Author Topic: Studying Nevill's 11 words in his 4 second phone call.  (Read 658 times)

Offline Adam

Studying Nevill's 11 words in his 4 second phone call.
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:03:AM »
Please come over:

After waiting what could have been up to 5 minutes for Bamber to answer the phone from 'sleeping like a log', Nevill does not introduce himself. A simple 'Jeremy it's dad' would have been sufficient & taken 2 seconds.

At 3am, the ringing phone could have been anyone. Wrong number or a crank call. Again it would have been helpful for Nevill to spend 2 seconds saying  'Jeremy it's dad'.

At 3am Bamber may have still been half asleep when answering the phone. Nevill did not check to make sure Bamber was awake enough to understand what he was going to say. A simple 'are you awake' ? would have taken another 2 seconds.

Sheila's gone crazy

Only hours earlier Bamber said Sheila had been silent & not paying attention.

Nevill did not elaborate on Sheila. Was Sheila threatening people. Dancing on the kitchen table, or just reading Junes bible ?

Bamber said himself he didn't understand Sheila's illness. He would now have no idea what Sheila being 'crazy' meant.

And she's got the gun

When meeting the police, Bamber assumed this was the rifle which he, Nevill & June had left out. After Bamber spotted rabbits & fully loaded it.

However at the time I'm not sure why Nevill didn't give more information -

What gun ?
Was it loaded ?
Was everyone alright ?
Why isn't mum helping ?
Have the police been called ?
What did Nevill want Bamber to do at WHF ? 
Would Bamber be in danger inside WHF ?

Giving this information would have taken 20 seconds & helped both Nevill & Bamber. However after waiting several minutes for Bamber to answer the phone, Nevill felt this extra 20 seconds of explanation was not needed. 

Nevill giving Bamber the chance to ask Nevill questions

Nevill put the phone down within 6 seconds meaning Bamber could not ask any questions.

The end of the call

Bamber said the line went dead. Supporters have claimed this was done by Sheila.

However the line did not go dead in mid sentence as Nevill was trying to elaborate. 

Nevill had said 11 words & completed a sentence. Which suggests Nevill voluntarily put the phone down.

-----------------------

Nevill did not spend another 30 seconds introducing himself, asking if Bamber was awake & giving basic details in such a serious situation. After waiting several minutes for Bamber to answer the phone,

Nevill just spent 6 seconds saying 11 words to Bamber. Asking his son to risk his life for him.

Bamber now would be in a massive panic & not have a clue how to react.

Nevill should know better & Bamber deserved better.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:47:AM by Adam »
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline lebaleb

Re: Studying Nevill's 11 words in his 6 second phone call.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:42:AM »
I don't know about you but when my relatives call they don't have to introduce themselves.
Jeremy answered the phone, so 'are you awake' would be a pretty stupid question.
Jeremy may not have understood Sheila's illness, who does understand schizophrenia, but I'm sure he knew what could happen when she had an episode. so no need to elaborate on the meaning of 'crazy'.
Sheila had a gun. Nobody knew what she was going to do with it or even if it was loaded or not.
Some supporters may have claimed Sheila cut the phone but I believe Neville wanted to make another call to the doctor as had been done when she had an episode at Freddy's.

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:49:AM »
A realistic time scale for Nevill's call would be 75 seconds -

0 - 5 seconds

Nevill introduces himself & makes sure Bamber is fully awake & paying attention.

5 - 35 seconds

Nevill gives an overview of what is happening.

35 - 75 seconds

Nevill answers any questions Bamber has. Bamber confirms he's coming over.

-----------------------

Nevill deciding to ring Bamber & spend a long time waiting for him to answer, just to spend 6 seconds speaking, before putting the phone down,  is not plausible.

The claim that Sheila put the phone down is also not plausible as Nevill would then have had the chance to disarm her.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:07:AM by Adam »

Offline lebaleb

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:57:AM »
A realistic time scale for Nevill's call would be 75 seconds -

0 - 5 seconds

Nevill introduces himself & makes sure Bamber is awake & paying attention.

5 - 35 seconds

Nevill gives an overview of what is happening.

35 - 75 seconds

Nevill answers any questions Bamber has. Bamber confirms he's coming over.

-----------------------

Nevill deciding to ring Bamber & spend a long time waiting for him to answer, just to spend 6 seconds speaking, before putting the phone down,  is not plausible.

