Author Topic: Cops seized Jeremy’s answer phone and five audio recording tapes....  (Read 8520 times)

Offline David1819

Cops believed that Neville Bambers call to Jeremy might have been captured on one of the audio tapes...

Mike. If the police did recover such tapes and if what JM was saying is true then they would have found a blank message on one of those tapes.

JM claimed that Jeremy called his cottage via WHF to show a call happened. This can only be done if the answer machine picks up the phone on the other end.

IIRC JM mentioned it was done to be logged in the features of the phone. Yet the kitchen phone or bedroom phone had no such feature . Unbeknown to Julie and Anne Eaton, The wireless phone with such feature usually in the kitchen was out for repairs during the night of the shootings.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:53:PM by David1819 »

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
Mike. If the police did recover such tapes and if what JM was saying is true then they would have found a blank message on one of those tapes. such a blank message would have got a time against it..

JM claimed that Jeremy called his cottage via WHF to show a call happened. This can only be done if the answer machine picks up the phone on the other end. it would have been pointless Jeremy doing that, considering that he states that he answered his father's call, and that his father told him things during that call - I can't see Jeremy making a call to himself so that his answer machine only recorded a blank message...

IIRC JM mentioned it was done to be logged in the features of the phone. Yet the kitchen phone or bedroom phone had no such feature . Unbeknown to Julie and Anne Eaton, The wireless phone with such feature usually in the kitchen was out for repairs during the night of the shootings. My understanding, was that a replacement phone was left at Whitehouse Farm when the hands-free phone broke down and was taken away for repair!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:26:AM by mike tesko »
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive"...

Offline David1819

it would have been pointless Jeremy doing that, considering that he states that he answered his father's call, and that his father told him things during that call - I can't see Jeremy making a call to himself so that his answer machine only recorded a blank message...

Not pointless at all because in the police interviews Jeremy asks them to check with the telecom company records.

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
Not pointless at all because in the police interviews Jeremy asks them to check with the telecom company records. yes, but he wouldn't have contacted the police at 3.36am on the morning of the tragedy, and told the police what his father had said to him, before the line inexplicably went dead, had he been the killer at the Farmhouse and telephone is home address to record a blank message on the tape on his answer phone! He would effectively have been setting himself up for a fall. Since, any recorded message without the words which is father had spoken during that call...

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
If my recollection serves me correctly, I also seem to think or remember something in connection with the discovery of the kitchen phone beneath a pile of magazines in the corner of the kitchen, which was found by the housekeeper I believe..

Jeremy till the housekeeper that it was a spare telephone that had been left in replacement of the other non-working phone that had been taken away...

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
If my recollection serves me correctly, I also seem to think or remember something in connection with the discovery of the kitchen phone beneath a pile of magazines in the corner of the kitchen, which was found by the housekeeper I believe..

Jeremy till the housekeeper that it was a spare telephone that had been left in replacement of the other non-working phone that had been taken away...

In fact, when Jeremy told me this I was a little confused myself, because at the time of the shooting tragedy the hands-free phone which was not working had been taken away for repair, which I understood to be a mobile phone! Whereas, the telephone that was found beneath a pile of magazines in the kitchen was a digital telephone which the house keeper had said was normally plugged in at the kitchen socket? However, Jeremy went on to explain to me, that the original kitchen phone which was a digital telephone unit, had been damaged during a lightning strike beforehand, and that the original digital Kitchen telephone had being taken away and in its place had been left the digital telephone that was found underneath the magazines in the corner of the kitchen!

Jeremy had told the housekeeper that that phone was a spare one!

Therefore, what Jeremy was saying and did say to the housekeeper was in fact correct!

In a nutshell, the housekeeper was correct in saying that the digital telephone that she found concealed beneath a pile of magazines in the corner of the kitchen was normally plugged in at the kitchen socket! Perhaps what the housekeeper did or did not know and which was not spoken about in her witness statement regarding whether or not she was referring to that telephone being the last digital telephone that was plugged in at the kitchen socket, or it was the digital telephone which had always  been plugged in at the kitchen socket? In other words, the housekeeper appears not to have spoken about a replacement digital telephone which had been provided to the family as a result of a lightning strike which damaged the original digital telephone that used to be plugged in at the kitchen socket!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:42:AM by mike tesko »

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator

In a nutshell, the housekeeper was correct in saying that the digital telephone that she found concealed beneath a pile of magazines in the corner of the kitchen was normally plugged in at the kitchen socket! Perhaps what the housekeeper did or did not know and which was not spoken about in her witness statement regarding whether or not she was referring to that telephone being the last digital telephone that was plugged in at the kitchen socket, or it was the digital telephone which had always  been plugged in at the kitchen socket? In other words, the housekeeper appears not to have spoken about a replacement digital telephone which had been provided to the family as a result of a lightning strike which damaged the original digital telephone that used to be plugged in at the kitchen socket!

This sort of confusion arises when a police officer who is taking a person's witness statement decides what is going to be written in the witness statement, and uses his or her own language to paraphrase something a witness might have said or not!

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
As far as I'm concerned, it is irrelevant whether or not the digital phone that was found under a pile of magazines in the corner of the kitchen, was the original digital telephone that was struck by lightning, or it's replacement, because I believe that that particular digital telephone was plugged in at the kitchen socket at the time of these shooting tragedies, and as I understood it, it had a last 10 number dialled memory facility!

