Author Topic: User Instruction Manual for the .22 Model 525 Anschutz Rifle  (Read 1832 times)

Luminous Wanderer

Here's a link to the User Instruction Manual for the .22 Model 525 Anschutz Rifle [simply copy-and-paste the following into your browser]:

file:///C:/Users/all%20balls/Downloads/BA_525_1993-08-01_DE%20(1).pdf

There's an English language section, if you scroll down.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:48:AM by Luminous Wanderer »

Luminous Wanderer

Re: User Instruction Manual for the .22 Model 525 Anschutz Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:13:AM »
For information, here's a video showing the same rifle in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgz0lqGVouo

The video shows a close-up of the closed-bolt chambering from a right-hand perspective.  Normally, it is not possible for the operator to tell if such a rifle is chambered during use.

It follows that the operator can only tell whether the rifle is loaded by both opening the bolt and detaching the magazine - which are separate, mutually-exclusive actions, one that checks the chamber itself, the other the detachable magazine.  (The only exception would be where the receiver for the magazine is viewable via the chambering from above, though I do not believe that is the case with the 525 Model).

Actually firing the rifle would not allow the operator to tell for sure if it is loaded beyond any cartridge that was already chambered.  This is because normally with rifles of this vintage, the mechanism automatically re-chambers and indeed can mechanically re-chamber even when there is no cartridge in the immediate 'follow'.  The Instruction Manual linked-to in my previous post does suggest this is the case for the 525 Model as the bolt is opened manually.  That said, a naive operator might assume the rifle is unloaded following an empty 'click' and would then 're-clip' regardless of the true position.  (Note: More modern rifles are different in that they tend to lock back in the open bolt position when the magazine is empty).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:52:AM by Luminous Wanderer »

Luminous Wanderer

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 02:08:AM »
Here's a good close-up video of the exact model in use.  This video suggests I am wrong in my post above about the automatic bolt position for this model on an empty magazine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtardPylgL8

You can see how the operator would be able to surmise, for safety purposes, whether the weapon is chambered - albeit not easily, because it would require examining the chamber from a right-hand perspective, though that could be achieved by the simple expedient of turning the gun to one side anti-clockwise. 

Separately, in terms of surmising his magazine situation, I had believed with models of that vintage it was generally a case of 'count and shoot' until you 're-clip', but this video indicates to me that in fact the 525 Model does lock back the bolt in the open position, suggesting that an operator would know when to re-load the magazine.

Of course, it does not follow that the operator will always have an empty magazine in that situation and it doesn't change the logistics of a killing much, or the planning aspects for a sophisticated perpetrator.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:20:AM by Luminous Wanderer »

Luminous Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 02:12:AM »
Here we have a demonstration of the 525 in operation with a moderator attached:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNrlfDPC_xs

Notice the very significant noise suppression achieved, discernible even in windy conditions outdoors.

N.B.: I do not know the model of the moderator used in the video.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:23:AM by Luminous Wanderer »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:45:PM »
Here we have a demonstration of the 525 in operation with a moderator attached:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNrlfDPC_xs

Notice the very significant noise suppression achieved, discernible even in windy conditions outdoors.

N.B.: I do not know the model of the moderator used in the video.
I thought the Defence always claimed there wasn't much difference with either silencer removed or attached.

Luminous Wanderer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 06:07:PM »
I thought the Defence always claimed there wasn't much difference with either silencer removed or attached.

I'm not sure they said that exactly.  If fired indoors with a moderator, I expect the sound would be akin to a very loud 'snap' and could be heard, though clearly it would depend on the interior acoustics.  That said, moderators can work very well on a .22.  You only tend to have the serious noise issue on higher calibre.

Anyway, I don't know that the above is the right moderator.  The sound suppression effect of moderators can vary considerably between models (and also varies from one particular firearm and moderator to another, depending on the care taken with the barrel and the moderator and baffles.  The projectile used can also affect it, depending on calibre - you can even buy 'silenced' projectiles now, used with or without moderators, though I'm not sure they were available at the time).

Luminous Wanderer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 07:42:AM »
The trial transcript from Malcolm Fletcher explains how the rifle was operated.

Link here:

http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,7638.msg362440.html#msg362440

One of the things Fletcher says is that:

"In the unloaded stage the magazine follow-up holds the breech block to the rear."

This confirms, as stated above, that the 525 Model does lock back the bolt in the open position, suggesting that an operator would know when to re-load the magazine.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:44:AM by Luminous Wanderer »