Author Topic: Could Bamber have pretended to be Nevill on the phone ?  (Read 218 times)

Offline Adam

Bamber could have pretended to be Nevill on the phone to the police. It would not be too hard to create a false older voice to sound like someone Bamber knew intimately.

This could be to either support his own second call to the police.

Or he could just make one call & pretend to be Nevill. Staying at home until the police contacted him or he arrived for work in the morning & was greeted by a swarm of people.

If he did just make one call, pretending to be Nevill, it would have been even more of a disaster if he had called Julie at 3am. 

He obviously didn't phone the police & pretend to be Nevill. The police have never said they received a call from Nevill & Bamber only claimed Nevill called them in 2010.

There are lots of advantages & disadvantages of pretending to be Nevill. As it happened Bamber used Nevill, but only to say he received a 'mysterious' call from him. This gave Bamber the chance to influence the police for several hours outside WHF. However the negative is it rounded down the (alive) suspects to one.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:02:PM by Adam »
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
Re: Could Bamber have pretended to be Nevill on the phone ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:PM »
Why start a topic asking a question then answer your own question?

???
"Truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

"The idea that he could invent a tale of a killing spree by a mentally disturbed woman to be lent credibility by further violent episodes over the following decades is hard to credit."

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:14:PM »
Why start a topic asking a question then answer your own question?

???

I've given my opinion that it could have worked.

Bamber could later say he was 'sleeping like a log all night'. However he would have no influence on what the police at WHF were thinking or doing.

As mentioned, phoning Julie at 3am would have ruined the fake Nevill call attempt. 

Only Bamber knows whether he considered it. Julie just says Bamber was going to cycle, exit out of the kitchen window & use Sheila as scapegoat.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:21:PM by Adam »

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:23:PM »
I've given my opinion that it could have worked.

Bamber could later say he was 'sleeping like a log all night'. However he would have no influence on what the police at WHF were thinking or doing.

As mentioned, phoning Julie at 3am would have ruined the fake Nevill call attempt. 

Only Bamber knows whether he considered it. Julie just says Bamber was going to cycle, exit out of the kitchen window & use Sheila as scapegoat.
I wonder if he thought Police could record a call, which is why he didn't mimic Nevill and didn't dial 999.

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:PM »
Bamber could have pretended to be Nevill on the phone to the police. It would not be too hard to create a false older voice to sound like someone Bamber knew intimately.

This could be to either support his own second call to the police.

Or he could just make one call & pretend to be Nevill. Staying at home until the police contacted him or he arrived for work in the morning & was greeted by a swarm of people.

If he did just make one call, pretending to be Nevill, it would have been even more of a disaster if he had called Julie at 3am. 

He obviously didn't phone the police & pretend to be Nevill. The police have never said they received a call from Nevill & Bamber only claimed Nevill called them in 2010.

There are lots of advantages & disadvantages of pretending to be Nevill. As it happened Bamber used Nevill, but only to say he received a 'mysterious' call from him. This gave Bamber the chance to influence the police for several hours outside WHF. However the negative is it rounded down the (alive) suspects to one.

are you saying you think neviles call happend then.

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:PM »
I wonder if he thought Police could record a call, which is why he didn't mimic Nevill and didn't dial 999.

If the police could record a call, it shouldn't deter him. Bamber would have been given a good Nevill impression.

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 07:31:PM »
are you saying you think neviles call happend then.

The 5th paragraph in my thread post says 'no'.

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:36:PM »
If the police could record a call, it shouldn't deter him. Bamber would have been given a good Nevill impression.
He should have been an actor..

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 07:39:PM »
Another option would be for Bamber to ring the police & pretend to be Nevill. During the conversation with the police, he could ask the police to phone his son, Jeremy & give the police his number. Claiming his son could calm Sheila down.

The police then ring & wake Bamber from sleeping 'like a log' & Bamber meets them at WHF.

Bamber would have to ring the police & pretend to be Nevill from his cottage. In case the police immediately rang him after Nevill's request.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:41:PM by Adam »

Offline Hartley.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:PM »
Another option would be for Bamber to ring the police & pretend to be Nevill. During the conversation with the police, he could ask the police to phone his son, Jeremy & give the police his number. Claiming his son could calm Sheila down.

The police then ring & wake Bamber from sleeping 'like a log' & Bamber meets them at WHF.

Bamber would have to ring the police & pretend to be Nevill from his cottage. In case the police immediately rang him after Nevill's request.

Perhaps JB's real downfall was in trying to engineer an alibi by inventing a phone call from Neville.

Offline Adam

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:PM »
If the police ask why Nevill (Bamber) can't ring his son himself, he could say Jeremy is quite lazy & would not take a call from his father seriously enough.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:56:PM by Adam »

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 07:58:PM »
Perhaps JB's real downfall was in trying to engineer an alibi by inventing a phone call from Neville.
Yes Hartley, trying to be too clever by half. It's a bit like the typed computer message purported to be from Robin, which tells me father and son were worlds apart.

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:PM »
If the police ask why Nevill (Bamber) can't ring his son himself, he could say Jeremy is quite lazy & would not take a call from his father seriously enough.
He could have gasped a couple of words and then hung up.

Offline lookout

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 08:07:PM »
Wouldn't EP have compared the phone-calls ? Or didn't it enter their heads ?

Offline Adam

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 08:12:PM »
Wouldn't EP have compared the phone-calls ? Or didn't it enter their heads ?

If Bamber became a suspect & the audio's had not been deleted, yes.

But as mentioned Bamber would have sounded different when pretending to be Nevill.