Author Topic: Psychiatrists diagnose Peter Sutcliffe as recovered (burned out) of Paranoid Schizophrenia  (Read 2613 times)

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
What's good for one is good for the other surely? Infact why don't we hope Sutcliffe and Bamber take each other out like the animals that they are? 

I have no problem with his prison move. We can't say that he SHOULD be locked up there because Doctors say so, and then say he shouldn't be moved...Even thought he doctors are saying he should be.

It seems the Dr's are only right when we agree with them.

The family of his victims have said they don't care where he is locked up aslong as he is inside and their opinion is good enough for me.
Why do you call him an animal if he is mentally ill?  I thought we had moved on from such thinking, I am not trying to detract from the horror of his crimes we are all aware of them but is he morally responsible if he was so profoundly mentally ill?

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
If they cannot distinguish right from wrong then then no. But very few people qualify for it.

It would not surprise me if sutcliffe never had any serious mental illness at all. His defence team probably told him to go along with the idea that he was ill.
I cannot believe people are saying this, diagnosis of Paranoid Schizophrenia requires 5 particular symptoms.... that confirms schizophrenia as opposed to generalised psychosis.  I am sure with a person such as Peter Sutcliffe psychiatrists were extremely careful in their diagnosis.
I know psychiatrists can be a little odd themselves but they are very highly trained doctors and certainly would not be easily duped..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:41:PM by maggie »

Offline Jane J

Offline mat

• Veteran Member
Why do you call him an animal if he is mentally ill?  I thought we had moved on from such thinking, I am not trying to detract from the horror of his crimes we are all aware of them but is he morally responsible if he was so profoundly mentally ill?

No, my post is saying that given Lookouts standards. They weren't my thoughts on it, I should have been clearer.

Offline lookout

I'm not the only one who disbelieves Sutcliffe's "illness ". The cop who put him behind bars didn't believe that he'd " heard voices in his head ". He was just evil,said the cop,who is now getting on in years.

Offline Jane J

Have just listened to the son of one of Sutcliffe's victims. Rather different from Lookout's view. "If he is moved to prison I will accept it. It won't change what happened...................." The retired policeman seemed to hold similar views to Lookout.

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
I cannot believe people are saying this, diagnosis of Paranoid Schizophrenia requires 5 particular symptoms.... that confirms schizophrenia as opposed to generalised psychosis.  I am sure with a person such as Peter Sutcliffe psychiatrists were extremely careful in their diagnosis.
I know psychiatrists can be a little odd themselves but they are very highly trained doctors and certainly would not be easily duped..

I have been a psychiatric out patient for 9 years. They can be duped just like anyone else, When I was 16 I could not get a certain prescription because of the FDA guidelines. So what did I do? I looked online for a common psychiatric illness where guildlines did allow that drug for under 18s and then read up symptoms in detail then gradually expressed those symptoms to my psychiatrist over several month, Then I got 'diagnosed' and got the prescription I originally wanted. Come to think of it by the time I got that prescription my 18th birthday was only about 6 month away  :))  oh well

As for Sutcliff
He was considered fit to be moved into prison in 2009, this is nothing new. Its media hype.
"Truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

"The idea that he could invent a tale of a killing spree by a mentally disturbed woman to be lent credibility by further violent episodes over the following decades is hard to credit."

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
I have been a psychiatric out patient for 9 years. They can be duped just like anyone else, When I was 16 I could not get a certain prescription because of the FDA guidelines. So what did I do? I looked online for a common psychiatric illness where guildlines did allow that drug for under 18s and then read up symptoms in detail then gradually expressed those symptoms to my psychiatrist over several month, Then I got 'diagnosed' and got the prescription I originally wanted. Come to think of it by the time I got that prescription my 18th birthday was only about 6 month away  :))  oh well

As for Sutcliff
He was considered fit to be moved into prison in 2009, this is nothing new. Its media hype.
That is your opinion.  You are not Peter Sutcliffe therefore may not have been under quite as much scrutiny as him but I don't know your case history and none of us are psychiatrists.  We can all have our own opinions but we know nothing about Peter Sutcliffe, whether he is a violent and nasty character even when supposedly having burned out or whether he is a completely different person when not psychotic. :-\
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:54:PM by maggie »

Offline Jane J

As for Sutcliff

Psychiatrists, psychologists and therapists cannot do their jobs if they assume their patients/clients are lying to them. Trust and honesty are paramount but if appointments are sporadic it makes it difficult to build relationships.

Offline lookout

No, my post is saying that given Lookouts standards. They weren't my thoughts on it, I should have been clearer.

That's right,use me in your excuses. ::) What standards by the way ? They're only the same as everyone else's except that I'm more honest !!

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
That is your opinion.  You are not Peter Sutcliffe

This is Peter Sutcliffe, David lent me his laptop  :o  ???   ;D   ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:05:PM by david1819 »
"Truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

"The idea that he could invent a tale of a killing spree by a mentally disturbed woman to be lent credibility by further violent episodes over the following decades is hard to credit."

Offline mat

• Veteran Member

That's right,use me in your excuses. ::) What standards by the way ? They're only the same as everyone else's except that I'm more honest !!

In your opinion you're more honest than anyone else. But I don't think it makes Jane or Maggie LESS honest just because their view is different.

I'm sure a good few people DO want to see harm to the yorkshire ripper - but the flip side of that is that some believe because he had a mental illness at the time that him being attacked NOW would make them feel uneasy.

I'd say I was somewhere in the middle. I am dubious as to his mental illness diagnosis by default. And I doubt I would lose much sleep IF he was attacked, because his crimes were so heinous that I struggle to look past them. But what we should be discussing is

1. Is it possible to actually burn out of a severe case of PS where you're hearing the voice of God and kill people due to that.
2. Is him leaving Broadmoar any less of a punishment.

Whether he should be attacked in prison or not is a bit animalistic. .

David, some on here will believe that!!  ;D ;D

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
Could you please sign in at the foyer, Peter. 8)

Offline lookout

Just another ? attention-seeking screwball Maggie. ::)

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
 :o 8)
Just another ? attention-seeking screwball Maggie. ::)
;D All are welcome as long as they aren't abusive Lookout  ;D ;D :o :o 8)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:59:AM by maggie »