Author Topic: Peter Falconio murder case---2001  (Read 2963 times)

Offline lookout

Peter Falconio murder case---2001
« on: March 28, 2017, 01:32:PM »
 It's believed that Bradley Murdoch,who'd been sentenced in 2004 to life for murdering British backpacker Peter Falconia, in the Australian Outback, is innocent according to an ex-lawyer who's studied the case for years. This is the same lawyer who'd stated that Lindy Chamberlain was also innocent.

Andrew Fraser,the former criminal lawyer said there " holes after holes " in Joanne Lees story of what happened on the night of the murder.
 A Professor,an expert in DNA also expressed his concern that the wrong man is in prison and had never been comfortable with the way the case had progressed.

I admit that I'd been interested in the case and wondered about a lot of things with it,but like with a lot,or most other cases,once the  "culprit" has been charged and locked up you tend not to think about it any more,telling yourself that police/jury had done the right thing---------------but not always,it seems !

Anyone reading about the case will see the " gaping holes " in the story that Lees,the ex-girlfriend of the deceased,that have emerged. It's an interesting case.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
Re: Peter Falconio murder case---2001
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:39:PM »
Always puzzled me this one. Was never sure what to make of the surviving victim.

Offline lookout

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 02:17:PM »
 It's one of those cases which easily springs to mind because of so many unanswered questions and one which I'd been absorbed in when it first happened.
Having not long come back from Australia myself at that time,it held my interest as these outback areas aren't often frequented by backpackers particularly at night. The only travellers along these routes are the " road trains " going from town to town or into the next state.

Joanne Lees had been the only witness to a " shooting ",but no blood or flesh from any wound was found and not a body in sight to this day.
Joanne visited Australia not long ago,first time since Peter had vanished last seen getting into the back of the campervan ( that being the case he couldn't have been dead at the time )
Joanne then flagged down a truck as it got daylight.

It's so black in the outback you'd be hard-pushed to see anyone's face. No street lights,nothing.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:20:PM »
Always puzzled me this one. Was never sure what to make of the surviving victim.
I agree Roch think she was believed to have been guilty by many until proven innocent but her story didn't seem to ring true for all that.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:24:PM »
It's one of those cases which easily springs to mind because of so many unanswered questions and one which I'd been absorbed in when it first happened.
Having not long come back from Australia myself at that time,it held my interest as these outback areas aren't often frequented by backpackers particularly at night. The only travellers along these routes are the " road trains " going from town to town or into the next state.

Joanne Lees had been the only witness to a " shooting ",but no blood or flesh from any wound was found and not a body in sight to this day.
Joanne visited Australia not long ago,first time since Peter had vanished last seen getting into the back of the campervan ( that being the case he couldn't have been dead at the time )
Joanne then flagged down a truck as it got daylight.

It's so black in the outback you'd be hard-pushed to see anyone's face. No street lights,nothing.
I think I will go and read up about it and refresh my memory, Lookout. It was certainly a strange case and she seemed convincing at the time.

Offline lookout

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:29:PM »
Oh Lord,even the criminal lawyer has got a criminal record. In 2001 he'd been sentenced to 7 years in a Correction Centre for dealing with the importation of a commercial quantity of cocaine.
He was released after 5 years after agreeing to give evidence against a serial killer.He applied for a share of the 1 million dollar reward for solving the murder.
This man had been the scourge of cops and criminals alike and as a defence lawyer was branded " machine-gun mouth ". Sort of makes our lot quite tame in comparison.

However,Andrew Fraser is confident that " fresh evidence " will lead to a re-trial in the Falconio case.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:01:PM by lookout »

Offline notsure

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 08:44:PM »
Hi lookout, Peter falcon is blood was found, there was a big pool of it. Low copy DNA of an unknown male was found on her t shirt and in the camper van the ties that she was handcuffed with were of a home made type and DNA was also found on these.

I admit she was a very strange girl a bit like amanda knox but im pretty sure she is innocent.

having said all that I don't know if the man locked up is guilty. My gut instinct is that he's guilty but then I haven't seen the evidence of these holes.

Offline lookout

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 12:13:PM »
Hi notsure,although I don't believe that Joanne Lees had any part in Peter's " disappearance ",I say disappearance because his body was never found,but what I'm hearing is that she'd been " groomed " on how to give evidence for the prosecution because she'd been their main witness. When you hear of things like this,your suspicions are immediately aroused. Joanne would have felt/been in the same position as JM at the time.
This manipulation by the law is unforgivable,made towards frightened and vulnerable young women already under tremendous stress and who are only too ready to assist those who " they look up to ".

Offline lookout

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 01:33:PM »
As per how laws seem to stand even in Australia,Joanne had been the main/ prime suspect after police had interrogated her for over three hours,which had already left her tormented. She had questioned police as to why they should be wasting their time on her rather than look for her boyfriend and at this point she'd got furious that she'd been the focus and to stop looking to her but instead to look for the kidnapper.
Everyone then started to point a finger at Joanne stating her lack of emotion after what had appeared to have been a brutal killing. Until it had been revealed that she'd taken valium to calm her.
Murdoch could never say where Peter's body was as " he was never there ".

