Author Topic: Could Maxine Carr Get Another Teaching Job in a School  (Read 757 times)

Offline Jane

Re: Could Maxine Carr Get Another Teaching Job in a School
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 03:50:PM »
She did, actually.  She was cautioned for drug offences.  However, I agree with the thrust of what you say.  The regime was more relaxed back then, the caution would have been deleted/disregarded after a due period, and it is unlikely it would have affected her teaching career over the long term.

Such was the sense of outrage, naturally stirred up by the gutter press, I believe it may have taken a very long time before some parents allowed their children to attend a school where she was teaching. Reputations are easy to loose, much more difficult to recover.

Offline lookout

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 03:53:PM »

If the above doesn't read as begrudging, I don't know what does, however, it doesn't answer how you'd have liked to see her treated at the time of the trial.

Not begrudging at all. People can do as they like for all I care but being honest wasn't one of her finer points. She should have been made to answer questions at the trial which were put to her by the defence instead of pretending to break down at every question. She was probably too busy thinking what she'd lose if she answered truthfully.

guest7363

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 03:58:PM »

Not begrudging at all. People can do as they like for all I care but being honest wasn't one of her finer points. She should have been made to answer questions at the trial which were put to her by the defence instead of pretending to break down at every question. She was probably too busy thinking what she'd lose if she answered truthfully.
Not defending her Lookout, her emotions in the dock would have been running away with her,  making it hard to concentrate, think sensibly and cause her to break down

Offline Jane

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 04:00:PM »

Well I'm not sure just how she could have been MADE to answer, but she could have been directed to answer by the judge. There could have been a recess to give her time to compose herself. That neither happened can't be said to have been her responsibility. I doubt she was thinking about what she'd lose, but she probably was thinking that she wished it was over. I'll bet she was all over the place.

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 04:04:PM »
Perverting the course of justice certainly does pay

Carr told police she was with Huntley on the day the girls vanished.
During the 13 days before their bodies were found, she vouched for Huntley repeatedly, meaning police initially ruled him out as a suspect.
She even gave press interviews claiming she had been in the house as Huntley spoke to the girls on the doorstep.

She said: "I only wish we had asked them where they were going ... if only we knew then what we know.

Then we could have stopped them or done something about it."
In fact, Carr was 100 miles away in Grimsby – at a nightclub with another man.
She was pictured kissing and cuddling a 17-year-old rugby player, eight years her junior.

By the time Huntley and Carr were first quizzed by police on August 16, detectives already had information from several Grimsby residents who recognised the pair in TV interviews.

Mobile phone records showed that she was with her mother in Grimsby at the time and they were spotted out drinking together in the town at The Parity in Grimsby.

Two days after the murders, Huntley travelled to Grimsby to be reunited with Carr.
They were spotted by a neighbour of Carr's mother on Cromwell Road, talking next to a small red Ford Fiesta car.
An intriguing aspect of that sighting is that they were looking into the boot of the car - said to have been used to carry the bodies of Holly and Jessica.
The female witness said: "Maxine was sobbing and Ian just looked really thin and pale.
"I opened my gate, it made a noise and they both turned round and looked to look at me. Ian closed the boot.
"Maxine put her head down and continued to cry."
The neighbour asked Huntley if everything was all right but added: "He said rather abruptly 'yes' and they went inside.
"Maxine just looked – you could see the tears – and put her head down."

Carr also admitted that she had lied repeatedly to police, journalists and anyone who asked her about the events of that weekend.
But she insisted that, although Huntley told her Holly and Jessica had been in their home at College Close, she did not know that he had killed them.

Convicted and jailed for three-and-a-half years for perverting the course of justice, Carr served 21 months of her jail term and was given a new identity on her release amid concerns she would be attacked.
Since her release from prison in 2004 it has cost the taxpayer around £2.5 million to give her a new identity and police protection.

Julie Mugford the main prosecution witness was guilty of numerous crimes, 13 separate cheque frauds, robbery, and drug dealing and also making a deal with a national newspaper before trial that if she could convince a jury her ex boyfriend was guilty of five murders she would receive £25,000

guest7363

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 04:09:PM »
Shouldn’t this be in other high profile cases, or off topic?

Offline lookout

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 04:12:PM »
Well I'm not sure just how she could have been MADE to answer, but she could have been directed to answer by the judge. There could have been a recess to give her time to compose herself. That neither happened can't be said to have been her responsibility. I doubt she was thinking about what she'd lose, but she probably was thinking that she wished it was over. I'll bet she was all over the place.

Saying that, some people are more comfortable lying than telling the truth ( which hurts ? ) She was lucky to have had a set of QC's who were soft and couldn't read pretence ! She wouldn't have got away with that if it had been a woman firing questions at her.
You bet she was wishing it was all over----she couldn't wait to get her kit off for the seedy newspaper !

Offline lookout

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 04:13:PM »
Imagine Judge Judy getting her teeth into her ?

Offline Jane

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 04:32:PM »

Saying that, some people are more comfortable lying than telling the truth ( which hurts ? ) She was lucky to have had a set of QC's who were soft and couldn't read pretence ! She wouldn't have got away with that if it had been a woman firing questions at her.
You bet she was wishing it was all over----she couldn't wait to get her kit off for the seedy newspaper !

Can you find anything worse to say of her? Bloody silly question! 'COURSE you can. How'd she possibly know what was going to be asked of her?

PS Bet she learned the art of lying from Jeremy. He said it was always best (when telling lies?) to tell as much of the truth as possible.