Author Topic: Re: Chit chat, New Brighton,Liverpool and the price of fish  (Read 3323 times)

Offline susan

Re: Re: Chit chat, New Brighton,Liverpool and the price of fish
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 10:24:PM »

Some of those freight/passenger ships were fabulous and the fares were cheaper. I do remember before my first journey to Oz,phoning up what I though was Tilbury docks to enquire about steerage and the voice at the other end piped up " City of Lichfield " ,in a Paul O'Grady voice. I was in a fit of giggles and couldn't speak.
What I'd pictured and envisaged was to " cruise " there and fly back,but it didn't materialise so I flew both ways.
It was my late husband who told me to enquire because he said I'd be well treated and would enjoy good food.

Lookout the cargo boats were the best the few passengers they carried were looked after like royalty some were quite expensive.

Offline lookout

Re: Re: Chit chat, New Brighton,Liverpool and the price of fish
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 10:33:PM »
Lookout the cargo boats were the best the few passengers they carried were looked after like royalty some were quite expensive.

I believe so Susan. I think they took about a dozen passengers.
Those huge ACL cargo/carriers come up river and sail to the Far East and beyond.They're like big buildings. 

Offline lookout

Re: Chit chat, New Brighton,Liverpool and the price of fish
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 08:26:PM »
The Queen Elizabeth is in Liverpool and it's her last visit there.She sails tomorrow night so there'll be a fireworks display etc. at 10pm  and loads of people along the prom. which is always good to see.
Other sailings are the usual cruise ships which leave Liverpool,but they're no way as majestic as the Queen Elizabeth.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
Re: Chit chat, New Brighton,Liverpool and the price of fish
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 08:31:PM »
The Queen Elizabeth is in Liverpool and it's her last visit there.She sails tomorrow night so there'll be a fireworks display etc. at 10pm  and loads of people along the prom. which is always good to see.
Other sailings are the usual cruise ships which leave Liverpool,but they're no way as majestic as the Queen Elizabeth.
I was a day out but on the right track. She must be a fantastic sight x
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:40:PM by maggie »