Author Topic: Should child criminals be granted anonymity?  (Read 37138 times)

Offline Steve_uk

Re: Should child criminals be granted anonymity?
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2017, 02:17:PM »
What are the priorities of people and families today ?
I remember discipline in the home, boundaries you knew you mustn't transgress. We saved up for things over weeks, not put them on a credit card. I think parents are just too tired today after the stress of work to do their job at home, if that's their real parents that is and not stepdad, hands tied by the liberal Establishment.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 02:21:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline Jane

« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2017, 02:43:PM »

With all the horrendous crimes that are about now,I just fear for the future and the futures of my and others, great/grandchildren.

You would have thought that during my time of growing up with so little money that crime would have been at its highest ? But no,there's more money now than there's ever been and crime is higher than it's ever been ? Why is that and what's the answer ? Where is all this money going ?

It might be that after a time of austerity, parents feel free to bestow on their children, all those 'needful' things they missed out on. Perhaps they were encouraged by the politician who told them "We have never had it so good". However it happened, it appears that we all became accustomed to having more, to the point at which some believed it was their entitlement to have more. They would have passed this 'ethic' onto their children. Patterns repeat. These patterns appear to have influenced us politically. There are some who believe the state has a right to fund them -there will always be those who need that sort of support- and whilst I HATE the growing divide between the haves and the have nots, I accept that it's a given that we will NEVER all be equal, yet it appalls me that there are those who will go on producing children and indoctrinating them with the belief that they're entitled to the same as 'everyone' else. What they seem NOT to indoctrinate them with is the need both to work for it and live within their means.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2017, 03:35:PM »
I think as Lookout has stated these dreadful crimes are not the result of the abject poverty many faced in the 1930s, the days before the Welfare State when families had to pull together. The fact that the State gives handouts now, derisory as they are in many cases, has not alleviated the levels of crime as young people compare themselves to their peers and not their forbears.

Offline Jane

« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2017, 04:01:PM »
I think as Lookout has stated these dreadful crimes are not the result of the abject poverty many faced in the 1930s, the days before the Welfare State when families had to pull together. The fact that the State gives handouts now, derisory as they are in many cases, has not alleviated the levels of crime as young people compare themselves to their peers and not their forbears.

That's right, Steve. You appear to be talking about a lack of self worth. Sadly, cyclical.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2017, 04:15:PM »
A pre-planned crime makes it all the more heinous. A boy who wished to prove himself to the female gender, a girl who had been put into care which alienated her from her mother, combined forces on social media and united in one diabolical cause.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/spalding-murders-judge-names-teenage-sweathearts-killed-mother/

Offline Jane

« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2017, 04:38:PM »
A pre-planned crime makes it all the more heinous. A boy who wished to prove himself to the female gender, a girl who had been put into care which alienated her from her mother, combined forces on social media and united in one diabolical cause.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/spalding-murders-judge-names-teenage-sweathearts-killed-mother/

It certainly does, but there's always a reason. Nothing happens in isolation. These two were the perfect storm.

Offline lookout

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2017, 05:13:PM »
Times are so different now,as I didn't even have a boyfriend at 14/15. I can't even remember being interested. Neither can I imagine that either parent would have exactly made him welcome. Far from it,my father would have chased him.
Perhaps because we were lucky enough to have had a very long garden,we didn't feel the need to bother with the outside world. The surrounding neighbours who we all grew up with were company enough as we all stuck together,playing outside games,going fishing for tiddlers/sticklebacks and earning pocket-money at the farm,pea-picking and fruit-picking.
Those neighbours and myself exchange Christmas cards every year. 

I'm not the only one who hates these times that we live in. It's as though it's a different world altogether.
If we,as kids years ago heard about a murder anywhere,we'd be petrified and always thought of " bad men " around. Nowadays,children are immune to the news of murderers as it's become an everyday thing and not only centred at " bad men ". Society is sad and sick. There's no deterrent.

