Author Topic: Re: Recent Research and Trials Re: Schizophrenia  (Read 1418 times)

Offline lookout

Re: Recent Research and Trials Re: Schizophrenia
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:06:PM »
It was never ever said by anyone in the medical profession that Sheila had been unaware of what she was doing and unless you can point me in the direction in which it was said,then I'll go on believing that Sheila was fully in charge.

Offline Steve_uk

Re: Re: Recent Research and Trials Re: Schizophrenia
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 03:10:PM »

Personally,I've avoided highlighting Sheila's " illness " because she wasn't so sick that she never knew what she was doing.
Well I don't think she understood what effects on others banging her fists against the wall was having, even were she not conscious of the fact. I also think the incident when she put her wrist through a glass pane was impromptu, as it is with many self-harmers including the late Diana, Princess of Wales and Dame Kelly Holmes to name but two.

I'd be interested if it is possible to recover from schizophrenia, whether the illness burns itself out over time, or whether the situation pertains as told by Doctor Hugh Cameron Ferguson to Colin, namely that Sheila would have to suffer for the rest of her life.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:12:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline lookout

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 03:12:PM »
Those who've attempted,or talked of suicide don't succeed in doing so because generally they've thought twice,meaning that their intention to do so was never 100% sure. It would be more of a cry for help,except that in Sheila's case she had no option but to carry it through after what she'd done,or face years in a secure institution. There was no other alternative. 

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:16:PM »
Those who've attempted,or talked of suicide don't succeed in doing so because generally they've thought twice,meaning that their intention to do so was never 100% sure. It would be more of a cry for help,except that in Sheila's case she had no option but to carry it through after what she'd done,or face years in a secure institution. There was no other alternative.
Yet statistically those who have discussed suicide before are more likely to carry it out. I don't think we will ever know fully the state of her mind those last few months, though there is anecdotal evidence of her being grateful for June's financial contribution, even if it did on occasion bring condemnatory remarks in its wake.

Offline lookout

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 03:27:PM »
Well I don't think she understood what effects on others banging her fists against the wall was having, even were she not conscious of the fact. I also think the incident when she put her wrist through a glass pane was impromptu, as it is with many self-harmers including the late Diana, Princess of Wales and Dame Kelly Holmes to name but two.

I'd be interested if it is possible to recover from schizophrenia, whether the illness burns itself out over time, or whether the situation pertains as told by Doctor Hugh Cameron Ferguson to Colin, namely that Sheila would have to suffer for the rest of her life.

Schizophrenia is supposed to be caused by a fault in the immune system. If this is right,then it can be reversed,or at least treated as you would do with those whose immune systems are " faulty " which cause other medical problems.
I did read about this quite recently. It's the body's inability to fight illness and instead attacks itself. The same happens with the brain.
It's so very interesting.   

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 03:44:PM »

Schizophrenia is supposed to be caused by a fault in the immune system. If this is right,then it can be reversed,or at least treated as you would do with those whose immune systems are " faulty " which cause other medical problems.
I did read about this quite recently. It's the body's inability to fight illness and instead attacks itself. The same happens with the brain.
It's so very interesting.   
I didn't read the latest Guardian article but what I have read before is that in 10% of cases there may be an autoimmune element. I also read an article several years ago in which was stated that in elderly patients the illness can burn itself out, though have no idea whether this is true or not.

Offline lookout

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 03:56:PM »
I didn't read the latest Guardian article but what I have read before is that in 10% of cases there may be an autoimmune element. I also read an article several years ago in which was stated that in elderly patients the illness can burn itself out, though have no idea whether this is true or not.

I know that psychopathy fizzles out with age,but not sure about schizophrenia as it seems to be prevalent in the elderly as a form of alzheimers. 

