Author Topic: 29-year-old Dutch woman ends her life legally  (Read 12924 times)

Offline IndigoJ

Re: 29-year-old Dutch woman ends her life legally
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2018, 01:51:PM »
How much longer would you have FORCED this poor girl to live when life seems to have been intolerable to her for years? You're fully entitled to make the decision for yourself about whether you live or die. I believe others are entitled to the same. Whether or not I agree with their decision doesn't come into the equation. How do I know what it feels like to be another person? Unless I do, I don't believe I'm qualified -or entitled- to say what's right for them. ALL I'm entitled to is my own opinion.

No one is forcing her , she could have decided to kill herself, of course people can't force others to live if they are hell bent on killing themselves but the compassionate thing to do would be to prevent them from doing so as we do when we section people etc what we must not do is hand them the poison to kill themselves !

Offline Jane

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2018, 02:03:PM »
you can't compare mental illness and terminal cancer

And YOU clearly have little idea of what it might feel like when BOTH decide they've come to the end of the road. When they've had enough of needles being stuck into them and different drugs being tried on them. The only thing I can't compare is what constitutes the end of the road for the individual. Each will have their own.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2018, 04:17:PM »
There's an article here which I'm translating via Google Translate, my Dutch not sufficient to render the text comprehensible. There might be unmanageable chunks but here goes. The pictures are heartbreaking.

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/aurelia-krijgt-na-acht-jaar-psychisch-lijden-haar-vurig-gewenste-dood~a9cd80e8/

Daily life
07 March 2018 by EO
Why Eline as a Christian has started to think differently about euthanasia
Aurelia Brouwers put an end to her life by euthanasia at the end of January. The Christian Eline Rietkerk worked on a documentary about her. At the EO she explains why she has started to think differently about euthanasia.
The 29-year-old Aurelia was physically healthy, but indicated that she was unbearable and hopeless. She struggled with borderline, did self-harm, heard voices, had psychoses and was depressed. She did not want to live anymore for years. On New Year's Eve, she received permission for euthanasia after a long trajectory. "Last June, I had my first meeting at the End of Life Clinic, I was out and no one can help me, I want to die in a dignified way, I think I deserve a dignified death."

"Before I met Aurelia, I had a clear idea about euthanasia," says documentary maker Eline. "I believe that God is about life and death, so to put an end to your life yourself goes against it." As she got to know Aurelia better, her opinion about euthanasia became more and more nuanced. "She did not sleep, had psychoses and was terrified of the nights. (...) Aurelia did not want to die either, she did not want to suffer anymore, she could not do it anymore, I understood that."
Eline refers to a Canadian Christian who started a petition to stop Aurelia's death. It struck her that many Christians judged harshly about Aurelia. "If someone no longer sees a way out and suffers, you have to support so

PHOTO HISSINK Aurelia Brouwers.
It has been nice for the Dutch Aurelia Brouwers, only 29 years. Although, beautiful? It was hell in her head. Years of contiguous. A storm that never went down. Unbearable psychic suffering. Yesterday, Friday, January 26, the woman from Deventer got euthanasia. "I hope that reincarnation does not exist. I do not want to go back to this rot-earth.

Yes, she feels guilty towards her father, she says 23 days before her death. His wife, her mother, passed away last August. To a heart condition. He is still in the middle of the grief processing. Aurelia itself, by the way. And then her father must also let his daughter go. "And I'm going to mom."

Aurelia, the only child, swallows, but quickly recovers. "'You do not have to feel guilty,' says my father. Your euthanasia is so dominant, you want to die for so long. He is not happy about it, of course not. But he is happy for me. He grants me th

It has been nice for the Dutch Aurelia Brouwers, only 29 years. Although, beautiful? It was hell in her head. Years of contiguous. A storm that never went down. Unbearable psychic suffering. Yesterday, Friday, January 26, the woman from Deventer got euthanasia. "I hope that reincarnation does not exist. I do not want to go back to this rot-earth. "
Yes, she feels guilty towards her father, she says 23 days before her death. His wife, her mother, passed away last August. To a heart condition. He is still in the middle of the grief processing. Aurelia itself, by the way. And then her father must also let his daughter go. "And I'm going to mom."

