Author Topic: Psychiatrists diagnose Peter Sutcliffe as recovered (burned out) of Paranoid Schizophrenia  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Reader

I would recommend watching it  - Catching History's Criminals - The Forensics Story.
Click here to watch it (available for 4 weeks). I think there's one more episode to come.

Offline lookout

I noticed that the " powers that be " are saying that Sutcliffe is no longer mentally ill---------WHAT ??
Do these " professionals " know anything ? Sutcliffe has got them all kidded.

Offline Jane J

I noticed that the " powers that be " are saying that Sutcliffe is no longer mentally ill---------WHAT ??
Do these " professionals " know anything ? Sutcliffe has got them all kidded.

I have no idea what the yardstick is. I can only assume that he's been off all meds -and monitored- for long enough for them to determine this.???

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator

I have no idea what the yardstick is. I can only assume that he's been off all meds -and monitored- for long enough for them to determine this.???
Schizophrenics do 'burn out' nothing new in this.
I worked with the elderly and had some 'burned out' violent schizophrenics to care for.
They are no threat and no different from others.
A guy who had spent years in a locked ward in a mental hospital was able'll e to pop into town, go to the pub...... once the psychosis is over the illness has gone.

Offline lookout

Schizophrenics do 'burn out' nothing new in this.
I worked with the elderly and had some 'burned out' violent schizophrenics to care for.
They are no threat and no different from others.
A guy who had spent years in a locked ward in a mental hospital was able'll e to pop into town, go to the pub...... once the psychosis is over the illness has gone.

Maggie this is about the crimes he committed.He butchered all those women as well as attempting to murder others,yet he's now diagnosed as having a " sound mind ".? I don't think so.

Offline lookout

I'm beginning think the mental health of some psychiatrists is questionable.

Offline Jane J

Maggie this is about the crimes he committed.He butchered all those women as well as attempting to murder others,yet he's now diagnosed as having a " sound mind ".? I don't think so.

Yes, but being "of sound mind" will only facilitate a return to prison -NOT release- because he's on a full life tariff. The only people he'll come into contact with will be other prisoners.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator

I understand what you're saying but he killed as a schizophrenic so is he responsible for his crimes? That's a huge question imo.
I'm not saying what should happen now but just stating this is what happens as schizophrenics age.

Offline lookout

Yes, but being "of sound mind" will only facilitate a return to prison -NOT release- because he's on a full life tariff. The only people he'll come into contact with will be other prisoners.

That's as maybe,but Broadmoor is the safer and secure environment ( so far as the public and victims families of his atrocities are concerned ) with like for like inhabitants which is where he should stay. I can't wait to see what happens if and when he's moved,probably to Wakefield which would cast an even darker shadow over Jeremy.
Let's hope he gets lynched wherever he goes.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator

That's as maybe,but Broadmoor is the safer and secure environment ( so far as the public and victims families of his atrocities are concerned ) with like for like inhabitants which is where he should stay. I can't wait to see what happens if and when he's moved,probably to Wakefield which would cast an even darker shadow over Jeremy.
Let's hope he gets lynched wherever he goes.
The trouble with that is he was a very sick man when he carried out these horrendous crimes, does he deserve to be lynched? If Sheila Caffell carried out the murders at WHF in a psychotic episode would she have deserved to be lynched?
Revenge heals nothing imo but we all have different opinions.
I know I am not personally involved and if I was I may see things differently.

Offline lookout

The trouble with that is he was a very sick man when he carried out these horrendous crimes, does he deserve to be lynched? If Sheila Caffell carried out the murders at WHF in a psychotic episode would she have deserved to be lynched?

Maggie you do have to put yourself in the shoes of those families of the victims and you never forget how they met their deaths. I do understand that revenge only makes you ill and bitter but so does losing a family member under the horrendous circumstances and my personal feeling would be death to him, nothing less.
Everyone in the surrounding areas of where he'd murdered were also living in fear,as I remember that time.

Offline lookout

I can't understand Jeremy having no bitterness for what's happened to him ? Losing his family and also getting the blame.
In fact I can't understand anyone who forgives such wrongs it's beyond me.
I suppose it's all down to education !

Offline Jane J

Not necessarily, Maggie -although I admit to always having made a point, with M., that it would be different if the boot was on the other foot. However, when his son was killed, at the inquest, he made the effort to speak to the guy responsible for his death, and acknowledged to him that it was a case of there but for the grace of God.

Offline Jane J

Maggie you do have to put yourself in the shoes of those families of the victims and you never forget how they met their deaths. I do understand that revenge only makes you ill and bitter but so does losing a family member under the horrendous circumstances and my personal feeling would be death to him, nothing less.
Everyone in the surrounding areas of where he'd murdered were also living in fear,as I remember that time.

All of which is somewhat different -and far more generous- than that which you've said about the Bamber relatives.

Offline lookout

All of which is somewhat different -and far more generous- than that which you've said about the Bamber relatives.

Do you always have to make comparisons ? I was referring to the families of the victims---------not the Bamber relatives,and if that remark of yours isn't meant to inflame,I don't know what is.