The claim that Sheila put the phone down is also not plausible as Nevill would then have had the chance to disarm her.

You just reiterated your original points without answering my criticism.

Offline lookout

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:AM »
Who studied Neville's phone-call ? Nobody,obviously.
Where do you get your 6 seconds from ? Dial-up phones took longer than that to get a connection.

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:03:AM »
I don't know about you but when my relatives call they don't have to introduce themselves.
Jeremy answered the phone, so 'are you awake' would be a pretty stupid question.
Jeremy may not have understood Sheila's illness, who does understand schizophrenia, but I'm sure he knew what could happen when she had an episode. so no need to elaborate on the meaning of 'crazy'.
Sheila had a gun. Nobody knew what she was going to do with it or even if it was loaded or not.
Some supporters may have claimed Sheila cut the phone but I believe Neville wanted to make another call to the doctor as had been done when she had an episode at Freddy's.

It was 3am, so Nevill saying 'it's dad' & confirming Bamber was alert would be normal practice. It was a serious situation.

Nevill wanted urgent & useful assistance from Bamber. The best way to get this was to give Bamber something to go on. Just speaking for 6 seconds & then putting the phone down will just confuse Bamber.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:06:AM by Adam »

Offline Jane J

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:05:AM »

Exactly! He called a doctor. Someone who could do something. He didn't call Jeremy first. He didn't call Jeremy, full stop. Why would he?

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:05:AM »
Who studied Neville's phone-call ? Nobody,obviously.
Where do you get your 6 seconds from ? Dial-up phones took longer than that to get a connection.

To say 11 words would take 6 seconds. Or less.

Nevill was obviously going to speak quickly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:06:AM by Adam »

Offline lookout

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 09:11:AM »
To say 11 words would take 6 seconds. Or less.

Nevill was obviously going to speak quickly.

Not if you couldn't get your words out quick enough. Allowances for being out of breath due to the time limit in making the call mixed with the real fear of a catastrophe. Wouldn't you be scared ? Swallowing and looking over your shoulder ?
There are lots of things to take into consideration when making such a call.Neville had ran downstairs,don't forget and he was no spring chicken either.

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 09:25:AM »

Not if you couldn't get your words out quick enough. Allowances for being out of breath due to the time limit in making the call mixed with the real fear of a catastrophe. Wouldn't you be scared ? Swallowing and looking over your shoulder ?
There are lots of things to take into consideration when making such a call.Neville had ran downstairs,don't forget and he was no spring chicken either.

Bamber has never said Nevill had problems saying the 11 words. Or that there were any long pauses between the words.

Therefore it has to be assummed Nevill said the words quickly before putting the phone down.  It was a serious situation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:26:AM by Adam »

Offline Adam

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 09:29:AM »
6 seconds is actually generous.

Speaking slowly & pausing after 'please come over', saying those 11 words would take a lot less than 6 seconds.

As mentioned, a plasible call would take around 75 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:31:AM by Adam »

Offline lookout

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 09:34:AM »
Nothing " plausible " about the call.

Offline Jane J

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 09:41:AM »

I would imagine he might have put the phone down and called the appropriate agency during the time it took Jeremy to wake from sleep and get down stairs. He'd certainly have had time to catch his breath. Probably reevaluate the wisdom of the call?

Offline Adam

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:AM »
Nothing " plausible " about the call.

Agree with you there.

Nevill's aim was to get Bamber to quickly go over to WHF at 3am.

The 11 words Nevill said were very strong & may have been successful in achieving it's aim. However they also gave no information & would have confused & scared Bamber.

The evidence shows Nevill's 11 words in 6 seconds were unsuccessful in their aim. On the night Bamber rang Julie & the police & did not go within 50 feet of WHF. He eventually entered the building after several days.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:20:AM by Adam »

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 09:48:AM »
Exactly! He called a doctor. Someone who could do something. He didn't call Jeremy first. He didn't call Jeremy, full stop. Why would he?
Hi Jane, I know this is a hypothetical argument as it cannot be anything else without more input.
The logical reply could be 'Why wouldn't he?', because we don't know enough.  In an emergency situation we have to make quick choices, no time for pondering, weighing up pros and cons therefore it may have been reflex to phone his son.
In my life it's an unnatural and stressful act to phone the police, certainly not a reflex action.
In a similar context and similar situation to that facing Nevill, I cannot honestly be sure what I would do.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:53:AM by maggie »