Author Topic: Re: Chit chat, New Brighton,Liverpool and the price of fish  (Read 3321 times)

guest7363

Re: Chit chat, New Brighton,Liverpool and the price of fish
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 08:50:PM »

I know there are a load of short clips on Youtube but I went on Ebay and there were no sets of DVD'S.
I will have a scout later Lookout

Offline lookout

Re: Re: Chit chat, New Brighton,Liverpool and the price of fish
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:PM »
I wish.

All I do is watch them sail into the sunset  :( The Disney ship is due in on Friday,so I'll wave that goodbye.
To be perfectly honest,cruising has never appealed to me as I like to get to places quickly,not stuck in the middle of nowhere surrounded by water.

Offline susan

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 09:05:PM »

All I do is watch them sail into the sunset  :( The Disney ship is due in on Friday,so I'll wave that goodbye.
To be perfectly honest,cruising has never appealed to me as I like to get to places quickly,not stuck in the middle of nowhere surrounded by water.

Hello lookout

I loved the big liners use to visit the Cunard Office in Liverpool and Canadian Pacific had some rare liners sailed out of there as well.  Very majestic looking

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:PM »

I thought I read there was a celebration on the Mersey tomorrow night Lookout. There will be fireworks, the ferryboats are involved, is it something to do with the liner, The Queen Elizabeth?

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:PM »
Hello lookout

I loved the big liners use to visit the Cunard Office in Liverpool and Canadian Pacific had some rare liners sailed out of there as well.  Very majestic looking
Empress of Canada often called there and so many others, it's good the liners are back in Liverpool.

Offline lookout

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 09:15:PM »
I thought I read there was a celebration on the Mersey tomorrow night Lookout. There will be fireworks, the ferryboats are involved, is it something to do with the liner, The Queen Elizabeth?

Do you know what Maggie,I haven't seen anything in the Echo about that but one or two people have mentioned it. Not even on TV,News North West, which is odd.

Offline susan

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 09:16:PM »
Empress of Canada often called there and so many others, it's good the liners are back in Liverpool.

Maggie I was so lucky I got to sail on many of them but mostly from Southampton I use to board cargo boats in Liverpool gave us a great lunch and some of the crew were quite tasty as well :))

Offline lookout

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 09:19:PM »

I remember the Empress of Canada,lovely ship.All white if I remember rightly.
There's room now at the Pier Head to berth these liners,it's great.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 09:28:PM »

I remember the Empress of Canada,lovely ship.All white if I remember rightly.
There's room now at the Pier Head to berth these liners,it's great.
It is. My dad used to work near the Pier Head and after work he'd often go and look at the liners on his way home. D'you remember when the Landing Stage broke loose in a storm, think one man was killed.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:PM »
Maggie I was so lucky I got to sail on many of them but mostly from Southampton I use to board cargo boats in Liverpool gave us a great lunch and some of the crew were quite tasty as well :))
Billy Fury worked on the ship's, can't remember if it was the tugs or ferries.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:PM »

Do you know what Maggie,I haven't seen anything in the Echo about that but one or two people have mentioned it. Not even on TV,News North West, which is odd.
I saw it on Facebook I think......  Fake news!!

Offline susan

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 09:43:PM »
Billy Fury worked on the ship's, can't remember if it was the tugs or ferries.

Maggie I went on a cargo type ship that did take passengers and they cruised and they gave the passengers usually about 14 max the holiday of a life time food was excellent and so were the cabins did not see Billy Fury :))  I went on the ss France who held the blue ribbon for the fastest Atlantic crossing those were the days. 8)

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 09:48:PM »
Maggie I went on a cargo type ship that did take passengers and they cruised and they gave the passengers usually about 14 max the holiday of a life time food was excellent and so were the cabins did not see Billy Fury :))  I went on the ss France who held the blue ribbon for the fastest Atlantic crossing those were the days. 8)
My Auntie's went to Canary Isles on one of those ships, theirs was a banana boat. They had a great time.  They didn't see Billy Fury either, he worked on the Mersey but by then he was Halfway to Paradise  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:41:PM by maggie »

Offline susan

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 10:02:PM »
My Auntie's went to Canary Isles on one of those ships, theirs was a banana boat. They had a great time.  They didn't see Billy Fury either, he worked on the Mersey. ;D

Maggie I thought I saw your Auntie Mary  she was eating a banana hahahaha  :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline lookout

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 10:19:PM »

Some of those freight/passenger ships were fabulous and the fares were cheaper. I do remember before my first journey to Oz,phoning up what I though was Tilbury docks to enquire about steerage and the voice at the other end piped up " City of Lichfield " ,in a Paul O'Grady voice. I was in a fit of giggles and couldn't speak.
What I'd pictured and envisaged was to " cruise " there and fly back,but it didn't materialise so I flew both ways.
It was my late husband who told me to enquire because he said I'd be well treated and would enjoy good food.