Author Topic: Should child criminals be granted anonymity?  (Read 16043 times)

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
    • Trial related photographs
Re: Should child criminals be granted anonymity?
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2020, 06:03:PM »
The public have a right to know who they're living next door to or who prospective neighbours will be, so yes, these monsters should be named.
100 per cent agree Lookout, there are ways of finding this out Lookout through the Police if you’re concerned, the danger is, if you tell anyone else about your neighbours past (if they have one) especially after being informed,  you then would more than likely be charged with an offence yourself.  I’m talking more about Sex offenders here though Lookout, I would imagine it might be the same in most cases?

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2020, 06:34:PM »
100 per cent agree Lookout, there are ways of finding this out Lookout through the Police if you’re concerned, the danger is, if you tell anyone else about your neighbours past (if they have one) especially after being informed,  you then would more than likely be charged with an offence yourself.  I’m talking more about Sex offenders here though Lookout, I would imagine it might be the same in most cases?
There was a sexual element to the Edlington Two, who retained anonymity for some reason. I'm still not sure why some judges allow the names out and others err on the side of caution. I suppose if you're going back to a huge housing estate in Wythenshawe (or in their case Sheffield) there's always the risk of vigilantism.

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
    • Trial related photographs
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2020, 06:47:PM »
There was a sexual element to the Edlington Two, who retained anonymity for some reason. I'm still not sure why some judges allow the names out and others err on the side of caution. I suppose if you're going back to a huge housing estate in Wythenshawe (or in their case Sheffield) there's always the risk of vigilantism.
Its sometimes and most likely to protect victims Steve, especially in sexual assault cases

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2020, 06:49:PM »
Its sometimes and most likely to protect victims Steve, especially in sexual assault cases
Yes that's a good point Real justice. Quite often we focus too much on rehabilitation of the offender and forget the victims of their most heinous crimes.