Author Topic: Setting the record straight - B Wing HMP Full Sutton, 1989 to July 1990...  (Read 7817 times)

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
So many false rumours have been circulating regarding where I first came into contact with Jeremy in prison. The truth of the matter is that this occurred in March 1989, and lasted until the end of July 1990. We were both inmates at HMP Full Sutton, on B Wing. At that stage there were only four wings at Full Sutton, A, B, C and D. Each wing had 100 individual cells, but due to the fact that Full Sutton was a newly built facility, there were originally only two hand fulls of prisoners incarcerated on each of these four wings. This was because the authorities needed a skeleton inmate presence to help get the facility up and running. In the early days most of us were assigned cleaning duties, on the wing, and education centre, or we worked in the kitchens preparing the meals, and some other inmates worked behind the server dishing the food out. A couple of years later, two more wings were added to the original four of A, B, C, D, which became known as E and F wing. One or other or both of these new wings I think became known as protection wings where vulnerable prisoners were kept out of harm's way. I was never incarcerated in either of these latter wings. I served time twice at HMP Full Sutton, the first occasion I was on B Wing, and the second time on D wing. Any rumours that I had been kept on a sex offenders wing is plainly false. Jeremy Bamber was not the only Category A prisoner on B Wing when I was in custody with him, almost everybody incarcerated there were also Category A prisoner, but others like myself were Category B prisoners. In the main, most prisoners in there at that time on our wing, and the other three wings, were lifers, or people serving lengthy terms of imprisonment 15 years and upwards. A few inmates like myself and a handful of others were currently serving sentences 8 years, 10 years, and 12 years. We had been sent to Full Sutton because we were considered to be incorrigible Career Criminals, with no prospect of rehabilitation. Some people have suggested that somebody like me could never have been in the same prison as someone like Jeremy, let alone be on the same wing as him. But I was, and others like me, were. After the first six months or so, the wing population started to increase with incoming fresh recruits toward it's full capacity, and workshops, and the new education facilities opened, which paved the way for me to come into contact with Jeremy and other high profile prisoners of the IRA and UDA who were housed on the other three wings (A, C, and D). Jeremy, and some of the convicted terrorists enrolled on a business Studies Course, whilst I studied Economics, Sociology, philosophy and English Literature, English Speaking, and Cookery classes.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:53:AM by mike tesko »
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive"...

Offline Caroline

So many false rumours have been circulating regarding where I first came into contact with Jeremy in prison. The truth of the matter is that this occurred in March 1989, and lasted until the end of July 1990. We were both inmates at HMP Full Sutton, on B Wing. At that stage there were only four wings at Full Sutton, A, B, C and D. Each wing had 100 individual cells, but due to the fact that Full Sutton was a newly built facility, there were originally only two hand fulls of prisoners incarcerated on each of these four wings. This was because the authorities needed a skeleton inmate presence to help get the facility up and running. In the early days most of us were assigned cleaning duties, on the wing, and education centre, or we worked in the kitchens preparing the meals, and some other inmates worked behind the server dishing the food out. A couple of years later, two more wings were added to the original four of A, B, C, D, which became known as E and F wing. One or other or both of these new wings I think became known as protection wings where vulnerable prisoners were kept out of harm's way. I was never incarcerated in either of these latter wings. I served time twice at HMP Full Sutton, the first occasion I was on B Wing, and the second time on D wing. Any rumours that I had been kept on a sex offenders wing is plainly false. Jeremy Bamber was not the only Category A prisoner on B Wing when I was in custody with him, almost everybody incarcerated there were also Category A prisoner, but others like myself were Category B prisoners. In the main, most prisoners in there at that time on our wing, and the other three wings, were lifers, or people serving lengthy terms of imprisonment 15 years and upwards. A few inmates like myself and a handful of others were currently serving sentences 8 years, 10 years, and 12 years. We had been sent to Full Sutton because we were considered to be incorrigible Career Criminals, with no prospect of rehabilitation. Some people have suggested that somebody like me could never have been in the same prison as someone like Jeremy, let alone be on the same wing as him. But I was, and others like me, were. After the first six months or so, the wing population started to increase with incoming fresh recruits toward it's full capacity, and workshops, and the new education facilities opened, which paved the way for me to come into contact with Jeremy and other high profile prisoners of the IRA and UDA who were housed on the other three wings (A, C, and D). Jeremy, and some of the convicted terrorists enrolled on a business Studies Course, whilst I studied Economics, Sociology, philosophy and English Literature, English Speaking, and Cookery classes.