Aurelia, the only child, swallows, but quickly recovers. "'You do not have to feel guilty,' says my father. Your euthanasia is so dominant, you want to die for so long. He is not happy about it, of course not. But he is happy for me. He grants me the

is and that I choose death. Do not blame me for a cowardly act. You do not have a death wish for pleasure. ''
Bible
The young woman is also so angry about opponents of euthanasia from the religious angle. "I am evangelical. Everyone reads the Bible in a different way. A ban on euthanasia, that is not love of God? If God is love, then sometimes you have to let go. I also think that God can let go of love. I do not believe in hell after death, it does not exist. I believe that God receives me with open arms. Hell? That is the earth for me. Some politicians are very offensive to people who want euthanasia, by wanting to ban it. I mean, if you want to suffer until the end, fine, but do not put that on someone else. "
Yes, it really hurts her that some people react violently to her euthanasia. Make her up for everything and everything. Last but not least, an ex-girlfriend with whom she has been hit. For a moment she thinks about her wording. "She said, 'you're a bad daughter that you abandon your father, you're a weakling, you have to be ashamed of your father doing this.' Really, she said. Everyone can scold me rottenly, but do not take my family. This comment hurt me the most. "Fortunately, she says, she also gets a lot of positive reactions. People who respect her decision and also realize that a life for Aurelia on this earth has not been given. That she deserves to die worthy.
I am evangelical. Everyone reads the Bible in a different way. A ban on euthanasia, that is not love of God?
Aurelia
Last toast
In the midst of dear friends, Aurelia spent a final toast just before the intake of her deadly drink, under the guidance of a doctor and psychiatric nurse at the End of Life Clinic. And with music from Hugh

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:20:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline Jane

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2018, 05:57:PM »
There's an article here which I'm translating via Google Translate, my Dutch not sufficient to render the text comprehensible. There might be unmanageable chunks but here goes. The pictures are heartbreaking.

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/aurelia-krijgt-na-acht-jaar-psychisch-lijden-haar-vurig-gewenste-dood~a9cd80e8/

Daily life
07 March 2018 by EO
Aurelia Brouwers put an end to her life by euthanasia at the end of January. The Christian Eline Rietkerk worked on a documentary about her. At the EO she explains why she has started to think differently about euthanasia.
The 29-year-old Aurelia was physically healthy, but indicated that she was unbearable and hopeless. She struggled with borderline, did self-harm, heard voices, had psychoses and was depressed. She did not want to live anymore for years. On New Year's Eve, she received permission for euthanasia after a long trajectory. "Last June, I had my first meeting at the End of Life Clinic, I was out and no one can help me, I want to die in a dignified way, I think I deserve a dignified death."

"Before I met Aurelia, I had a clear idea about euthanasia," says documentary maker Eline. "I believe that God is about life and death, so to put an end to your life yourself goes against it." As she got to know Aurelia better, her opinion about euthanasia became more and more nuanced. "She did not sleep, had psychoses and was terrified of the nights. (...) Aurelia did not want to die either, she did not want to suffer anymore, she could not do it anymore, I understood that."
Eline refers to a Canadian Christian who started a petition to stop Aurelia's death. It struck her that many Christians judged harshly about Aurelia. "If someone no longer sees a way out and suffers, you have to support so

It has been nice for the Dutch Aurelia Brouwers, only 29 years. Although, beautiful? It was hell in her head. Years of contiguous. A storm that never went down. Unbearable psychic suffering. Yesterday, Friday, January 26, the woman from Deventer got euthanasia. "I hope that reincarnation does not exist. I do not want to go back to this rot-earth.

Aurelia, the only child, swallows, but quickly recovers. "'You do not have to feel guilty,' says my father. Your euthanasia is so dominant, you want to die for so long. He is not happy about it, of course not. But he is happy for me. He grants me th

It has been nice for the Dutch Aurelia Brouwers, only 29 years. Although, beautiful? It was hell in her head. Years of contiguous. A storm that never went down. Unbearable psychic suffering. Yesterday, Friday, January 26, the woman from Deventer got euthanasia. "I hope that reincarnation does not exist. I do not want to go back to this rot-earth. "

