Author Topic: Disappearing Threads and PMs Sept 2017  (Read 7264 times)

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
Re: Disappearing Threads and PMs Sept 2017
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 10:09:PM »
do you know if the threads will bck or will have to start them again.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 11:42:PM »
do you know if the threads will bck or will have to start them again.

Best just start them again.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 11:51:PM »
OK - the forum was migrated to a new server. We were told that is wouldn't impact the forum, however, that's obviously not the case, there were clearly issues and posts and PMs have gone missing.
Was it migrated using the SMF software or by other means? Were you told in advance of the migration, and that the data on the old server wouldn't be retained in case problems arose?

Offline Caroline

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2017, 12:16:AM »
Was it migrated using the SMF software or by other means? Were you told in advance of the migration, and that the data on the old server wouldn't be retained in case problems arose?

The host company migrated the data, yes we were told in advance but it was supposed to have happened on 07/08/2017 so assumed all was well. The old data was retained which is why it have been restored (or at least most of it has).

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 12:43:AM »
Doesn't being told in advance imply that you are told before it happens (so that you can take precautions), not that it has already happened? You didn't answer my question... was the migration done using SMF software or by some other means?

Offline Caroline

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 12:57:AM »
Doesn't being told in advance imply that you are told before it happens (so that you can take precautions), not that it has already happened? You didn't answer my question... was the migration done using SMF software or by some other means?

As I physically didn't do the migration, how would I know? What precautions would you like me to have taken?

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 01:46:AM »
There are various elementary precautions. For example, the forum can be made temporarily accessible to just the admins while the migration occurs, and checks can be made that the migrated forum contains the same data (in identical files) after the migration as it contained before (if that's supposed to be the case), and that the SMF software (and any other software used by SMF, such as database software) hasn't changed. The host can be asked in advance whether any software changes will occur at the same time as the migration. The host can be asked whether the migration is done by SMF software or by some other means. The host can be asked whether a "similar" migration has been done before without problems arising. The admins can use the forum before reopening it for general use, and check that no unexpected error messages resulted from that use.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 02:06:AM »
There are various elementary precautions. For example, the forum can be made temporarily accessible to just the admins while the migration occurs, and checks can be made that the migrated forum contains the same data (in identical files) after the migration as it contained before (if that's supposed to be the case), and that the SMF software (and any other software used by SMF, such as database software) hasn't changed. The host can be asked in advance whether any software changes will occur at the same time as the migration. The host can be asked whether the migration is done by SMF software or by some other means. The host can be asked whether a "similar" migration has been done before without problems arising. The admins can use the forum before reopening it for general use, and check that no unexpected error messages resulted from that use.

Unbelievable! I hope you had a lovely weekend Reader because mine was spent sorting this shit out - If you had bothered to read what I have said previously, we were told that the migration would take place on 07/08/2017 and that there would be no issues. As there were no issues at that time, it was assumed that all went to plan. The host weren't interested in liaising with us, we weren't the only forum that was migrated and as they failed to answer simple questions when asked, I very much doubt they would be interested in giving me an itinerary or their intentions, either before, during or after the event. We don't get special treatment Reader - we weren't asked to be part of the process and I'm not sure why you imagine we would be?

The host support, by the way is outsourced to India and you are dealing with a language barrier. I waited a whole day for ONE question to be answered (NGB will back me up on this) and when they did answer, they completely misunderstood what I had said. It's easy to criticise when you pop in now and again and observe but for someone who wears a moderators hat, I have yet to see you own the title!

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 02:54:AM »
If the host isn't answering questions, all the more reason to check whether the forum data prior to the move matches the forum data after the move. Also, all the more reason to have mentioned the planned migration on the forum as soon as you knew about it, so that members could look out for anything strange happening, keep copies of their own posts, etc. Additionally, the frequency of backups can temporarily be increased until experience suggests that nothing untoward is happening. The idea is to avoid a situation where you don't really know what caused any problems that happen to occur, and therefore don't really know whether they will or won't continue to happen. There are other things that can be checked. For example, if a thread or post or PM has "disappeared", has it really gone, or is it just the case that the forum software doesn't show it to some (or even all) members? One could also consider whether the SMF software has "safe" options available to admins for checking the consistency of the database, thereby allowing you to know of problems before they've been reported by members.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2017, 03:38:AM »
If the host isn't answering questions, all the more reason to check whether the forum data prior to the move matches the forum data after the move. Also, all the more reason to have mentioned the planned migration on the forum as soon as you knew about it, so that members could look out for anything strange happening, keep copies of their own posts, etc. Additionally, the frequency of backups can temporarily be increased until experience suggests that nothing untoward is happening. The idea is to avoid a situation where you don't really know what caused any problems that happen to occur, and therefore don't really know whether they will or won't continue to happen. There are other things that can be checked. For example, if a thread or post or PM has "disappeared", has it really gone, or is it just the case that the forum software doesn't show it to some (or even all) members? One could also consider whether the SMF software has "safe" options available to admins for checking the consistency of the database, thereby allowing you to know of problems before they've been reported by members.

Reader - you have absolutely no idea, you are naively suggesting a bespoke migration and that would COST! You are welcome to take over my position but it will mean ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:50:AM by Caroline »

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2017, 05:59:AM »
What cost is involved in telling members in advance that a migration to a new server is expected? What cost is involved in telling them why further similar loss of data seems unlikely (if that's the case)?

Offline Jane

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2017, 08:21:AM »
What cost is involved in telling members in advance that a migration to a new server is expected? What cost is involved in telling them why further similar loss of data seems unlikely (if that's the case)?

Rarely have I come across SUCH rudeness and ingratitude from someone who does sod all squared other than turn up every month or so, criticize with a level of pedantry seldom seen, and then clear off. As you clearly believe in your own superiority, I suggest you pull your finger out and prove it. Rather than talking about it, perhaps an offer of help wouldn't come amiss. As the saying goes, a little help is worth a lot of pity......................or in your case, a lot of criticism.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:36:AM by Jane J »

Offline lookout

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2017, 09:38:AM »

Why should it bother you,you rarely post ??   ::)

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2017, 10:25:AM »
erm shouldent the title of this thread be changed.

Offline David1819

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2017, 10:35:AM »

Says the moderator who does nothing.