Initially,DNA tests were done on Murdoch,by a " top forensic expert " from the UK. These tests proved unsafe because of contamination,so now another forensic expert has stepped in which could lead to an appeal. No flesh/bone or projectile was found at the scene to indicate that a firearm had been used.

Joanne had been back to Darwin early this year to " bring her boyfriend home ",but no sign of a body made that part of her journey difficult.
Some believe that Peter is still alive and that Joanne is complicit to whatever went on.

I must say that this case does remain a mystery and if Andrew Fraser can solve this one then good luck to him.
Murdoch could be innocent and know it,awaiting a payout ? It seems he has nothing to lose by doing so. Though if he's been framed, the police there will certainly get a good " seeing to " from Fraser.

Offline lookout

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 01:41:PM »
As this case is now on-going,I must say that I'll be looking forward to seeing the work of Andrew Fraser,the Northern Territory's top defence lawyer.
More interesting than the Bamber case as the Aussies don't waste time in getting things moving.!

It would be interesting to hear what Fraser's thoughts would be on the Bamber case. 

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:53:PM »
As per how laws seem to stand even in Australia,Joanne had been the main/ prime suspect after police had interrogated her for over three hours,which had already left her tormented. She had questioned police as to why they should be wasting their time on her rather than look for her boyfriend and at this point she'd got furious that she'd been the focus and to stop looking to her but instead to look for the kidnapper.
Everyone then started to point a finger at Joanne stating her lack of emotion after what had appeared to have been a brutal killing. Until it had been revealed that she'd taken valium to calm her.
Murdoch could never say where Peter's body was as " he was never there ".

Initially,DNA tests were done on Murdoch,by a " top forensic expert " from the UK. These tests proved unsafe because of contamination,so now another forensic expert has stepped in which could lead to an appeal. No flesh/bone or projectile was found at the scene to indicate that a firearm had been used.

Joanne had been back to Darwin early this year to " bring her boyfriend home ",but no sign of a body made that part of her journey difficult.
Some believe that Peter is still alive and that Joanne is complicit to whatever went on.

I must say that this case does remain a mystery and if Andrew Fraser can solve this one then good luck to him.
Murdoch could be innocent and know it,awaiting a payout ? It seems he has nothing to lose by doing so. Though if he's been framed, the police there will certainly get a good " seeing to " from Fraser.

Thanks for that Lookout, it is fascinating, look forward to hearing more about it.

Offline lookout

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 02:19:PM »
Thanks for that Lookout, it is fascinating, look forward to hearing more about it.

Me too Maggie. I'm keeping a close watch on it.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 10:44:PM »
I'm not altogether convinced there has been a miscarriage of justice. Bradley Murdoch had a vehicle in which to transport the body and time to dispose of it.   https://youtu.be/PKWVpzoYzRk
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:46:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline Samson

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 03:09:AM »
It's believed that Bradley Murdoch,who'd been sentenced in 2004 to life for murdering British backpacker Peter Falconia, in the Australian Outback, is innocent according to an ex-lawyer who's studied the case for years. This is the same lawyer who'd stated that Lindy Chamberlain was also innocent.

Andrew Fraser,the former criminal lawyer said there " holes after holes " in Joanne Lees story of what happened on the night of the murder.
 A Professor,an expert in DNA also expressed his concern that the wrong man is in prison and had never been comfortable with the way the case had progressed.

I admit that I'd been interested in the case and wondered about a lot of things with it,but like with a lot,or most other cases,once the  "culprit" has been charged and locked up you tend not to think about it any more,telling yourself that police/jury had done the right thing---------------but not always,it seems !

Anyone reading about the case will see the " gaping holes " in the story that Lees,the ex-girlfriend of the deceased,that have emerged. It's an interesting case.
Steve Braunias covered the case in

The Scene of the Crime

Available on Kindle.
This is a well written book looking at different cases, with the Mark Lundy hoax (as obscene as Jeremy Bamber) covered in half the book.
He also covers some of the Rolf Harris trial and that is worth reading

Charlie Wilkes (Jim Lovering) of Amanda Knox fame, recently wrote

"Thanks for this update. It actually sounds like some people are coming to their senses.
Twenty years from now people will look back on this and wonder how it ever could have happened."

Charlie is convinced Rolf Harris did none of those things. 
I am not sure on that one.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 07:39:PM »
Steve Braunias covered the case in

The Scene of the Crime

Available on Kindle.
This is a well written book looking at different cases, with the Mark Lundy hoax (as obscene as Jeremy Bamber) covered in half the book.
He also covers some of the Rolf Harris trial and that is worth reading

Charlie Wilkes (Jim Lovering) of Amanda Knox fame, recently wrote

"Thanks for this update. It actually sounds like some people are coming to their senses.
Twenty years from now people will look back on this and wonder how it ever could have happened."

Charlie is convinced Rolf Harris did none of those things. 
I am not sure on that one.

Charlie seems to believe everyone is innocent.
Few people have the imagination for reality