Author Topic: Pay Pal  (Read 1643 times)

guest7363

Pay Pal
« on: June 30, 2017, 08:18:PM »
Yesterday I had my Pay Pal account hacked, someone ordered goods off line from Web site that sells clothing, I got alerted with a text saying £45.99 had been spent through pay pal, by the time I got to my pay pal site to stop and cancel, another £39.99 went out while I was n line. I had to cancel my debit cards and Pay Pal are refunding the money.  The address they gave for delivery was my name and part my address but rest of the address in Surrey, Pay Pal said they will have got my pass word some how?  Any ideas anyone?  I've not been on my Pay Pal site for ages till yesterday sorting this out.

Offline lookout

Re: Pay Pal
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:02:PM »
Yesterday I had my Pay Pal account hacked, someone ordered goods off line from Web site that sells clothing, I got alerted with a text saying £45.99 had been spent through pay pal, by the time I got to my pay pal site to stop and cancel, another £39.99 went out while I was n line. I had to cancel my debit cards and Pay Pal are refunding the money.  The address they gave for delivery was my name and part my address but rest of the address in Surrey, Pay Pal said they will have got my pass word some how?  Any ideas anyone?  I've not been on my Pay Pal site for ages till yesterday sorting this out.

That's awful justice. I hate things like that,with a vengeance ! For years,I'd been getting " spoof " Paypal letters which I reported and they asked me to forward all  spoof emails to them,which I did,and had to keep changing my password  ::)-------but I still got spoof emails ! However,nobody managed to get into my account and this year the spoof emails have been fewer thank goodness. You can easily spot a spoof even though it uses Paypal's logo and looks authentic,there are certain things that don't match----such as a wrong spelling for a start because I've got eyes like a hawk when it comes to that.
I'm glad that you've been reimbursed as thieving/hacking is the lowest of the low.
Paypal told me the spoofs were coming from London.
Mix cap.letters with lower-case and numbers too.

guest7363

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:14:PM »

That's awful justice. I hate things like that,with a vengeance ! For years,I'd been getting " spoof " Paypal letters which I reported and they asked me to forward all  spoof emails to them,which I did,and had to keep changing my password  ::)-------but I still got spoof emails ! However,nobody managed to get into my account and this year the spoof emails have been fewer thank goodness. You can easily spot a spoof even though it uses Paypal's logo and looks authentic,there are certain things that don't match----such as a wrong spelling for a start because I've got eyes like a hawk when it comes to that.
I'm glad that you've been reimbursed as thieving/hacking is the lowest of the low.
Paypal told me the spoofs were coming from London.
Mix cap.letters with lower-case and numbers too.
Thanks Lookout, they were very good Pay Pal and said they always remberse, took an hour to get through to bank to cancel my cards.  I thought I'd got a good password and can't think how they got it, bloody frightening watching someone spend your money ha Ha. 

guest7363

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:21:PM »
Thanks Lookout, they were very good Pay Pal and said they always remberse, took an hour to get through to bank to cancel my cards.  I thought I'd got a good password and can't think how they got it, bloody frightening watching someone spend your money ha Ha.
I wouldn't have minded but they even took out next bloody day delivery £5.99 each item.

Thornton Heath Surrey Address

guest2181

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:38:PM »
I wouldn't have minded but they even took out next bloody day delivery £5.99 each item.

We'll I can confirm, everything I ordered turned up in perfect condition.  ;)

guest7363

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:PM »
We'll I can confirm, everything I ordered turned up in perfect condition.  ;)
Ha Ha, that's all I've been worried about  :'( :'(

guest7363

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:45:PM »
Hope they don't fit them when they arrive ha ha

guest2181

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:13:PM »

;D

Hope everything gets sorted out mate, I can imagine it's not pleasant.

guest7363

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:51:PM »
;D

Hope everything gets sorted out mate, I can imagine it's not pleasant.
Yes sorted now Hartley cheers,  put me off online shopping though, just shocked how they get your password so easy, it's not that they weren't taking large sums out, the clothing store was pretty little things, crap clothes really, whether they were going to try and buy bigger after testing it?

Offline David1819

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 05:38:PM »

What usually happens is, they direct you to site that looks just like paypal when its is actually a there own bogus site. They obtain your password because you have 'logged in' to the bogus paypal webpage they have created. Essentially you are giving the password to them.

Always check how a PayPal message begins. If starts with "Dear sir/madam" or "To Customer" its a scam because PayPal always refer to you by name in correspondence.

Offline David1819

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 05:46:PM »

They have to use the quick delivery option before the seller gets warned.

I do allot of business via paypal. This happens to me almost every few month. I dispatch the product, A few days later the 1st victim get their money reimbursed from my paypal account. The crook gets what I posted. The 2nd victim (me) is at a loss.  :(

guest7363

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 05:50:PM »

I do allot of business via paypal. This happens to me almost every few month. I dispatch the product, A few days later the 1st victim get their money reimbursed from my paypal account. The crook gets what I posted. The 2nd victim (me) is at a loss.  :(
Cheers David, I've not been on any Pay Pal site for ages though, I bought a book of eBay about a month back but other than that it's been yonks?

guest7363

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 05:52:PM »

I think Pay Pal is dangerous and not secure?

Offline lookout

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 02:07:PM »
I think Pay Pal is dangerous and not secure?

No,justice,they're pretty good and refund you. As David said,Paypal refer to your given christian name when addressing you,at all times,so any spoof mail which doesn't------send/forward it to Paypal to trackdown the culprits as it helps stop it happening to other unsuspecting customers.

guest7363

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 02:29:PM »

No,justice,they're pretty good and refund you. As David said,Paypal refer to your given christian name when addressing you,at all times,so any spoof mail which doesn't------send/forward it to Paypal to trackdown the culprits as it helps stop it happening to other unsuspecting customers.
The problem is Lookout I've never had any to send or open so it's not come from any spoof mail, I've never clicked on any links, I had to change my email address because I was always with orange, the orange email shut down end of May so I have had to change, since then I' don't get any emails hardly because of the new email address since I changed end of April.  I never click on links, my daughter works at the bank so she has drilled this into me.