Author Topic: Kitchen telephone  (Read 4420 times)

Online Roch

• Veteran Member
Re: Kitchen telephone
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 02:08:PM »
No it isn't, as Justice just said, if you go into a public toilet and it's filthy, you wouldn't use the toilet on the assumption that it will be filthy too. However, to make the leap from the phone being dirty to the dirt being blood is just more conspiracy nonsense.

I'm sorry but this is just baloney.  For one, it's not a public toilet - it's a kitchen and a crime scene.  Police are present, assessing the situation (in the context of four murders and one suicide).  It has nothing to do with Justice making a snap judgement about whether or not he would use a particular toilet.  Secondly, a telephone isn't a toilet.
"She was on a mission - a date with death, in league with the devil..." 

(Mike Tesko 2012)

Offline justice

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 02:24:PM »
I'm sorry but this is just baloney.  For one, it's not a public toilet - it's a kitchen and a crime scene.  Police are present, assessing the situation (in the context of four murders and one suicide).  It has nothing to do with Justice making a snap judgement about whether or not he would use a particular toilet.  Secondly, a telephone isn't a toilet.
Roch, all that was used was an example of how we read things, it was no snap judgement but a similar phrasing, it's always better when you read the real Mcoy, you might be right what your saying but it can be read differently and I want to see the transcript for myself.
Envy kills,” the Pope said. “It does not tolerate others having something that I do not have. And it always suffers, because the heart of an envious or jealous person suffers. It is a suffering heart!” It is a suffering that desires “the death of others

Offline Hartley.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 02:25:PM »
6 August 2002 Stokenchurch investigation. Room 101 Trenchard House. DS 21 Stanley Jones speaking to DCI Jeannette McDiarmid about the kitchen telephone.

Jones) “I can’t even see anybody using the phone in that kitchen, the state of it, do you know what I mean. There’s no way I want to use that phone”

Every known photograph of the ivory coloured kitchen phone, including those on this website, shows the phone in pristine condition. What could Jones have meant by "the state of it"? Blood all over it?

Where is this actually taken from?

Offline Hartley.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 02:32:PM »

Context is king.

For all we know they are discussing a pay phone in the police canteen.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 03:18:PM »

As is the assumption that this statement means he was referring to blood “I can’t even see anybody using the phone in that kitchen, the state of it, do you know what I mean. There’s no way I want to use that phone”

I used an analogy as did Justice, it doesn't have to be a toilet - if a house is dirty, I would use the phone either.
100% - No doubts!

Offline Caroline

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 03:19:PM »
Context is king.

For all we know they are discussing a pay phone in the police canteen.

Good point! I wish people would post references when they make claims.
100% - No doubts!

Offline Hartley.

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:PM »

Trenchard House was basic Metropolitan police accommodation. The building stopped being used in 1999, was sold off in 2004 and converted by 2016 by Barratts in to plush apartments.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/5856698546

Seems to be awfully quiet on the source of the quote, but could it be that the phone in the communal kitchen of Trenchard house was the subject of discussion reminiscing the past?  :-\ 

Online Roch

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 03:33:PM »
It's funny how sources of quotes takes on an importance when it suits. I remember the allegation document from about six or seven years ago. It was extensively referenced. A fact which Hartley remained very aloof about. You cant have it both ways.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:34:PM by Roch »

(Mike Tesko 2012)

Offline Caroline

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 03:42:PM »
It's funny how sources of quotes takes on an importance when it suits. I remember the allegation document from about six or seven years ago. It was extensively referenced. A fact which Hartley remained very aloof about. You cant have it both ways.

When it suits? If I make a claim, I reference it. Anyone can claim anything if they don't reference it or take something out of context - and it happens - frequently here. Perhaps Hartley just didn't think it was important enough to comment? It is certainly a stretch of the imagination to go from someone saying they wouldn't use a particular phone, to suggesting it was because it was covered in blood.
100% - No doubts!

Offline Jane J

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 03:53:PM »
6 August 2002 Stokenchurch investigation. Room 101 Trenchard House. DS 21 Stanley Jones speaking to DCI Jeannette McDiarmid about the kitchen telephone.

Jones) “I can’t even see anybody using the phone in that kitchen, the state of it, do you know what I mean. There’s no way I want to use that phone”

Every known photograph of the ivory coloured kitchen phone, including those on this website, shows the phone in pristine condition. What could Jones have meant by "the state of it"? Blood all over it?

It sounds as if he was referring to the state of the kitchen. If i was hearing him say it, I'd expect to hear ".......................THAT kitchen, the state of it................" meaning the kitchen was an unhygienic tip.

Online Roch

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 04:38:PM »
Roch, all that was used was an example of how we read things, it was no snap judgement but a similar phrasing, it's always better when you read the real Mcoy, you might be right what your saying but it can be read differently and I want to see the transcript for myself.

Yes, I am aware that Caroline was speaking metaphorically.  However, if police were already physically in the kitchen, the analogy Caroline provided doesn't work for me.

(Mike Tesko 2012)

Offline justice

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 06:08:PM »

He seems to enforce the word "THAT kitchen" to me meaning, the kitchen is a mess, if it was just the phone it would have been said "I can't even see anybody using the kitchen phone" the state of it?
Envy kills,” the Pope said. “It does not tolerate others having something that I do not have. And it always suffers, because the heart of an envious or jealous person suffers. It is a suffering heart!” It is a suffering that desires “the death of others

Offline Hartley.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 06:36:PM »

He seems to enforce the word "THAT kitchen" to me meaning, the kitchen is a mess, if it was just the phone it would have been said "I can't even see anybody using the kitchen phone" the state of it?

Also to say:

"There’s no way I want to use that phone"

Suggests he wants to use a phone. Which is a bit odd.  :-\

Offline justice

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 06:44:PM »
Also to say:

"There’s no way I want to use that phone"

Suggests he wants to use a phone. Which is a bit odd.  :-\
Its like you say, until you see the full context you can read different ways into it?

Offline lookout

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 08:34:PM »
What was it that Gandhi once said ? " It's easy to stand with the crowd.It takes courage to stand alone "