Author Topic: Can JB Forum beat the pollsters Election 2017?  (Read 10222 times)

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
Re: Can JB Forum beat the pollsters Election 2017?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 07:46:PM »
Hope so Maggie, really need him, not convinced with the polls though
I know justice we can never trust the polls.  One thing is for sure the youth, particularly students love him and it's in their interests to get out and vote so hopefully they will. 

guest7363

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 08:14:PM »
I know justice we can never trust the polls.  One thing is for sure the youth, particularly students love him and it's in their interests to get out and vote so hopefully they will.
I know you can't go on council elections but, Derbyshire gone back to conservatives, Chesterfield borough council still Labour though, 37 .5 swing back to conservatives overall, the dales done it for them.  The in fighting within Labour has caused immense damage, instead of getting behind their leader. Hillary Benn biggest culprit,  I bet his father is turning in his grave.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 08:36:PM »
I know you can't go on council elections but, Derbyshire gone back to conservatives, Chesterfield borough council still Labour though, 37 .5 swing back to conservatives overall, the dales done it for them.  The in fighting within Labour has caused immense damage, instead of getting behind their leader. Hillary Benn biggest culprit,  I bet his father is turning in his grave.
As you know the Labour Party is a broad church justice and I think there were reasons why the PLP were against him but Jezza has been able to break through in spite of the negative press and prove himself. 

As I said I bet they are more on side now.  I remember Michael Foot and the disaster that happened and the abuse against such a civilised and caring man by the press, they made him into a caricature of himself and I think there was a real fear this would happen again but it hasn't thank goodness. JC has performed really well and has won a lot of respect from those who listen and form their own opinions.   

Even if they lose think the Labour Party have nothing to be ashamed of this time. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:37:PM by maggie »

Offline gringo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 08:41:PM »
   Spinning more than likely. Not heard much from Hilary since his dreadful speech invoking Guernica as an excuse to bomb some children in Syria. He is a disgrace in my opinion and has no place in the Labour party.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 08:47:PM »
   Spinning more than likely. Not heard much from Hilary since his dreadful speech invoking Guernica as an excuse to bomb some children in Syria. He is a disgrace in my opinion and has no place in the Labour party.
I didn't agree with him but I don't agree with deselection of MPs because they don't fit with some people's ideology.  I think the Labour Party should lead by example and show tolerance.   He's a Labour MP different strokes and all that. 

guest7363

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 08:50:PM »
Agreed Gringo, it was one of my biggest shocks how he behaved, I think he will come out the woodwork again after the elections.  His dad did so much for my sister in law and the miners during the strike.

Offline gringo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2017, 08:54:PM »
   Purely anecdotally, Maggie, I have four daughters, all of whom are voting Labour. The two youngest, 20 and 18, are both keen to vote and have made sure that they are registered. From discussions with the girls it is clear that their respective peer groups at university are involved and likely to vote.
     The two older daughters, 33 and 28, also are registered and certain to vote.
     Again there seems more interest in their peer groups than usual. Previously apathetic people, in my own experience, seem to be taking more notice.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 08:58:PM »
Agreed Gringo, it was one of my biggest shocks how he behaved, I think he will come out the woodwork again after the elections.  His dad did so much for my sister in law and the miners during the strike.
I have seen too much bullying behind the scenes when deselection and intolernce get the upper hand.

Offline lookout

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2017, 09:00:PM »
You're such a rebel Lookout  ;D

ALL full of hot air and empty promises.Country's in a mess as is the security.
That's why I don't have anyone knocking on my door,Maggie------they daren't  :)) :)) :)) :))
I can't get any party to agree with me and I never got a straight answer.
I keep telling them about the very obvious division between North and South and that we up here remain to be the poor relations.

New Ferry on the Wirral here was rocked by an explosion a few weeks ago and people's homes,businesses were destroyed. People were also injured and a young man remains in hospital after having had half his skull blown off.
Nothing has been done ! It was established a couple of weeks ago that it was a crime scene ( insurance job )
When London was blown up a few months back,everything was sorted in no time-------it had to be, for the blooming tourism ! All about money-grabbing. 
It doesn't matter here that folk have lost their homes-------scandalous !

Where were the flurries of MP's when this happened ? Sorry,but they ALL make me sick ! They're alright Jack,but there are millions who aren't !!
The division gets ever bigger.

Offline gringo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2017, 09:02:PM »
    If only more MP's were as honest, Justice.
     Hope you're wrong about Hilary coming out from the woodwork, though I suspect you are correct.

Offline susan

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2017, 09:08:PM »

That's why I don't have anyone knocking on my door,Maggie------they daren't  :)) :)) :)) :))
I keep telling them about the very obvious division between North and South and that we up here remain to be the poor relations.

New Ferry on the Wirral here was rocked by an explosion a few weeks ago and people's homes,businesses

were destroyed. People were also injured and a young man remains in hospital after having had half his skull blown off.
Nothing has been done ! It was established a couple of weeks ago that it was a crime scene ( insurance job )
When London was blown up a few months back,everything was sorted in no time-------it had to be, for the blooming tourism ! All about money-grabbing. 

Where were the flurries of MP's when this happened ? Sorry,but they ALL make me sick ! They're alright Jack,but there are millions who aren't !!

Hi lookout
I must remember not to knock on your door when I am out trying to drum up support for the Tory Party maybe I will miss your area altogether incase you are out and about :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline lookout

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 09:12:PM »
Hi lookout
I must remember not to knock on your door when I am out trying to drum up support for the Tory Party maybe I will miss your area altogether incase you are out and about :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Hahahaha,Susan,they don't half get short shrift from me. I'm waiting to pin down Angela Eagle if she knocks.

Offline gringo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:PM »
I have seen too much bullying behind the scenes when deselection and intolernce get the upper hand.
   I agree with you largely, Maggie. As you say the Labour Party has to be a broad church. My point regarding Hilary Benn having no place in the party remains though. He has been influential and instrumental in the attempts at undermining Corbyn and along with a few others have been working contrary to the Labour Party's interests for the past two years.
     There is always much room for disagreements, but Benn and his co plotters seem to be in the wrong party. They should be honest and join the Lib Dems  who seem more in alignment with their values. 

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2017, 09:16:PM »

New Ferry on the Wirral here was rocked by an explosion a few weeks ago and people's homes,businesses were destroyed. People were also injured and a young man remains in hospital after having had half his skull blown off.

I certainly agree about the North/South divide but also the SW is pretty downtrodden, mainly minimum wage round here. If you aren't a professional you are stuffed. 

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 09:24:PM »
   I agree with you largely, Maggie. As you say the Labour Party has to be a broad church. My point regarding Hilary Benn having no place in the party remains though. He has been influential and instrumental in the attempts at undermining Corbyn and along with a few others have been working contrary to the Labour Party's interests for the past two years.
     There is always much room for disagreements, but Benn and his co plotters seem to be in the wrong party. They should be honest and join the Lib Dems  who seem more in alignment with their values.
Hilary Benn has a big majority in Leeds Central so it makes no sense for him to leave the party, he may take the seat with him.
I often hear people say his Dad would 'turn in his grave' but I would hope Tony benn would be tolerant enough to accept his son had a right to his own beliefs. :-\