Author Topic: EU Referendum  (Read 22361 times)

Offline Steve_uk

Re: EU Referendum
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2019, 08:20:PM »
The Polish are hard workers and are the only ones who'll do the menial tasks that our own won't.

I voted Remain and am sorely disappointed in this outcome. To Remain is to believe in democracy and freedom of movement which the Brexit vote is blocking. Why ?
I'm not sure what you mean lookout. The democracy is the 17.4 million who voted to leave.

Offline lookout

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2019, 04:40:PM »
No Steve, by leaving, people lose their freedom to remain in this country, freely. Those who live outside the EU are expected to earn a ridiculous annual salary or they're deported, even if they've lived in this country for a long time, usually up to 10 years. Is this right and fair ? 

Offline lookout

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2019, 05:20:PM »
The back-stop in NI is anti-democratic. BJ has no right to enforce this.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2019, 07:35:PM »
No Steve, by leaving, people lose their freedom to remain in this country, freely. Those who live outside the EU are expected to earn a ridiculous annual salary or they're deported, even if they've lived in this country for a long time, usually up to 10 years. Is this right and fair ?

I also voted to stay but people living here from the EU aren't being forced to leave. Where did you get that from?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:35:PM by Caroline »
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Caroline

« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2019, 07:36:PM »
The back-stop in NI is anti-democratic. BJ has no right to enforce this.

BJ doesn't want the backstop.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2019, 07:53:PM »
I think it's fair because there is a large enough pool of low-skilled immigrants for indigenous Brits to choose from in this country already, without bringing in more from overseas. All 3 million EU citizens currently residing in the UK will be able to stay whatever their income, though things will change for new arrivals after October 31.

Offline Jane

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2019, 08:14:PM »
I think it's fair because there is a large enough pool of low-skilled immigrants for indigenous Brits to choose from in this country already, without bringing in more from overseas. All 3 million EU citizens currently residing in the UK will be able to stay whatever their income, though things will change for new arrivals after October 31.

I think part of the problem is that we have those here in receipt of benefits who are capable of doing work of some sort, but prefer not to, ergo, we give the jobs to immigrants who are not only prepared to work but also manage to send money back to their families whilst earning wages that some wouldn't be prepared to get out of bed for. Personally, if there's blame to be laid, I'd lay it at the door of the system which allows it.

For future reference, I'd like to see the sort of points system used by Australia. ie, if you have a job to come to, can support yourself, can speak the language and are prepared to follow our rules, you're welcome.

Offline lookout

« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2019, 08:25:PM »

Freedom of movement will come to a halt. Diane Abbott is right about it being chaotic as EU citizens will no longer have the right to live and work in the UK after a no-deal Brexit.   

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2019, 08:38:PM »

Freedom of movement will come to a halt. Diane Abbott is right about it being chaotic as EU citizens will no longer have the right to live and work in the UK after a no-deal Brexit.
I think this is a negotiating tactic and I wish the country would pull together as it did in wartime. Unfortunately due to its disparate nature I'm not optimistic.

Offline lookout

« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2019, 08:40:PM »
The hostilities this will create towards many countries will be unimaginable as well as the EU nationals who have settled into this country legally but without the relevant paperwork who will have to scramble to register by the 31st of October. Problems galore !

Offline Caroline

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2019, 09:01:PM »
The hostilities this will create towards many countries will be unimaginable as well as the EU nationals who have settled into this country legally but without the relevant paperwork who will have to scramble to register by the 31st of October. Problems galore !

Legally but without the relevant paperwork?  ???

Offline Jane

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2019, 09:02:PM »
I think this is a negotiating tactic and I wish the country would pull together as it did in wartime. Unfortunately due to its disparate nature I'm not optimistic.

Sadly Steve, I fear Britain is a very different place to the one in the war. I believe at that time the country fought and stood together for the common good. Since then there are those here who are prepared to take the benefits we give them whilst plotting to destroy our way of life.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2019, 09:10:PM »

Sadly Steve, I fear Britain is a very different place to the one in the war. I believe at that time the country fought and stood together for the common good. Since then there are those here who are prepared to take the benefits we give them whilst plotting to destroy our way of life.

That and the fact that almost have of the population voted to stay in the EU. I don't want to leave and can't be happy that we are.

Offline Jane

« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2019, 09:37:PM »
That and the fact that almost have of the population voted to stay in the EU. I don't want to leave and can't be happy that we are.

I voted to stay. Seeing the EU as a gang, I can quite see why people join gangs. It's better than being the odd one out and being ganged up on. I see the disarray in Parliament as being a microcosm of what's going on nationally. Yes, there was a majority and although it was hardly close enough to call, morally, I guess it has to be adhered to. Trouble is, we were never asked what conditions we wanted to be applied. We were only asked if we wanted to leave or stay.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2019, 01:48:AM »
There's a longer deadline. https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families