified each body to me. She was very deliberate and pointed to each body and took care to note the slight old scars in the case of the twin boys. She did not appear to be unduly distressed and was not hasty about the identifications."

As you see it: Having known Jeremy done this, she must be one very cold fish!

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 09:51:PM »
No. Common sense dictates that he made the call prior to getting shot in the first place.
You simply don't understand the relationship between Jeremy and both parents.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 09:51:PM »
Steve, this statement from the coroner caught my eye today.

"The bodies were then laid out in the viewing room at the mortuary and Miss Julie MUGFORD attended at 4.35pm that same day and identified each body to me. She was very deliberate and pointed to each body and took care to note the slight old scars in the case of the twin boys. She did not appear to be unduly distressed and was not hasty about the identifications."

As you see it: Having known Jeremy done this, she must be one very cold fish!
Completely irrelevant to the thread title.

Offline Adam

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 12:43:PM »
The two main options available to Nevill were -

Take the rifle off Sheila when near to her - arms lenght/3 to 4 feet away.

Use an object such as a chair or stool to charge and corner Sheila.

--------

Either should provide guaranteed success.

No chance of Sheila firing a shot if Nevill goes to disarm her when he is a few feet away.

If Nevill charged Sheila with a object protecting his face and torso, Sheila would only have a second to aim at the legs.

The actual wrestling for the rifle will only be a few seconds. Nevill was twice as big & strong.

Nevill would not stand for anything so riduculous at 3am, from anyone in the household. He would probably be angry & sympathetic towards Sheila & would tell CC what happened the following day. It is likely June will be awake & know what happened.

Nevill would not tell Bamber what happened the following day.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:47:PM by Adam »
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline lookout

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 12:46:PM »
I'm afraid Sheila's delusions got in the way of a family living happily ever after !

Offline Adam

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 12:56:PM »
The kitchen is not huge. The rifle if being pointed would cover several feet of it 

It is likely Nevill got very near to Sheila & the rifle while she was holding it. If not, there were plenty of objects he could use to protect himself when moving forward.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 01:02:PM by Adam »

Offline Jane

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 01:08:PM »
The kitchen is not huge. The rifle if being pointed would cover several feet of it 

It is likely Nevill got very near to Sheila & the rifle while she was holding the it. If not, there were plenty of objects he could use to protect himself when moving forward.

That he would have to lose concentration on her to find. There were chairs. He may not have been close enough to reach one. The table, perhaps? He'd have to move a chair. He could hurl something smaller. The shooter had their finger on the trigger. I don't somehow think that he's have risked grasping the barrel when the shooter was holding the business end

Offline lookout

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 01:11:PM »

It is likely Nevill got very near to Sheila & the rifle while she was holding it. If not, there were plenty of objects he could use to protect himself when moving forward.

Hence why it wouldn't have been difficult to have missed a shot---even from an amateur.

Offline Adam

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 01:22:PM »
This from the COA -

Nevill Bamber, was 61 at the time of his death. He was a farmer and a local Magistrate and lived with his wife June at White House Farm.

He was a well-built man, 6' 4" tall and in good physical health. Those who knew him spoke of him as a good and fair man.

He kept a number of guns including shotguns and the rifle, which was to feature in the killings, at the farm. He shot on his own farm as well as attending shoots locally.

A number of witnesses called at the trial spoke of the care with which Nevill Bamber treated the weapons kept at the farmhouse. He would clean the guns following use and would not allow them to be left lying around.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 01:23:PM by Adam »

Offline Adam

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 01:31:PM »

The rifle was a .22 Anshutz automatic rifle. Together with a Parker Hale sound moderator (silencer) and telescopic sights, it had been bought by Nevill Bamber on 30 November 1984. 500 rounds of ammunition had also been purchased.

There was evidence that the gun was used to shoot rabbits and would only ever be used with the sound moderator and the telescopic sights attached. A screwdriver was required to remove the telescopic sights but there was evidence that this was not normally done because of the time it took to realign them.

----------
Obviously Nevill would know Sheila holding this rifle was no threat to him.

Offline Adam

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 01:43:PM »

The rifle bore blood smearing on the barrel in the region of the fore-sight and around the mechanism and there were splashes of blood to the left side of the weapon.

The appearance of the blood staining was consistent with it having been used to strike somebody who was already bleeding. On analysis the blood was found to be human blood but tests to determine grouping were unsuccessful.

A "pull-through" on the barrel of the rifle was conducted for any traces of blood within the weapon. There were none.

----------

Offline Adam

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 01:50:PM »

During this conversation the appellant said he saw rabbits outside the house so he took the .22 rifle from the office/den, loaded it with eight to ten rounds from a box of ammunition that he left in the kitchen and went outside.

In fact he fired no shots outside and he then left the gun in the kitchen having removed the magazine and the bullet which was in the breach.

----------

Does this mean Sheila would have had to load before firing her first shots?

Offline Adam

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 01:55:PM »

The appellant said his sister had not previously fired the gun, although she had walked with him when he had been out shooting with his father.

He described his father as reasonably careful with guns and agreed that had Mr Bamber seen the rifle lying around in the kitchen he would have put it away in the gun cupboard.

He agreed it would have taken him 30 seconds to have returned the gun to its cupboard and that he had been lazy.

The appellant confirmed he had not seen his sister fire a gun as an adult.

----------

Sheila had walked with Jeremy years ago. No wonder Nevill was in a panic when he saw her holding a rifle for shooting rabbits.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 01:59:PM by Adam »

Offline lookout

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2019, 01:57:PM »
Loaded one or two at a time.