Author Topic: Truth, The Whole Truth......Or That Which Others Want Us To Believe Is Truth  (Read 4938 times)

Offline lookout

It sounds as if you're suggesting that because the police spend so much unnecessary? time on motorists it could be a reason for them not spending time in detecting and apprehending real criminals? I'm fairly certain that some of those motorists will be crims on the run, I'm also certain that those in uniform chasing motorists are a different breed from detectives and the two aren't necessarily interchangeable.
I don't know if it's necessary for police to be present in swarms outside pubs and clubs but if they get a tip off that there might be trouble, a lone policeman -or even two- would hardly be enough if there was.
"Bobbies on the beat" Hmm? Bring back the days when people had respect for them, eh? There are areas where it would be out of the question for them to walk around -unless, perhaps, you think they'd benefit from carrying guns?.................and let's say they manage to get these young -soon to be grown up- criminals to court. What then? I've seen my friend's late husband, on numerous occasions, come in from work and say "I don't know why I bother". He's taken a guilty youth into court for the umpteenth time only to have him let off after which he's turned round and smirked. Haven't you said, several times, Lookout, that you're always on your guard? Against what? The only stabs you're likely to get here are verbal. Came you really blame police for having a similar attitude as a defense mechanism.
I totally agree that there could be better training to recognize mental illnesses and diabetes.

I note that you take a dim view about bobbies on the beat ? There was nothing wrong with it in my time ? As for police being armed----God forbid.Even trained ones have been known to shoot the wrong person.
So because of your view on bobbies on the beat would mean that the streets are too dangerous ? Why do you think that is ?

Years ago we didn't have this PC crap and the hands of police officers and school-teachers weren't tied,but because of all the rules,regulations and extra paperwork it put a stop on good old discipline. Instead of a good old-fashioned cuff round the ears of a cheeky youth,out comes the notebook and a mouthful of abuse from the offender and before you know it there's a first class fight as one antagonises the other. Police also need to visit the homes/backgrounds of offenders.
 Teachers exclude a disruptive pupil ( which is music to the ears of the pupil ) instead of rapping him over the knuckles with a ruler  which hurts and above all humiliates him-----a lesson to be taught.Lack of a proper upbringing and respect makes criminals.

Offline Jane

I note that you take a dim view about bobbies on the beat ? There was nothing wrong with it in my time ? As for police being armed----God forbid.Even trained ones have been known to shoot the wrong person.
So because of your view on bobbies on the beat would mean that the streets are too dangerous ? Why do you think that is ?

Years ago we didn't have this PC crap and the hands of police officers and school-teachers weren't tied,but because of all the rules,regulations and extra paperwork it put a stop on good old discipline. Instead of a good old-fashioned cuff round the ears of a cheeky youth,out comes the notebook and a mouthful of abuse from the offender and before you know it there's a first class fight as one antagonises the other. Police also need to visit the homes/backgrounds of offenders.
 Teachers exclude a disruptive pupil ( which is music to the ears of the pupil ) instead of rapping him over the knuckles with a ruler  which hurts and above all humiliates him-----a lesson to be taught.Lack of a proper upbringing and respect makes criminals.

Where on EARTH did that come from!!!! In days when you were a child, the bobby on the beat was a first line of defense, If children went home and said a policeman had clipped them round the ear, they'd get another, not for being caught but for doing wrong. Back then, parents backed the police. I genuinely fear for the safety of bobbies on the beat these days -and I wouldn't want to see them armed any more than they want it- because parents seem to be giving children totally different guidelines, probably commensurate with "Do what you like as long as you don't get caught". Police and teachers alike have all had their hands tied and we're all seeing the results.

Offline lookout

Welcome to the Nanny State.

Offline Caroline

So you think hitting someone makes them learn a lesson? It doesn't work with people or animals and it has nothing to do with political correctness.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline lookout

So you think hitting someone makes them learn a lesson? It doesn't work with people or animals and it has nothing to do with political correctness.

One thing for sure whatever was done to cause a slap wasn't done again------------cured !

Offline Jane

I can't imagine, if it's done publicly -and perhaps unjustly- that the feeling of humiliation ever goes further than just below the surface. It can result in uncontrollable rage.

Offline lookout

I can't imagine, if it's done publicly -and perhaps unjustly- that the feeling of humiliation ever goes further than just below the surface. It can result in uncontrollable rage.

It never used to. It's the way society is today,aggressive and hate-filled.

Offline lookout

Look at the amount of pupils who harm their teachers----------even killing them.Disgraceful.

Offline Jane

It never used to. It's the way society is today,aggressive and hate-filled.

It never used to seem to be. I don't know if that's quite the same thing, though.

Offline lookout

It never used to cause " uncontrollable rage "---------it must be built-in !!

Offline Caroline

One thing for sure whatever was done to cause a slap wasn't done again------------cured !

Really? Then I guess there was no crime before the 70's then? (Going by the Heartbeat period).
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Jane

It never used to cause " uncontrollable rage "---------it must be built-in !!

Just because you've never seen it doesn't indicate that it didn't exist.

Offline lookout

Really? Then I guess there was no crime before the 70's then? (Going by the Heartbeat period).

Not a lot of crime then as the population was about 20 million less than it is now.

Offline lookout

Just because you've never seen it doesn't indicate that it didn't exist.

People seemed to be more laid-back and dealt with things differently in their stride.

Offline Jane

People seemed to be more laid-back and dealt with things differently in their stride.

The key word is "seemed". The problem with anger is that it's often held in because people can sometimes feel ashamed of it. Again, it's relative. What makes some people explode will go over another's head.