Author Topic: BBC 1 Tonight---" Last chance for Justice ". Panorama @ 7.30pm.  (Read 13461 times)

Offline lookout

Tells of the blatant injustice of CCRC in not representing new evidence re. the cases of Susan May,Eddie Gilfoyle and Jeremy Bamber.
The programme is presented by BBC's Mark Daly.

Offline Adam

'Former Lord Justice Sir Anthony Hooper said the challenge to establish innocence is tougher than ever before.

The claim comes in a BBC Panorama programme which reveals fresh evidence in two notorious cases.

The programme looked at the cases of two convicted murderers.

Eddie Gilfoyle and Kevin Lane each served nearly 20 years in prison for crimes they insist they did not commit.

The cases had previously been turned down by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), the body which investigates wrongful convictions.'

----------

Jeremy can't really complain about the CCRC as they referred his case in 2002.

'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline lookout

You've omitted to mention that evidence brought to any appeal has been " rejected/dismissed " by the CCRC or cherry-picked by themselves as per testimonies of certain investigating officers as in the three cases mentioned.

Offline lookout

I gather that you and those like you won't be watching the above programme in case it tells you something you don't want to hear as YOUR justice system is perfect.

Offline lookout

'Former Lord Justice Sir Anthony Hooper said the challenge to establish innocence is tougher than ever before.

The claim comes in a BBC Panorama programme which reveals fresh evidence in two notorious cases.

The programme looked at the cases of two convicted murderers.

Eddie Gilfoyle and Kevin Lane each served nearly 20 years in prison for crimes they insist they did not commit.

The cases had previously been turned down by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), the body which investigates wrongful convictions.'

----------

Jeremy can't really complain about the CCRC as they referred his case in 2002.

So Jeremy can't complain about the CCRC ? What ? The 2002 appeal was marred by the fact that when QC Turner searched files/documents in readiness,it was too late as vital documents on the Holmes computer were missing. Documents that could have been significant to the defence.
Said documents remain under PII and other relevant documents weren't released until 2006 after certain rules had been changed.
Your idea of " can't complain " is undoubtedly wrong !

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
The CCRC should be disbanded, it is not fit for purpose, they refer many cases on the slightest of things, yet reject other more worthy cases with a heap of evidence pointing to dishonesty on the part of investigating officers and the CPS...
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive"...

Offline Steve_uk

The Panorama programme didn't go into enough detail for my liking (it used to be 50 minutes long in the old days). The 2000 Appeal on the Gilfoyle case is here: http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Crim/2000/81.html

I don't know enough about the Kevin Lane case to comment. https://youtu.be/R2Nq7tHs6Sk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:52:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline Steve_uk

Offline lookout

I too didn't think the programme was long enough to give much detail to the cases though I am familiar with Eddie's case having known some of his late wife's background.
I didn't know anything at all about Kevin Lane,though I'm never much convinced when the " offender " has some sort of distraction---------namely holding a baby which acts as an emotional crutch ?

Offline Caroline

Interestingly, they didn't use Bamber in the documentary and the comment by David Jessel that in respect to the cases that he has seen (and that would include Bamber) only one has unfinished business, (that of Eddie Gilfoyle) was also noteworthy.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Jane

Re: BBC 1 Tonight---" Last chance for Justice ". Panorama @ 7.30pm.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 09:37:PM »
Interestingly, they didn't use Bamber in the documentary and the comment by David Jessel that in respect to the cases that he has seen (and that would include Bamber) only one has unfinished business, (that of Eddie Gilfoyle) was also noteworthy.

Yes, I imagine his is a well respected voice. I'm certain the CCRC are fully aware that the majority of cases they receive are going to be bogus.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45:PM »
Yes, I imagine his is a well respected voice. I'm certain the CCRC are fully aware that the majority of cases they receive are going to be bogus.

Bogus claims only clog up the system making it more difficult for those that are innocent.

Offline lookout

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 10:00:PM »
The late Susan May's case wasn't aired either which in one of David Jessel's blogs " Justice Issues " whose speakers were Woffinden and Naughton surprisingly questioned whether the CCRC was fit for purpose.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 10:12:PM »
The late Susan May's case wasn't aired either which in one of David Jessel's blogs " Justice Issues " whose speakers were Woffinden and Naughton surprisingly questioned whether the CCRC was fit for purpose.

The reason they didn't mention Susan was because she died. The CCRC probably isn't fit for purpose because they are inundated by chancers who are clogging up the system.

Offline lookout

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 10:40:PM »
The reason they didn't mention Susan was because she died. The CCRC probably isn't fit for purpose because they are inundated by chancers who are clogging up the system.

Susan May had  already lost two appeals through a system riddled in red-tape and bureaucracy with the CoA unwilling to investigate MOJ's which leaves the CCRC redundant.

Lack of funds is the enemy which in effect creates a lack of power in which to carry out the mounting feasibilities of potential MOJ's---------which the commission was meant for. Surely they can sort the wheat from the chaff as regards chancers ?