Author Topic: Anne McLeod, teacher 1986-2018  (Read 166 times)

Offline Steve_uk

Anne McLeod, teacher 1986-2018
« on: February 07, 2019, 06:41:PM »
Nothing makes me more sick to my stomach than premature death. Bereavement is hard enough to deal with, without having an insight as to why a promising young teacher has cut her own life short. The fear of failure, the pressure imposed by Senior Management who don't know any better but should, the extra-curricular activity loaded onto her week after week, let alone the demands made of an English teacher for results in an age where teenagers no longer read the written word regularly, obsessed as they are with the latest app and forwarding photographs of themselves to friends. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8363943/english-teacher-suicide-low-self-esteem/

Offline Steve_uk

Re: Anne McLeod, teacher 1986-2018
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 06:50:PM »
I'm just looking at another job advertisement and post an excerpt:

Required from September 2019

We’re currently looking for a Teacher of French, and an additional language, to deliver an engaging curriculum from Year 9 to 13.

We are committed to bringing French culture to life through engaging lessons, trips, competitions and a range of cultural activities. As well as teaching at GCSE/IGCSE and A/IB level, should you join us, you will play an active role in the running and extra-curricular life of the department, as well as the pastoral life of the college.
Teaching a standard timetable allocation, setting and marking examinations, contributing to off-timetable workshops, seminars etc, and playing your part in sporting activities, social events and school trips – all are aspects of a role that will also see you actively safeguard and promote the welfare of children.
The perfect opportunity to bring French culture to life and make the most of your interest in Francophone literature and film, you will need a degree (or higher) in French. You will also need a thorough knowledge of the French Curriculum at all levels, plus the ability to teach another language (ideally German, Spanish, Russian or Mandarin) to IGCSE level or above. Adept at delivering inspirational and informative lessons, you are also willing to contribute to learning outside of the classroom, including social events and residential trips abroad.

I can't help but recollect a story I read in the news some time ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-34271803/stressed-ex-pe-teacher-recalls-sobbing-like-baby
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:52:PM by Steve_uk »