Author Topic: The Fraser Anning statement: a basis for discussion  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Steve_uk

The Fraser Anning statement: a basis for discussion
« on: March 16, 2019, 12:37:PM »
Firstly let's dispense with the platitudes, the cant, the often sanctimonious, systematic and rehearsed outpouring of grief for the benefit of the mass media and the maintenance of the current social order, where our political representatives stand at the pinnacle, their instinct for self-preservation never so strong as they seek to channel the individual's thought and thereby close down all other discussion.

Not to disrespect those in mourning, but this wasn't the first violent attack in the past few years on a religious group and it won't be the last. 128 Coptic Christians were killed in Egypt last year. I would grant asylum in Europe to all 15 million if I had the power. Let's not pretend that there is not a war going on, whether it is conducted by Justiciar Breivik, Western powers in Afghanistan and Iraq, Islamic State in Syria or blond, blue-eyed fitness fanatic Brenton Tarrant dressed in army fatigues outside a Christchurch mosque.

The fact is that the multicultural society has failed, it is a phenomenon I never asked for on this scale, brought in as cheap unit cost labour in the 1960s, it is bound to breed resentment amongst the indigenous population just as Western intervention into Muslim lands will provoke the same reaction. I don't know Fraser Anning and I'm quite sure he's not perfect, though he represents a basis for discussion. The question in 2019 now that assimilation has failed is how to accommodate diverse cultures whilst skirting the fine line between political correctness, overt racism and punishing criminality, whilst the heightened Police presence at places of worship can offer only an interim reassurance. https://youtu.be/bMRP6oTB7XQ

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:01:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline Steve_uk

Offline Jane

Re: The Fraser Anning statement: a basis for discussion
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 02:10:PM »
Spare the platitudes, the wringing of hands, please..https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/new-zealand-struggles-to-answer-why-in-wake-of-massacre/ar-BBUQ5vO?ocid=spartanntp

I imagine it comes from a deep seated national and generational confidence that "such things won't happen here". I don't, for a moment, doubt that they've been shaken to their universal core. I got that impression from what my cousin's eldest son said on FB. He went out there for a visit some 15 years ago and has never returned.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 02:48:PM »

I imagine it comes from a deep seated national and generational confidence that "such things won't happen here". I don't, for a moment, doubt that they've been shaken to their universal core. I got that impression from what my cousin's eldest son said on FB. He went out there for a visit some 15 years ago and has never returned.
They must be breathing a sigh of relief that he was an Australian by birth. The New Zealanders have managed to keep a national identity even if they struggled with unwelcome welfare reforms, part of which led to the David Bain tragedy.

Offline Jane

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 03:21:PM »
They must be breathing a sigh of relief that he was an Australian by birth. The New Zealanders have managed to keep a national identity even if they struggled with unwelcome welfare reforms, part of which led to the David Bain tragedy.

I thought their feisty female PM gave an excellent interview. Supportive, inclusive, and strong.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 05:59:PM »
I thought their feisty female PM gave an excellent interview. Supportive, inclusive, and strong.
I agree I think she was amazing with so much compassion.

Offline Jane

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 07:03:PM »
I agree I think she was amazing with so much compassion.

I can only begin to imagine how they feel as a nation. It's shaken me more than do atrocities carried out here. It's almost as if I've become desensitized to it -and I find that disturbing. Not in a life time did I envisage anything so terrible happening in New Zealand.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 09:42:PM »

I can only begin to imagine how they feel as a nation. It's shaken me more than do atrocities carried out here. It's almost as if I've become desensitized to it -and I find that disturbing. Not in a life time did I envisage anything so terrible happening in New Zealand.
I know it is known for being such a safe country but shows there is risk everywhere.  Those poor defenceless people and tiny children many of whom were refugees who had escaped life threatening violence and must have felt so lucky to be there in such a safe place. 

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 09:06:AM »
What makes Brenton Harrison Tarrant tick? Did he feel his masculinity threatened living with his mother and sister following the premature death of his father, was his bereavement such that it detached him from reality, or was he determined to make a name for himself realizing as Dylan Thomas did that life is finite, and Do not go gentle into that good night.. https://www.smh.com.au/national/white-bred-terrorist-the-making-of-a-killer-20190806-p52ee7.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:07:AM by Steve_uk »

Offline Jane

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:AM »
What makes Brenton Harrison Tarrant tick? Did he feel his masculinity threatened living with his mother and sister following the premature death of his father, was his bereavement such that it detached him from reality, or was he determined to make a name for himself realizing as Dylan Thomas did that life is finite, and Do not go gentle into that good night.. https://www.smh.com.au/national/white-bred-terrorist-the-making-of-a-killer-20190806-p52ee7.html

Possibly the same type of disfuncional background as Brevitt? who killed all those young people on an island. Certainly, a similar mindset.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 09:47:AM »

Possibly the same type of disfuncional background as Brevitt? who killed all those young people on an island. Certainly, a similar mindset.
We don't know much about the father: garbage collector, fitness fanatic, died prematurely at 49 from work-related mesothelioma. Tarrant inherited a share of the $500000 compensation, which enabled him to travel the world.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 09:55:AM »
I didn't comment on the Samuel Paty case, other than to remark to some friends that the showing of cartoons of Muhammad to schoolchildren was unwise. In the light of today's crime, both of which are human tragedies, I'm confirmed in what I'm well aware is still a controversial view that the multicultural society which has been promoted for decades is doomed to failure. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/knife-attack-reported-near-church-in-nice-two-dead/ar-BB1av3Q2?ocid=msedgntp

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 10:20:AM »
It's very difficult to criticize Islam at all in these times without being accused of Islamophobia. It's also evident from recent events in France that if you do criticize Islam as a private citizen the State cannot protect you. I salute President Emmanuel Macron for at least an attempt to deal with Islamic extremism and call upon other Western leaders to give him their wholehearted support.  https://youtu.be/vXqez68Cchk
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:21:AM by Steve_uk »