Author Topic: "Murder, Mystery And My Family"  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Jane

Re: "Murder, Mystery And My Family"
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2018, 10:39:AM »
The stomach contents seemed to refer to tomato skins which do remain in the system for longer than other easier digestible substances. I understood there was a ceiling time of 2 hours regarding undigested food in the gut ?
 However the unacceptable experiment involving the hammer and because it had been carried out by the pathologist would have gone a long way to convicting the man because of its acceptance by the jury who saw the experiment befitting to the crime.

People will listen to what a pathologist has to say rather than the accused spouting his innocence. Well they did back in those days,but thankfully with people more educated today and much more likely to work things out for themselves such experiments wouldn't pass muster.

Because there is no 'hard and fast', digestion varying from person to person, Purdue gave a 5.5 hour  window. The unacceptable experiment was only such because a different type of hammer was used. There was no acceptable reason for the accused to have a hammer in his possession. I found myself feeling very surprised by the belief the barristers have in juries.

Offline lookout

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2018, 11:24:AM »
Another crucial piece of evidence is timings------time of death and also those times given by witnesses,which were way out when the victim was allegedly seen at 11am after having supposedly been murdered by/at 10am. Unless anyone lived by their clock/watch,it's virtually impossible to give any sort of an accurate or near time.
If you left the house,without looking at the time and weren't wearing a watch and someone suddenly asked you the time chances are you could be a good half-hour or so out.
In the clip shown this morning,and because it was summertime,it's quite easy to think or say it's later than it appears to be because of the extra hour of sunlight.

Offline Jane

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2018, 01:07:PM »
Another crucial piece of evidence is timings------time of death and also those times given by witnesses,which were way out when the victim was allegedly seen at 11am after having supposedly been murdered by/at 10am. Unless anyone lived by their clock/watch,it's virtually impossible to give any sort of an accurate or near time.
If you left the house,without looking at the time and weren't wearing a watch and someone suddenly asked you the time chances are you could be a good half-hour or so out.
In the clip shown this morning,and because it was summertime,it's quite easy to think or say it's later than it appears to be because of the extra hour of sunlight.

I missed sections of this morning's programme, but I did pick up that there were discrepancies in times of sightings. I have no idea in which year the murder occurred but wasn't BST introduced during WWII? I agree that without a watch, guaging time exactly would be a problem, however, as most of us are creatures of habit one could make an educated guess.

Offline lookout

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2018, 02:57:PM »
This morning's case left you questioning the reduction of the death penalty to 7 years imprisonment for a verdict of murder ? The non-senior officer who'd helped sentence the young man on shonky witness evidence was later imprisoned himself on a case of corruption for 8 years in 1977. Prior to this there'd been no proof that his previous arrests etc had been due to corruption,i.e the 1950's . Yeah !!

The episode was obviously more indepth but the above gives the gist of how much corruption----without question---was allowed to continue before the death penalty was halted.