Offline Jane

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2017, 05:54:PM »
Times are so different now,as I didn't even have a boyfriend at 14/15. I can't even remember being interested. Neither can I imagine that either parent would have exactly made him welcome. Far from it,my father would have chased him.
Perhaps because we were lucky enough to have had a very long garden,we didn't feel the need to bother with the outside world. The surrounding neighbours who we all grew up with were company enough as we all stuck together,playing outside games,going fishing for tiddlers/sticklebacks and earning pocket-money at the farm,pea-picking and fruit-picking.
Those neighbours and myself exchange Christmas cards every year. 

I'm not the only one who hates these times that we live in. It's as though it's a different world altogether.
If we,as kids years ago heard about a murder anywhere,we'd be petrified and always thought of " bad men " around. Nowadays,children are immune to the news of murderers as it's become an everyday thing and not only centred at " bad men ". Society is sad and sick. There's no deterrent.

I feel certain that EVERY generation believes that "times are so different now". My mother said her parents wouldn't have approved. My mother, in her day, didn't approve. I accept that things have changed and not necessarily for the better, but I also acknowledge that those who are young now have nothing to compare it with. For them, it's the norm. Our words mean nothing to them.

I don't recall the same childhood you experienced. The neighbours I knew died years ago and I've lost touch with those who haven't. I didn't know any boys -save male cousins- at 14/15. At an all girls boarding school, the only men in our lives were the pop stars of the day. We were embarrassingly naive. I picked neither peas nor fruit. Not because we were grand -even if my mother thought we were a cut above!!!- it simply wasn't allowed. Probably something to do with those "bad" men I was warned about!

It IS a different world today from how it was  in which EVER "then" we care to mention. Thanks to television/24/7 news/social media we're now all acutely aware of what goes on and we've become sanitized. It really doesn't matter if we don't like it. We will eventually age and die. The younger generation won't know any different until they, too, become old enough to recognize that "times are so different now". By which time, for them, like we who are saying it now, it will be too late.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2017, 08:49:PM »
It seems that the judicial system has an unwritten rule that children of 10 and 11 can be granted anonymity whereas a youth of 14 who may be equally immature is named and shamed. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsliverpool/teen-who-beat-rough-sleeper-to-death-behind-walton-iceland-asks-for-jail-term-cut/ar-BBHsboh?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

Offline Jane

« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2017, 09:16:PM »
It seems that the judicial system has an unwritten rule that children of 10 and 11 can be granted anonymity whereas a youth of 14 who may be equally immature is named and shamed. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsliverpool/teen-who-beat-rough-sleeper-to-death-behind-walton-iceland-asks-for-jail-term-cut/ar-BBHsboh?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

Sadly, Steve, the rules/laws aren't made in a way which allows for flexibility.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2017, 09:51:PM »
Sadly, Steve, the rules/laws aren't made in a way which allows for flexibility.
Maybe someone with a legal bent could explain the difference between the Edlington attacks and the Walton murder, and why in one case the defendants get a chance to rebuild their lives, whilst the other will have to look over his shoulder for the rest of his.

Offline Jane

« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2017, 09:56:PM »
Maybe someone with a legal bent could explain the difference between the Edlington attacks and the Walton murder, and why in one case the defendants get a chance to rebuild their lives, whilst the other will have to look over his shoulder for the rest of his.

Hmm. Sometimes it's easier to hide behind "That's how the law works" It's always SO much easier to stick to the letter of the law. It can be a convenient way of absolving responsibility. After all, until parliament decrees otherwise, laws are as they currently stand.

Offline lookout

« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:PM »
Denise is on ITV tonight at 9pm telling her story. The whole thing is heartbreaking and sad to say,it affects me greatly. More so when I think of the way that little boy died as it was never published. My reason for knowing this was through a policeman's wife who worked at the same hospital as myself at the time.

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2018, 12:03:AM »
Did it associate his last moments alive with one of the killers in particular?