Author Topic: Susan May: innocent or guilty?  (Read 358 times)

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
Susan May: innocent or guilty?
« on: February 05, 2017, 06:12:PM »
This is a sad case of the alleged murder of 89-year-old Hilda Marchbank in her home in Royton, Lancashire by her niece and carer Susan May, who was 48 at the time. The Prosecution case was that Mrs. May had attacked her aunt in cold blood in bed at around 9:00pm on the 11 March 1992, then smothered her with a pillow, afterwards feeling her way across the dark bedroom wall leaving a bloodied fingerprint and partial handprint, raising the alarm herself at 9:30am the following morning. Two more indicators of her guilt were firstly a remark about scratches on the victim's face to DS Rimmer at the Police station, when this information had not been publicly released, and a lie she admitted to giving to Police denying a longstanding relationship she had with her boyfriend of the time, Michael Ross. It's also alleged that Mrs. May's sister, who was an alcoholic had made allegations that she was spending her aunt's money on her boyfriend and had £7000 of credit card debts, motive to wish the death of Mrs. Marchbank to inherit half her estate.

The above facts were enough to convict Susan May of murder at Manchester Crown Court on 5 May 1993 and she served the 12- year tariff never admitting her guilt. She had dozens of locals prepared to stand by her, including the local MP, the late Michael Meacher, who declared the conviction unsafe.

Susan May died on 7 November 2013 before she had a chance to clear her name. Much of the evidence garnered against her at trial has since been discredited or at least left room for doubt over her conviction.

https://youtu.be/F6fiGC88deA
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 08:39:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline notsure

Re: Susan May: innocent or guilty?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:46:PM »
100% innocent imo.

another sad case where police got the wrong person.

I think it was proven that it wasn't susans fingerprints in the end.

absolute disgrace , there was a red car that was suspicious. Why do the police continue to look at these cases with such tunnelvision. They made there minds up it was her and went ahead with getting her convicted never looking at any other possibilities. This woman cared for her aunt on a daily basis, hadn't spent any of her money and did not kill her imo.

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:48:PM »
100% innocent imo.

absolute disgrace , there was a red car that was suspicious. Why do the police continue to look at these cases with such tunnelvision. They made there minds up it was her and went ahead with getting her convicted never looking at any other possibilities. This woman cared for her aunt on a daily basis, hadn't spent any of her money and did not kill her imo.
There's more about the red car here:  https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/may/07/susan-may-murder-clues-hilda-marchbank
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:48:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline lookout

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:52:PM »
I thought the " bloodied handprint " wasn't blood at all ?. Wasn't it re-tested ? So much evidence had come to light that,again,the jury weren't made aware of------------sounds familiar.

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:00:PM »
I thought the " bloodied handprint " wasn't blood at all ?. Wasn't it re-tested ? So much evidence had come to light that,again,the jury weren't made aware of------------sounds familiar.
I think they said it might have been sweat lookout. The sad fact is she did herself no favours by claiming she had a mental blank that morning when she could have said she touched her face thus making the marks on the wall. Anybody who didn't know her might well have jumped to the conclusion she was involved in her aunt's death, especially when she was at the scene of the crime on the night and again in the morning. I do find it suspicious that she said her aunt had waved her off, when at 89 she's far more likely just to have said goodbye from her bed. However had Susan May been involved I don't think she would have attacked her so violently; far more likely she would just have been able to smother her quietly with a pillow with little resistance from her victim.

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:02:PM »

Offline lookout

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 07:20:PM »
I think they said it might have been sweat lookout. The sad fact is she did herself no favours by claiming she had a mental blank that morning when she could have said she touched her face thus making the marks on the wall. Anybody who didn't know her might well have jumped to the conclusion she was involved in her aunt's death, especially when she was at the scene of the crime on the night and again in the morning. I do find it suspicious that she said her aunt had waved her off, when at 89 she's far more likely just to have said goodbye from her bed. However had Susan May been involved I don't think she would have attacked her so violently; far more likely she would just have been able to smother her quietly with a pillow with little resistance from her victim.

I certainly don't believe that May had been violent towards her aunt. Then again,I never believed that the woman was guilty anyway,instead it was made to look that way by someone who knew Susan May. Poor woman died fighting,which upset JB very much as he'd befriended her and must have added his support to her cause too. Very sad.

I do understand that in cases such as this you look no further than those nearest to the deceased,but there's a small percentage where you don't.

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 07:23:PM »

I certainly don't believe that May had been violent towards her aunt. Then again,I never believed that the woman was guilty anyway,instead it was made to look that way by someone who knew Susan May. Poor woman died fighting,which upset JB very much as he'd befriended her and must have added his support to her cause too. Very sad.

I do understand that in cases such as this you look no further than those nearest to the deceased,but there's a small percentage where you don't.
I don't see it either; it seems so out of character. I think her strong will didn't endear her to Police either, but I would have been just the same being badgered by Police had I known I was completely innocent.

Offline gringo

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 07:39:PM »
100% innocent imo.

My sentiments exactly, Notsure. There are far too many cases where it appears that the investigation has been led to fit a case around the suspect rather than establish the truth of what really happened. 

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 08:03:PM »
   My sentiments exactly, Notsure. There are far too many cases where it appears that the investigation has been led to fit a case around the suspect rather than establish the truth of what really happened.
It probably saves money that way as they don't have to embark on expensive forensic research.

Offline lookout

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 08:18:PM »
It probably saves money that way as they don't have to embark on expensive forensic research.

False economy when they make a muck of it that re-investigations have to take place years later costing even more.

Offline notsure

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 08:41:PM »
It's a tragedy isn't it. Is there an appeal ongoing in this case?

honestly it beggars belief , the poor woman died being labelled guilty, I hope her supporters of which I believe she has many get her the justice she deserved in life.

Offline Steve_uk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 09:22:PM »
It's a tragedy isn't it. Is there an appeal ongoing in this case?

honestly it beggars belief , the poor woman died being labelled guilty, I hope her supporters of which I believe she has many get her the justice she deserved in life.
Am I right in saying that the purported remark about scratches on her aunt's face should never have been admitted into evidence as it should have been classified as "verballing" after the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 said all evidence should be tape recorded? On the minus side it does appear that Susan May spent her aunt's money excessively, though that in itself is not proof of guilt.  http://www.insidejusticeuk.com/articles/for-susan-may-no-statute-of-limitations-on-justice/100