Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Caroline

Hurricane Irma
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:49:PM »
This is a great site for tracking Hurricane's (For anyone interested).

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline lookout

Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:09:PM »
I couldn't live in places where there were hurricanes. I hate winds/gales at the best of times as they're very unnerving,but how these poor souls cope I'll never know. Then the horrendous floods that follow.
Weather conditions around the world definitely are more extreme than they ever were.

Mother Nature biting back.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:40:PM »
I couldn't live in places where there were hurricanes. I hate winds/gales at the best of times as they're very unnerving,but how these poor souls cope I'll never know. Then the horrendous floods that follow.
Weather conditions around the world definitely are more extreme than they ever were.

I worked in the Caribbean for a few years, I was lucky enough to never have to experience a hurricane but hear many tales of people who had. It can take years to recover and rebuild.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:00:PM »

You say that Lookout but it is like living in a wind tunnel in our home city.  ;D

Offline lookout

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:40:AM »
You say that Lookout but it is like living in a wind tunnel in our home city.  ;D

Yes Maggie and we get the full blast off the Irish sea,which is scary watching the height of some of those waves. As you know,the 80's saw the storm that destroyed the bathing pool and buildings which had stood for over 150 years down on the prom. It was devastating to see,especially when the lifeboat had to go along the road rescuing injured people and taking them to waiting ambulances,which were parked on an incline.
It was nature at its worst. 

Offline lookout

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:03:AM »
I worked in the Caribbean for a few years, I was lucky enough to never have to experience a hurricane but hear many tales of people who had. It can take years to recover and rebuild.

Beautiful places when it's calm. A friend of mine, whose husband is from Barbados,goes every year with her husband to see his family.I think the area is called St James. They usually go at this time of the year but I haven't had any recent emails to say that they're there.
They were in Cape Verde last year but my friend hadn't been impressed with it.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:00:PM »

Yes Maggie and we get the full blast off the Irish sea,which is scary watching the height of some of those waves. As you know,the 80's saw the storm that destroyed the bathing pool and buildings which had stood for over 150 years down on the prom. It was devastating to see,especially when the lifeboat had to go along the road rescuing injured people and taking them to waiting ambulances,which were parked on an incline.
It was nature at its worst.
I remember the landing stage floating away when I was very young
 The wind in the spring was a relentless torture, made your hair stick up cos of all the static, blew your skirt over your head, all the workmen used to whistle and holler as you battled to pull it down......it was mortifying to a 16 year old, I used to dread going out. Was at the Pier Head few years ago and had to fight to open the car door.
On a serious note it is horrendous what's happening at the moment not just in the Caribbean and US but also the devastation and loss of life in Southern Asia. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:04:PM by maggie »

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:20:PM »
the 80's saw the storm

Are you referring to the Michael Fish storm?  800 year old Oak trees tossed around like matchsticks etc. 

Offline Caroline

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 12:45:PM »

Beautiful places when it's calm. A friend of mine, whose husband is from Barbados,goes every year with her husband to see his family.I think the area is called St James. They usually go at this time of the year but I haven't had any recent emails to say that they're there.
They were in Cape Verde last year but my friend hadn't been impressed with it.

Yes, it is VERY beautiful when the sun is shinning. I spent quite a bit of time in the Bahamas (Freeport) and Cuba, both of which are in the path of the hurricane. Hope there are no casualties but it's unlikely, given the size of this thing!

Offline Caroline

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 12:55:PM »
There looks to be a smaller hurricane behind Irma! http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/vis-animated.gif

Offline lookout

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 01:01:PM »
Yes,the name escapes me,but it's " J ". I think it was on the news yesterday.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 01:12:PM »
Yes,the name escapes me,but it's " J ". I think it was on the news yesterday.

Jose, just seen it on the news. Barbuda, is devastated and it's getting worse. Think this will be catastrophic!

Videomages from ISS

https://www. iyoutube.com/watch?v=XoMRueJ17Rc

Offline lookout

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 01:57:PM »
Jose, just seen it on the news. Barbuda, is devastated and it's getting worse. Think this will be catastrophic!

Videomages from ISS

https://www. iyoutube.com/watch?v=XoMRueJ17Rc

Yes,that's the name,Jose. ( always has to be female this time )
It's truly horrendous and my heart goes out to the people caught up in it all. I can't begin to imagine how those who've been left destitute must be feeling.
I know your interest will be heightened by the fact that you've spent time in those areas,it's only natural as I'd be the same.

Offline lookout

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 02:02:PM »
Are you referring to the Michael Fish storm?  800 year old Oak trees tossed around like matchsticks etc.

I remember that too when Sevenoaks in Kent had been reduced to Oneoak,and Michael Fish saying it wouldn't be stormy. He had years of stick for that.
I wasn't referring to that though,it was another storm on the Wirral here.

Offline lookout

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 02:08:PM »
I remember the landing stage floating away when I was very young
 The wind in the spring was a relentless torture, made your hair stick up cos of all the static, blew your skirt over your head, all the workmen used to whistle and holler as you battled to pull it down......it was mortifying to a 16 year old, I used to dread going out. Was at the Pier Head few years ago and had to fight to open the car door.
On a serious note it is horrendous what's happening at the moment not just in the Caribbean and US but also the devastation and loss of life in Southern Asia.

Yes,the Pier Head gets a battering being open to the elements,it takes you all your time to stay standing down there when it's blowing a gale.
Southern Asia has suffered terrible loss with the floods and landslides and they had little or nothing to start with. The weather can be so cruel.