I know that Cat A and B prisoners are mixed. A friend of mine is a prison officer at Frankland and they are mixed there and in Durham. Always have been. Not sure if it's true of evey HS prison but it does happen. Jeremy has mentioned being in prison with you (or certainly given that impression) in the letters you have posted so there is no doubt that it's true. If it weren't true, I'm sure he'd have indicated that by now.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
I know that Cat A and B prisoners are mixed. A friend of mine is a prison officer at Frankland and they are mixed there and in Durham. Always have been. Not sure if it's true of evey HS prison but it does happen. Jeremy has mentioned being in prison with you (or certainly given that impression) in the letters you have posted so there is no doubt that it's true. If it weren't true, I'm sure he'd have indicated that by now.

Jeremy is only amongst a handful of prisoners that I knew or came across with a Category AAA status. Most of the other lifers, murderers and killers were just Category A. Being Categorised an A prisoner means that you are 'on the book', and regular checks have to be carried out on these prisoners every 15 minutes to half an hour during the night. Night lights are left on until morning. Once I became somebody who Jeremy trusted, I asked him what was the difference between being a Category A status, and a Category AAA status? Jeremy told me that in the event of World War three breaking out, all Category AAA prisoners would be shot. I never bothered to check whether what he told me was true or not, other than it got me thinking about what would happen to all the other graded prisoners in the system in that scenario?

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
People have been making up stories about me for nigh on two and a half decades, claiming that I am supposed to be a nonce, a pervert, someone who has spent time on a sex offenders wing, and that I am supposed to be on the sex offenders register. But every single one of those stories is totally untrue. It just goes to show how low some people will stoop with the intention of trying to cause trouble for one person or another. I suppose in a funny sort of a way, my taking an interest in Jeremy's plight hasn't helped matters, what with him being convicted of the murders of two little boys who were sleeping at the time he is convicted of killing them. But, how did I know whether he had done what he has been convicted of doing? There is nothing wrong with trying to find out for yourself, if someone did what they are convicted of doing, or they didn't. I found it challenging for me to have to sit patiently listening to 'his script', day after day, until I did not need to be told over and over, his script. It was only then, did I start to ask of him, things which I thought were an issue in his prosecution - 'Did you kill your family'? I asked him, he responded by saying, ' No, I did not kill my family'...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:33:PM by mike tesko »

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
People have been making up stories about me for nigh on two and a half decades, claiming that I am supposed to be a nonce, a pervert, someone who has spent time on a sex offenders wing, and that I am supposed to be on the sex offenders register. But every single one of those stories is totally untrue. It just goes to show how low some people will stoop with the intention of trying to cause trouble for one person or another. I suppose in a funny sort of a way, my taking an interest in Jeremy's plight hasn't helped matters, what with him being convicted of the murders of two little boys who were sleeping at the time he is convicted of killing them. But, how did I know whether he had done what he has been convicted of doing? There is nothing wrong with trying to find out for yourself, if someone did what they are convicted of doing, or they didn't. I found it challenging for me to have to sit patiently listening to 'his script', day after day, until I did not need to be told over and over, his script. It was only then, did I start to ask of him, things which I thought were an issue in his prosecution - 'Did you kill your family'? I asked him, he responded by saying, ' No, I did not kill my family'...

I never asked him that question again, since I trusted my judgement, which told me that this person was telling me the truth. It wasn't just the words he used when he answered my question, it was the manner with which he spoke those few words - 'No, I did not kill my family'...

