Author Topic: Should child criminals be granted anonymity?  (Read 37141 times)

Offline Jane

Re: Should child criminals be granted anonymity?
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2018, 02:40:PM »
The programme also highlighted a similar murder which took place in one of the Nordic countries. The murderers were two 6 year old boys. The whole community mourned, with her parents, the loss of their little girl, but the two small boys -because in their country it's the law that every child must receive the same education- were given ongoing therapy and sent to kindergarten from where they will proceed with the same education as other children. Parents of other children were given assurances that no harm would come to their children. Allegedly, none has. Their crime is never spoken of.

Offline petey

« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2018, 03:21:PM »

Each to their own,eh ?
Why can't I speak up for the victims-----the law certainly doesn't,it's only a job to you and your ilk.

It depends what you think should be given priority. Decisions which are based on emotions, or decisions which are based on the criminal justice system and laws of the land.

I've never been a criminal lawyer btw.

Offline lookout

« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:PM »
It depends what you think should be given priority. Decisions which are based on emotions, or decisions which are based on the criminal justice system and laws of the land.

I've never been a criminal lawyer btw.

The emotions and long-term effects on the victims should be a priority--------but sadly are not. Many poor victims of childhood abuse such as was meted out by two " men " in their so-called professional capacity,one a football coach and the other a physiotherapist whose victims suffered enormously and who will never ever get over their ordeals while the perpetrators will only be thinking of themselves and how they're going to cope being locked-up,with no regard for the lasting damage they've done to their innocent victims who'd trusted these men.

Little James Bulger trusted those two boys to take him home to his mum,but it never happened.

Yes-----emotions matter a lot and consideration for the victims state of health is paramount.
Never mind about the criminals as their health and welfare will be taken care of courtesy of the taxpayers and the do-gooders who make sure that no harm comes to them !! 

Offline Caroline

« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2018, 07:51:PM »
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Caroline

« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2018, 07:54:PM »

The emotions and long-term effects on the victims should be a priority--------but sadly are not. Many poor victims of childhood abuse such as was meted out by two " men " in their so-called professional capacity,one a football coach and the other a physiotherapist whose victims suffered enormously and who will never ever get over their ordeals while the perpetrators will only be thinking of themselves and how they're going to cope being locked-up,with no regard for the lasting damage they've done to their innocent victims who'd trusted these men.

Little James Bulger trusted those two boys to take him home to his mum,but it never happened.

Yes-----emotions matter a lot and consideration for the victims state of health is paramount.
Never mind about the criminals as their health and welfare will be taken care of courtesy of the taxpayers and the do-gooders who make sure that no harm comes to them !!

So the families concerns should be taken into consideration when sentencing and perhaps influence the judgement?

Offline Jane

« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2018, 07:57:PM »
So the families concerns should be taken into consideration when sentencing and perhaps influence the judgement?

Are they not? I thought victim statements could be read out, to the convicted person, prior to sentencing, by the victim.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:PM »
The programme also highlighted a similar murder which took place in one of the Nordic countries. The murderers were two 6 year old boys. The whole community mourned, with her parents, the loss of their little girl, but the two small boys -because in their country it's the law that every child must receive the same education- were given ongoing therapy and sent to kindergarten from where they will proceed with the same education as other children. Parents of other children were given assurances that no harm would come to their children. Allegedly, none has. Their crime is never spoken of.
I understand the Norwegian approach and in many ways it's exemplary. But one of the main differences was that the two boys who killed the girl were six years old, and even in this country they would not have been held legally accountable. Another difference is that it's a far more homogeneous society (or at least it was in 1994) and the wealth is spread more equally. I do feel that child killers should be granted anonymity in all cases. However a problem arises when the same children become adults and show an inclination to continue deviant behaviour. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/679894/Norway-6-year-old-killers-Silje-Redergard-James-Bulger-case-Trondheim

Offline lookout

« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2018, 08:20:PM »

It's what happened in JB's case didn't it ??

Offline Jane

« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2018, 08:27:PM »
I understand the Norwegian approach and in many ways it's exemplary. But one of the main differences was that the two boys who killed the girl were six years old, and even in this country they would not have been held legally accountable. Another difference is that it's a far more homogeneous society (or at least it was in 1994) and the wealth is spread more equally. I do feel that child killers should be granted anonymity in all cases. However a problem arises when the same children become adults and show an inclination to continue deviant behaviour. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/679894/Norway-6-year-old-killers-Silje-Redergard-James-Bulger-case-Trondheim

Steve, I keep hearing that "At their age, they were old enough to know right from wrong" Whilst this may be true, it doesn't mean that they fully understood the consequences of their actions, compared, say, with the violence of the video's they watched.  Sadly, I believe it was probably always too late to rehabilitate Venebles, but unlike posters who seem to be awaiting the time when Thomson reverts to the type they've painted him as being, I think he deserves a second chance.

guest154

« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2018, 08:44:PM »
Are they not? I thought victim statements could be read out, to the convicted person, prior to sentencing, by the victim.

I think Caroline was pointing out the hypocrisy.  ;D

Offline Jane

« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2018, 08:51:PM »

Yes Mat. I did see the irony....................eventually ;D

guest154

« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2018, 08:51:PM »

Yes Mat. I did see the irony....................eventually ;D

I had complete faith!  ;D

Offline Jane

« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2018, 08:56:PM »

Offline Caroline

« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2018, 10:35:PM »

It's what happened in JB's case didn't it ??

Yes, and you have condemned it.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2018, 10:37:PM »

Well, there certainly seems to be some conflict of opinion  ;D ;D