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
As far as I'm concerned, it is irrelevant whether or not the digital phone that was found under a pile of magazines in the corner of the kitchen, was the original digital telephone that was struck by lightning, or it's replacement, because I believe that that particular digital telephone was plugged in at the kitchen socket at the time of these shooting tragedies, and as I understood it, it had a last 10 number dialled memory facility!

But for DCI Harris needing to make a landline telephone call to ACC Simpson, as requested at around 8:15 am, that digital telephone would have still been plugged in at the kitchen socket when the crime scene photographs and video were taken later on! I believe that it was the handset of the digital telephone that was off its cradle in the kitchen on the kitchen worktop, I'm not the round fingered I'll phone which was normally plugged in upstairs in the master bedroom! I believe that the digital telephone wasn't plugged by the police in the kitchen and subsequently the round finger dial telephone from upstairs in the master bedroom was unplugged and brought downstairs so that DCI Harris could make a landline call to ACC Simpson, a call which lasted some 15 minutes in duration until 8:30 am, or thereabouts! Once Harris had completed his call to Simpson, he simply left the handset off the hook and resting on the kitchen worktop where it was later photographed!

The digital telephone which the police unplugged was subsequently hidden beneath some magazines in the corner of the kitchen!

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator

The digital telephone which the police unplugged was subsequently hidden beneath some magazines in the corner of the kitchen!

Jeremy knows my views on this..

Since, we had many a candid discussion about whether or not the last ten number dialled memory facility of that digital telephone would still be recoverable once the telephone itself had been unplugged and set aside?

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
Jeremy knows my views on this..

Since, we had many a candid discussion about whether or not the last ten number dialled memory facility of that digital telephone would still be recoverable once the telephone itself had been unplugged and set aside?

I did not have it confirmed to me one way or the other by any of the BT engineer's who I had access to, that the last 10 dialled telephone number memory facility might still be recoverable in those circumstances! Did the digital Statesman telephone have its own internal battery that in the event of it being unplugged, or a power cut, that it retained the last 10 dialled telephone numbers?

I tended to suspect it did...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:01:AM by mike tesko »

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
If not, then the action of the police who unplugged the digital Statesman telephone from its kitchen socket were responsible for loosing that valuable evidence, because there is no doubt that if Neville Bamber had telephoned Jeremy, as claimed by Jeremy, and then Neville Bamber had called the police at 3.26am, both of these telephone numbers would have been recorded in the phones last ten numbers dialled memory facility! Furthermore, the fact that by 5.55am the state of the telephone line at the farmhouse became altered from being off the hook, into it being continuously engaged, which at 6.09am the line was patched through by the operator to the control room at Chelmsford police station using a '999' call system - if someone had dialled '999' from within the farmhouse at that time, the evidence would have been recorded in the last ten numbers dialled memory facility!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:10:AM by mike tesko »

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
What I did find out from the BT engineers, was that when the digital telephone was plugged in at the kitchen socket downstairs, and with the round finger dial phone plugged in upstairs in the master bedroom, was that if someone dialled a telephone number from the round finger dial telephone upstairs, that the number dialled would not be recorded automatically in the digital telephones memory, downstairs!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:13:AM by mike tesko »

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
As far as I'm concerned, the question of the last ten number dialled memory facility of the digital statesman telephone that was normally plugged in at the kitchen socket, and the fact that the police took an interest in Jeremy Bamber answer phone back at his Cottage at 9 Head Street, Goldhanger, were inextricably linked as part of the police investigation, once the nature of the investigation altered from one of four murders and a suicide, and became one of five murders!

I believe that Essex Police obtained the last 10 telephone numbers dialled from the memory of the statesman digital telephone, and that it was confirmed that a call had been made from White House Farm to Jeremy's Cottage at 9 Head Street, Goodhanger, followed by a call to Witham police station (3.26am), and a '999' call (5.55am) requesting an ambulance! I believe that all this evidence was deliberately withheld under pii, and that Essex police seized Jeremy's answer phone and corresponding audio tapes hoping to discover a blank message, and thus be able to disprove that his father had called him, but that he had called himself knowing that the number he had dialled would be recorded in the memory of the digital Statesman telephone!

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator

I believe that Essex Police obtained the last 10 telephone numbers dialled from the memory of the statesman digital telephone, and that it was confirmed that a call had been made from White House Farm to Jeremy's Cottage at 9 Head Street, Goodhanger, followed by a call to Witham police station (3.26am), and a '999' call (5.55am) requesting an ambulance! I believe that all this evidence was deliberately withheld under pii, and that Essex police seized Jeremy's answer phone and corresponding audio tapes hoping to discover a blank message, and thus be able to disprove that his father had called him, but that he had called himself knowing that the number he had dialled would be recorded in the memory of the digital Statesman telephone!

Cops discounted interest in Jeremy's answer phone, and the corresponding audio tapes, once they found no blank messages on any of them, they didn't even find any evidence on any of the five audio tapes, that the answer machine had been turned off!

And..

They knew that either Neville Bamber, or someone purporting to be him, had contacted the police at 3.26am, by dialling the telephone number of Witham police station, which got put through to the control room at Chelmsford police station via the automated out of hours or unavailable service mechanism, and that a message had been passed, 'Daughter gone berserk ', and 'daughter has got hold of one of my guns'...

Additionally, police had confirmation that somebody inside white house farm had dialled '999' requesting an ambulance - obviously, that person who made that call, (that request) could not have been Jeremy Bamber because from 3.52am (onwards) he had been outside in the company of the police constantly!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:36:AM by mike tesko »