Aurelia, the only child, swallows, but quickly recovers. "'You do not have to feel guilty,' says my father. Your euthanasia is so dominant, you want to die for so long. He is not happy about it, of course not. But he is happy for me. He grants me the

is and that I choose death. Do not blame me for a cowardly act. You do not have a death wish for pleasure. ''
Bible
The young woman is also so angry about opponents of euthanasia from the religious angle. "I am evangelical. Everyone reads the Bible in a different way. A ban on euthanasia, that is not love of God? If God is love, then sometimes you have to let go. I also think that God can let go of love. I do not believe in hell after death, it does not exist. I believe that God receives me with open arms. Hell? That is the earth for me. Some politicians are very offensive to people who want euthanasia, by wanting to ban it. I mean, if you want to suffer until the end, fine, but do not put that on someone else. "
Yes, it really hurts her that some people react violently to her euthanasia. Make her up for everything and everything. Last but not least, an ex-girlfriend with whom she has been hit. For a moment she thinks about her wording. "She said, 'you're a bad daughter that you abandon your father, you're a weakling, you have to be ashamed of your father doing this.' Really, she said. Everyone can scold me rottenly, but do not take my family. This comment hurt me the most. "Fortunately, she says, she also gets a lot of positive reactions. People who respect her decision and also realize that a life for Aurelia on this earth has not been given. That she deserves to die worthy.
I am evangelical. Everyone reads the Bible in a different way. A ban on euthanasia, that is not love of God?
Aurelia
Last toast
In the midst of dear friends, Aurelia spent a final toast just before the intake of her deadly drink, under the guidance of a doctor and psychiatric nurse at the End of Life Clinic. And with music from Hugh

Steve, that was heart breaking but worth the struggle I had reading it. Thank you for the time and trouble that writing it must have taken.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2018, 06:38:PM »

Daily life
07 March 2018 by EO

Bible
Aurelia
Last toast

Massive tragedy for her and her family.   Thank you Steve

Offline IndigoJ

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2018, 06:59:PM »
Hasn't changed my mind one iota. I feel sorry for her father.

Offline IndigoJ

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2018, 07:02:PM »

And YOU clearly have little idea of what it might feel like when BOTH decide they've come to the end of the road. When they've had enough of needles being stuck into them and different drugs being tried on them. The only thing I can't compare is what constitutes the end of the road for the individual. Each will have their own.

And YOU clearly don't know anything about me , so stop telling me what I have an idea about and what I don't.

Offline Jane

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2018, 07:15:PM »
And YOU clearly don't know anything about me , so stop telling me what I have an idea about and what I don't.
[/q
uote]

How and what you write and how you respond says much about you. None  of us owns the right to say how others live or die.

Offline IndigoJ

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2018, 07:37:PM »
[/q
uote]

How and what you write and how you respond says much about you. None  of us owns the right to say how others live or die.

For some reason you want to make this personal about "me" , I suspect just because I don't agree with your pov.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2018, 08:59:PM »
I wouldn't want this woman to cause trouble after her death. There are still huge gaps which we just don't know about.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:01:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline Jane

« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2018, 09:31:PM »
For some reason you want to make this personal about "me" , I suspect just because I don't agree with your pov.

Please refrain from telling me what you think I want and allow me to assure you that this isn't about YOU. You're fully entitled to whatever opinion you hold but what's right for you probably isn't right for others.

Offline IndigoJ

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2018, 08:23:AM »
Please refrain from telling me what you think I want and allow me to assure you that this isn't about YOU. You're fully entitled to whatever opinion you hold but what's right for you probably isn't right for others.

As I said , STOP making personal remarks to me, this is not about me we are debating an issue that affects society in general. I am entitled to my own opinions without people making personal remarks about me. I will continue to state my opinions and not be intimidated by others who think they know better.

Offline IndigoJ

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2018, 08:23:AM »
I wouldn't want this woman to cause trouble after her death. There are still huge gaps which we just don't know about.

in what way is she causing trouble? although she clearly wanted all the world to know about it otherwise she wouldnt have done the documentary and the media articles  ???
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:24:AM by IndigoJ »

Offline Jane

« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2018, 12:45:PM »
As I said , STOP making personal remarks to me, this is not about me we are debating an issue that affects society in general. I am entitled to my own opinions without people making personal remarks about me. I will continue to state my opinions and not be intimidated by others who think they know better.

As I have said on several occasions, this isn't about YOU and to the best of my knowledge, that's the ONLY thing I've said to you, personally. I have NEVER said that you're not entitled to your own opinion. All I've said is whilst your opinion is right for you, it's not right for everyone.

Offline lookout

« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2018, 12:54:PM »
Instead of plugging headlines like this resources should be possible/found worldwide into the reasons why so many young people are committing suicide. It's heartbreaking for victims and families alike.