Offline lookout

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 03:59:PM »
Poor diets from an early age can trigger all kinds of nasties in later life and I don't believe that either Sheila or Jeremy were candidates for this to have happened.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 04:35:PM »

I know that psychopathy fizzles out with age,but not sure about schizophrenia as it seems to be prevalent in the elderly as a form of alzheimers.
It is true that Schizophrenia does burn itself out when the old Mental Hospitals closed elderly 'burned out' scizophrenics were moved into Homes for the Elderly.  This new discovery that it is an autoimmune disease is really hopeful as the new treatment moves away from the established beliefs that 'mental health' is separate from physical health when in fact all are linked in the immune system which is based in the good bacteria of the gut.  It moves right away from the nasty and unreliable drugs which anyway only treated the psychosis and towards very different and holistic autoimmune treatments without the miserable side effects.  Hope at last. The thinking of causes is therefore now turning towards inflamation as in other autoimmune diseases such as MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis etc.  This thinking also includes other mental health conditions such as bi polar, depression etc. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:38:PM by maggie »

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 04:47:PM »
It's possible that it's an autoimmune disease, or that autoimmune disease causes schizophrenia in some people. It's too early to say if all schizophrenia is caused by autoimmunity.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 05:02:PM »
It's possible that it's an autoimmune disease, or that autoimmune disease causes schizophrenia in some people. It's too early to say if all schizophrenia is caused by autoimmunity.
Yes I agree Kaldin. It's far likelier to be genetic in my opinion and a secondary factor the stresses and strains of everyday life.

Offline lookout

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 05:03:PM »
It is true that Schizophrenia does burn itself out when the old Mental Hospitals closed elderly 'burned out' scizophrenics were moved into Homes for the Elderly.  This new discovery that it is an autoimmune disease is really hopeful as the new treatment moves away from the established beliefs that 'mental health' is separate from physical health when in fact all are linked in the immune system which is based in the good bacteria of the gut.  It moves right away from the nasty and unreliable drugs which anyway only treated the psychosis and towards very different and holistic autoimmune treatments without the miserable side effects.  Hope at last. The thinking of causes is therefore now turning towards inflamation as in other autoimmune diseases such as MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis etc.  This thinking also includes other mental health conditions such as bi polar, depression etc.

Very interesting Maggie. Yes,it is connected to the bacteria in the gut,which is an amazing find. It's getting that balance right between good and bad bacteria I suppose.
There must be a lot of bad guts around judging by the increase in mental health,especially in youngsters ? I've never known anything like it. It used to be recognised " in my day " in menopausal women who used to bash their husbands with the frying pan or bad fathers who used the " belt ". I bet their offspring are barmy in some way,menopausal themselves. One usually follows the other.
I just can't see anything untoward in either Bamber siblings because of their parentage.

Offline lookout

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 05:09:PM »
Yes I agree Kaldin. It's far likelier to be genetic in my opinion and a secondary factor the stresses and strains of everyday life.

A lot depends on the capabilities of a sufferer how much of these " stresses and strains " they can endure. As,let's face it,life itself is an endurance test and is based on tolerance,of which not many are capable of,as well as shutting off too which you can train your mind to do as most problems aren't that bad that they can't be solved.

Offline lookout

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 05:14:PM »
A certain amount of stress is good as it helps you focus. Even though you mightn't see the light at the end of the tunnel,it's not the end of the world--------though with some you'd think it was.

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 05:57:PM »
A certain amount of stress is good as it helps you focus. Even though you mightn't see the light at the end of the tunnel,it's not the end of the world--------though with some you'd think it was.

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Mental illness is a risk factor for suicide, and the suicide rate among people with schizophrenia is quite high. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), about 1 in 10 people with schizophrenia take their own lives. The NIMH reports that the suicide rate in the general population is only 1 in 10,000. However, about 10 times as many people attempt to take their own lives (1 in 1,000), but do not actually die. As with the general population, people with schizophrenia that are most at risk for suicide are young adult males. One medication, clozapine, has been shown to reduce suicide risk in people with schizophrenia. However, clozapine also has potentially serious side effects and must be monitored closely.
Julie Mugford the main prosecution witness was guilty of numerous crimes, 13 separate cheque frauds, robbery, and drug dealing and also making a deal with a national newspaper before trial that if she could convince a jury her ex boyfriend was guilty of five murders she would receive £25,000