Author Topic: Cluster Headaches  (Read 2816 times)

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cluster Headaches
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 10:43:PM »
I think there's a modern phenomenon with the internet I would label as medical self-diagnosis myopia. I wonder if I'm afflicted by neurasthenia or it's all in my imagination and just the stress of overwork?
I do believe we should take responsibility for our own health and even when being treated by a doctor we should use good nutrition, and herbs etc to support medical treatment as long as it doesn't interfere.

Drs are not holistic in their approach and tend to just deal with the symptoms presented but that often doesn't help long term and can make things worse.  Always good to be aware of what drugs you take, what the side effects are and if long term use can cause problems.  Drs just chuck pills at us if we aren't on out guard and in control. imo and my experience and I must say I have quite a bit of that. ;D

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 10:45:PM »
no maggie not every time ,also its hard to keep it on when an attack is in progress because iam rolling around the floor crying,yes men cry too
Sounds dreadful sami, have you ever thought of trying something like acupuncture? It can work .

Offline lookout

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 10:47:PM »
I can understand Verapamil being used as it's a medication for hypertension in which it's been found that there's a connection in headaches/migraine to heart disease and the Verapamil tablets are calcium channel blockers but dosage should have been gradually increased because of the side-effects. Sometimes beta-blockers are also used too mainly to treat anxieties.

Offline sami

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 10:51:PM »
I do believe we should take responsibility for our own health and even when being treated by a doctor we should use good nutrition, and herbs etc to support medical treatment as long as it doesn't interfere.

Drs are not holistic in their approach and tend to just deal with the symptoms presented but that often doesn't help long term and can make things worse.  Always good to be aware of what drugs you take, what the side effects are and if long term use can cause problems.  Drs just chuck pills at us if we aren't on out guard and in control. imo and my experience and I must say I have quite a bit of that. ;D
thats very true maggie,an old ex nurse lives next to me and she's been telling me for years to try vitamins for the pain ,i ignored her advice,only to go to the cluster headache site on the web and find other sufferers have been taking10,000 iu of vitamin d3 and its helped over 80% of sufferers.so theres more to the old wifes tale than we know

Offline sami

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 10:54:PM »
I can understand Verapamil being used as it's a medication for hypertension in which it's been found that there's a connection in headaches/migraine to heart disease and the Verapamil tablets are calcium channel blockers but dosage should have been gradually increased because of the side-effects. Sometimes beta-blockers are also used too mainly to treat anxieties.
lookout that idiot had me on 960mgs aday ,for angina one takes 80 mgs aday

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 10:54:PM »
thanks maggie,i can see your experienced in medicine .i buy the melatonin from usa through internet,ive sumatriptin injection for the bad attacks ,and also oxygen tanks,but to be honest there is nothing that can stop them,ive been to neurolygist at royal london h.and he;s a bigger idiot than the doctor ,he gave me so high a dose of verapimil that it caused a abnormal ecg or i had to have a scan.most worring time of my life maggie
The most frustrating part of this is that there is probably something that could stop it but finding out what is so difficult.  Have you been tested for food allergies, that may be worth a try, it's amazing how they can affect you.  Cluster headaches are an autoimmune disease so there has to be a cause.  My daughter was ill for 6 years with ME and she suffered dreadful headaches along with many other things.  The doctor didn't have the faintest idea and I tried all kinds of treatments.  Eventually she had a test for food allergies and intolerances and discovered she was a celiac and shouldn't eat gluten, she stopped eating it and in a short time she was better.  So simple but it took so long to discover.  Maybe ask your doctor if you could try testing for allergies you just never know.

Offline sami

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 10:58:PM »
Sounds dreadful sami, have you ever thought of trying something like acupuncture? It can work .
no  because other sufferers have reported no difference, ,but i have had the noose around my neck a few times,but couldnt do it ,its a struggle maggie

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 10:59:PM »
thats very true maggie,an old ex nurse lives next to me and she's been telling me for years to try vitamins for the pain ,i ignored her advice,only to go to the cluster headache site on the web and find other sufferers have been taking10,000 iu of vitamin d3 and its helped over 80% of sufferers.so theres more to the old wifes tale than we know
I was going to suggest minerals as well sami, magnesium etc is so important to us and we are all deficient in it.  D3 is an enormously important vitamin and I believe a reason why people in France and Italy have much lower cancer rates is because of the rates of Vit D they get from the sun whereas the more Northerly countries with low rates of sunshine tend to have higher rates of cancer.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 11:02:PM »
no  because other sufferers have reported no difference, ,but i have had the noose around my neck a few times,but couldnt do it ,its a struggle maggie
Have you had tests for food intolerances/allergies? 

Offline sami

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 11:04:PM »
The most frustrating part of this is that there is probably something that could stop it but finding out what is so difficult.  Have you been tested for food allergies, that may be worth a try, it's amazing how they can affect you.  Cluster headaches are an autoimmune disease so there has to be a cause.  My daughter was ill for 6 years with ME and she suffered dreadful headaches along with many other things.  The doctor didn't have the faintest idea and I tried all kinds of treatments.  Eventually she had a test for food allergies and intolerances and discovered she was a celiac and shouldn't eat gluten, she stopped eating it and in a short time she was better.  So simple but it took so long to discover.  Maybe ask your doctor if you could try testing for allergies you just never know.
i think you know more than most doctors do,maggie.yes my form of it is called hortons histamine headache and allergy linked.iam impressed with your knowledge on it maggie

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 11:05:PM »
We're miles off subject, I'll move this to Off Topic tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your suffering sami, don't give up there must be an answer.  Speak tomorrow. Goodnight. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:06:PM by maggie »

Offline sami

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 11:08:PM »
Have you had tests for food intolerances/allergies?
allergies yes ,i was told 2 or 3mm bump after applying the allergens would be a positve reaction,tree pollen was 10mm wide and mould 6mm wide,so severe reactions on that pair

Offline sami

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 11:09:PM »
We're miles off subject, I'll move this to Off Topic tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your suffering sami, don't give up there must be an answer.  Speak tomorrow. Goodnight. :)
i was gonna say we better move on,goodnight maggie :)

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 08:42:AM »
allergies yes ,i was told 2 or 3mm bump after applying the allergens would be a positve reaction,tree pollen was 10mm wide and mould 6mm wide,so severe reactions on that pair
I do think you should look at food allergies, they can attack your immune system and cause havoc without you realising it.  People think you have to have some kind of digestive complaint but this isn't the case, if you can't absorb your vits and minerals it can cause all kinds of problems.  Just a suggestion. :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:43:AM by maggie »

Offline sami

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 09:02:AM »
I do think you should look at food allergies, they can attack your immune system and cause havoc without you realising it.  People think you have to have some kind of digestive complaint but this isn't the case, if you can't absorb your vits and minerals it can cause all kinds of problems.  Just a suggestion. :)
thanks maggie i will.i have to apolygise to trudi for hijacking her post.