Author Topic: Re: DO MODS BAN DISRUPTIVE POSTERS QUICKLY ENOUGH?  (Read 7651 times)

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
Re: DO MODS BAN DISRUPTIVE POSTERS QUICKLY ENOUGH?
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:17:PM »
Maggie. With all due respect what is the point of repeatedly threatening to ban people then never acting on it?
People ignore your warnings because they realise nothing ever happens  :-\

That is not correct David.  We are reluctant to impose bans because that can increase problems, with members posting in support of the banned member.  Nevertheless we do use the power to ban on occasions where we feel we have no choice.  Bear in mind that a ban can be short term.  We very rarely impose a permanent ban, although it has happened a few times.  When a ban is imposed we do not normally announce it on the open forum.

Offline David1819

Re: Re: DO MODS BAN DISRUPTIVE POSTERS QUICKLY ENOUGH?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:31:PM »
That is not correct David.  We are reluctant to impose bans because that can increase problems, with members posting in support of the banned member.  Nevertheless we do use the power to ban on occasions where we feel we have no choice.  Bear in mind that a ban can be short term.  We very rarely impose a permanent ban, although it has happened a few times.  When a ban is imposed we do not normally announce it on the open forum.

The only members I know of that have been banned since I have joined are John and Scipio. The former having been banned multiple times under multiple accounts.

Offline David1819

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:35:PM »
David people do take notice  Of course some don't and if they don't action is taken. Your post is not helpful.

Constuctive criticism can be helpfull.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:35:PM by David1819 »

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:43:PM »
Constuctive criticism can be helpfull.
Its fine David think we get what you're saying

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 06:54:PM »
The only members I know of that have been banned since I have joined are John and Scipio. The former having been banned multiple times under multiple accounts.
There have been quite a few short term bans apart from those two David.
As ngb said we tend to not advertise when a poster is banned.

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:50:PM »

There have been others banned.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 10:05:PM »
Are members being invited to comment upon the question posed in the thread title?

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:PM »
Are members being invited to comment upon the question posed in the thread title?

If you want, please comment Roch.  Your opinion would be appreciated.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:30:PM »
If you want, please comment Roch.  Your opinion would be appreciated.

OK.  It's a difficult one.  Personally, my natural inclination would be to take a tough line in order to stamp out recurring, problematic issues.  Some on-going issues can only be assessed on a member by member basis (i.e. not all issues not easily fit in to a categorised 'offence').

I understand the ethos of the forum is towards toleration and inclusion and I couldn't 100% guarantee that taking a firmer line would result in a 'better' forum.  There would probably be some loss or sacrifice entailed in the process. 

In theory, if it's easier to incur a ban - that should translate in to more sensible posting and less work for the mods.   The return of the banned member might depend upon their posting behaviour elsewhere...

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:32:PM by Roch »

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:AM »
OK.  It's a difficult one.  Personally, my natural inclination would be to take a tough line in order to stamp out recurring, problematic issues.  Some on-going issues can only be assessed on a member by member basis (i.e. not all issues not easily fit in to a categorised 'offence').

I understand the ethos of the forum is towards toleration and inclusion and I couldn't 100% guarantee that taking a firmer line would result in a 'better' forum.  There would probably be some loss or sacrifice entailed in the process. 

In theory, if it's easier to incur a ban - that should translate in to more sensible posting and less work for the mods.   The return of the banned member might depend upon their posting behaviour elsewhere...

Your points are fair ones Roch.  It is a difficult balance.

Two bans were imposed last night.  They are both temporary.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 01:10:PM »

It already does.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:42:PM by ngb1066 »
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 05:44:PM »

In theory, if it's easier to incur a ban - that should translate in to more sensible posting and less work for the mods.  The return of the banned member might depend upon their posting behaviour elsewhere...

We will give higher priority to that factor from now on.

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 10:40:PM »
Your points are fair ones Roch.  It is a difficult balance.

Two bans were imposed last night.  They are both temporary.

One is now permanent, the other lifted early.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 12:24:PM »
Neil, thanks for the updates.

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 10:36:PM »
I am wishing the mods would do something about posters demanding sources when those sources have already been stated umpteen times.

its just a dishonest time wasting exercise desgned to shut down debate.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:38:PM by nugnug »