Offline buddy

How did other prisoners treat Jeremy? Did they think him innocent?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:40:PM by buddy »

Offline lookout

Mike I can vouch for the feeling of " being a monster " because you happen to support someone who " has murdered two little boys " and unfortunately mud sticks so what people can't say about you, they make up.

I'm in no doubt that what must have been pm'd between the guilters,and indeed said on an open forum,that between the pair of us we'd have a damning case against them,but hey-ho the day of reckoning so far as JB is concerned will loom ever closer and prove us both right. 

Offline Caroline

Mike I can vouch for the feeling of " being a monster " because you happen to support someone who " has murdered two little boys " and unfortunately mud sticks so what people can't say about you, they make up.

I'm in no doubt that what must have been pm'd between the guilters,and indeed said on an open forum,that between the pair of us we'd have a damning case against them,but hey-ho the day of reckoning so far as JB is concerned will loom ever closer and prove us both right.

Seriously Lookout, this isn't about you and nothing you have said has anyone running for the hills. Speaking for myself, I have no need to PM anyone about you.  ::)
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline lookout

Seriously Lookout, this isn't about you and nothing you have said has anyone running for the hills. Speaking for myself, I have no need to PM anyone about you.  ::)

I remain under no illusions that what I have posted hasn't gone down well with a few.
 I'm well aware it isn't about ME,why would you say it was ? I couldn't care less really.

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
How did other prisoners treat Jeremy? Did they think him innocent?

The general feeling between those who had to live alongside Jeremy, and those he studied with, were chiefly sympathetic to his predicament. However, one or two did voice their opinion that he was of course guilty. Most people kept their opinions to themselves, and  reasoned that his sister could have killed the others, then herself. Prisons throughout the length and breadth of the country were full of 'innocent', men and women, so why couldn't Bambers case fall into that category? Just because a jury had convicted him of committing the murders, it doesn't mean that he did, or had. What matters, is what was presented in evidence as part of the prosecutions case, versus what they withheld and hid away through a fear that to have disclosed it, would seriously underpin their own case...

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator
In have chatted with and to, many an innocent man in prison. It turns out that most of them were guilty after all, but victims of a lie, or a dodgy piece of evidence. I learned this lesson quickly...

Offline buddy

The general feeling between those who had to live alongside Jeremy, and those he studied with, were chiefly sympathetic to his predicament. However, one or two did voice their opinion that he was of course guilty. Most people kept their opinions to themselves, and  reasoned that his sister could have killed the others, then herself. Prisons throughout the length and breadth of the country were full of 'innocent', men and women, so why couldn't Bambers case fall into that category? Just because a jury had convicted him of committing the murders, it doesn't mean that he did, or had. What matters, is what was presented in evidence as part of the prosecutions case, versus what they withheld and hid away through a fear that to have disclosed it, would seriously underpin their own case...
It must be hard for a convicted child killer in prison.
People like Ian Huntley who it was proved he killed Jessica, and Holly.
I still don't think it has been proved that Jeremy was a child killer.

Offline lookout

Certainly not " beyond reasonable doubt ",buddy,with Jeremy,that is.

Offline mike tesko

• Administrator

Well, he is certainly convicted as being one, but sufficient doubt exists for him not to be one...

Most people would be prepared to accept that Sheila could have overpowered June and her two little boys, but not Ralph. And, that the length of the rifle with a silencer fitted would have been too long to allow Sheila to have been able to shoot and kill herself with the weapon so configured. Her blood found inside the silencer as presented to the court was obviously such a powerful part of the prosecutions case, that the jury were left with no option but to convict him, rather than aportion responsibility for Sheila's death to herself. By default the decision about who had shot Sheila, with the only two contenders being Sheila and Jeremy, he was convicted of the other four murders by implication, without the requirement for the prosecution to prove he had killed any of the other victims individually...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:29:PM by mike tesko »

Offline sami

• Veteran Member
good to see you kept busy .thats the best thing to do in prison ,learning courses and keeping fit.bird is far easier to do when one keeps busy :)