Author Topic: Should child criminals be granted anonymity?  (Read 37134 times)

Offline Jane

Re: Should child criminals be granted anonymity?
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2018, 05:12:PM »
I agree that you can't extrapolate from one single country but being overpopulated doesn't help. Life has become inordinately stressful and the bin man is probably doing the work of someone else in addition to his own. Neighbours no longer communicate as they once did. Maybe if politicians had told the indigenous population in the 1960s that they would have to pull together a bit more as they did during World War 2 instead of importing millions of immigrants which brought their own problems in their wake we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Based on the amount of times our small island has been invaded, I'll hazard a guess that very few of us are pure anything, let alone Anglo Saxon. Certainly, by refusing more immigrants, it would enable subsequent governments to persuade into work those who would prefer not to, but I think more effort will need to go into keeping hold of those with good qualifications, rather than allowing them to emigrate to obtain better pay and life style. I clearly recall, whilst I was in college, being shown the large and colourful posters which were sent to various countries inviting them to come here. They showed a beautifully attired black lady, complete with tiara, standing in a modern and sparkling kitchen. There were her two, finely dressed children sitting round a table bearing, probably, more food than they'd see in a month in their own country. All illusion, of course. They ended up in Rachman type properties doing the work that we felt was beneath us. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting we should allow people free rein to come here as they choose without having jobs to go to -it's not allowed in Australia- but if people are willing to come over and contribute, I can't see why we'd wish to prevent it.

Offline Jane

« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2018, 05:20:PM »
Bamber's relatives DID and you have criticised both them and the authorities for allowing it!

Oh! I seeeee! Lookout only agrees to relatives having an input if Lookout agrees that the defendant is guilty. Innocence or guilt comes down to whatever her gut says on that day. One has to pray she doesn't suffer digestive tract problems ;D

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2018, 05:27:PM »
Based on the amount of times our small island has been invaded, I'll hazard a guess that very few of us are pure anything, let alone Anglo Saxon. Certainly, by refusing more immigrants, it would enable subsequent governments to persuade into work those who would prefer not to, but I think more effort will need to go into keeping hold of those with good qualifications, rather than allowing them to emigrate to obtain better pay and life style. I clearly recall, whilst I was in college, being shown the large and colourful posters which were sent to various countries inviting them to come here. They showed a beautifully attired black lady, complete with tiara, standing in a modern and sparkling kitchen. There were her two, finely dressed children sitting round a table bearing, probably, more food than they'd see in a month in their own country. All illusion, of course. They ended up in Rachman type properties doing the work that we felt was beneath us. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting we should allow people free rein to come here as they choose without having jobs to go to -it's not allowed in Australia- but if people are willing to come over and contribute, I can't see why we'd wish to prevent it.
..because the scale has increased exponentially. We just don't have the infrastructure to cope and life is stressful. You only have to look at house prices, class sizes, public transport, I could go on..

Offline Jane

« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2018, 05:38:PM »
..because the scale has increased exponentially. We just don't have the infrastructure to cope and life is stressful. You only have to look at house prices, class sizes, public transport, I could go on..

I hear you, Steve. The problem I've previously encountered -re more doctors. Possibly the same applies in other areas- is that there haven't been enough people in a community to make viable an increase in whatever, but by the time there are enough, the resources are at breaking point.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2018, 12:10:AM »

That's because I believe him to be innocent.

Regardless, you should still support their right to have their say!
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline lookout

« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2018, 10:22:AM »
Regardless, you should still support their right to have their say!

Why should I ? In cases where there is rank corroboration going on,the answer is no ! So many lies spring to mind as well as issues which never come to light.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2019, 12:09:PM »
Once again this issue comes to the fore as the professionals now entrusted with the rehabilitation of the culprit decide on their course of action. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/12/alesha-macphail-father-sold-drugs-accused-trial-scotland

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2019, 01:22:PM »
I agree Jane.  Many of my nearest and dearest are ethnically different to me.  The British Isles is a melting pot and always has been, we are all mongrels.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:25:PM by maggie »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2019, 03:16:PM »
This will set the debate alight in the country. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47330774

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2019, 04:01:PM »

"The killer’s demeanour in court was strikingly composed. While the other young people who took the witness stand to talk about their partying or Snapchat exchanges were palpably nervous, he remained neutral and articulate as he gave evidence for over two hours, refusing the breaks offered to him by the judge."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/21/mother-of-alesha-macphails-killer-led-police-to-his-door
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:03:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2019, 04:10:PM »
I know it's dangerous to generalize but aren't a substantial percentage of young people today overstimulated, oversexualized, with the roots which held previous generations together fast withering away to be replaced by a combination of fantasy and drear reality as they seek to emulate the latest media star or the resources buy the latest gadget which may be in fashion?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:11:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2019, 06:08:PM »
I know it's dangerous to generalize but aren't a substantial percentage of young people today overstimulated, oversexualized, with the roots which held previous generations together fast withering away to be replaced by a combination of fantasy and drear reality as they seek to emulate the latest media star or the resources buy the latest gadget which may be in fashion?
Think that is very unfair on young people, Steve.  The Daily Mail might pontificate like that but I believe young people today are a mixed bunch as they always have been and always will be. .

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2019, 01:10:AM »
There doesn't seem to be any principle involved or accountability, but left to the judge's discretion in each case. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47721177
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:10:AM by Steve_uk »

Offline Steve_uk

Offline lookout

« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2019, 12:18:PM »
The public have a right to know who these individuals are as in most of these type of cases the criminal/s go on to reoffend after they've served their sentence.
This is an horrific case.