Author Topic: Who has more rights thirty years on: Jeremy or Colin?  (Read 168289 times)

Offline Steve_uk

Re: Who has more rights thirty years on: Jeremy or Colin?
« Reply #1665 on: January 30, 2020, 07:41:PM »
After the workshop, we agreed to meet at another activity that evening and discovered that we lived only a mile or so apart in the same area of London. Jill, seeing the obvious spark between us, left the following day.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #1666 on: January 30, 2020, 07:50:PM »
Some months later, well into our relationship, Sally told me that when she first noticed me across the auditorium, she thought to herself, "Oh, he looks nice," at which point a voice in her head clearly said, "That's the father of your child!" Surprised at this sudden intrusion, she did a double-take, saw me holding hands with the woman next to me and assumed I was already attached. It was only when I got up to give my talk that Sally realized I was running the clay workshop she had signed up for.

Years later, she told me that if intuition hadn't happened, like others before her, she might never have entered the relationship once she'd heard about my past. It also came as quite a shock, because motherhood had not been part of her plan; she was a free-spirited, well-travelled journalist and music presenter on a national radio station. When we discovered Sally was pregnant a year later, we were even more surprised, because problems during an earlier operation had nearly resulted in a hysterectomy to save her life. Yehudi Gordon, the brilliant gynaecologist who had saved her womb, described the pregnancy and subsequent birth of our daughter as "a miracle."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:51:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #1667 on: January 30, 2020, 07:55:PM »
Being a parent again was something I had thought long and hard about. There was always going to be a very real danger of idealized projection of the twins onto a new baby, not just from me but also from those who knew the boys well; for this beautiful new child to find herself in the shadow of little boys who were regarded by many as "angels". I had to be very sure in myself that she would not be an emotional replacement, but seen for her own unique qualities. It was therefore an enormous relief to find we had a daughter on the way, sparing her the risk of any potential comparisons had she been a boy.

Offline David1819

« Reply #1668 on: January 30, 2020, 08:02:PM »
Steve with all due respect, most here have the book and so do I. 

You are just copying and pasting the books content with no transformative purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or support a claim. This is technically copyright infringement.  :-\

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #1669 on: January 30, 2020, 08:08:PM »
Steve with all due respect, most here have the book and so do I. 

You are just copying and pasting the books content with no transformative purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or support a claim. This is technically copyright infringement.  :-\
Oh I didn't know members had the new copy. I will comment in due course.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:13:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline David1819

« Reply #1670 on: January 30, 2020, 11:54:PM »
Oh I didn't know members had the new copy. I will comment in due course.

I got the kindle version last week.  I wonder why JBs letters to him have been omitted in this version.

Offline Janet ((Formerly known as Takeshi))

« Reply #1671 on: January 31, 2020, 12:04:AM »
I got the kindle version last week.  I wonder why JBs letters to him have been omitted in this version.

Are the letters on this thread?

Edit:

Please ignore, I have found them. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:06:AM by Janet ((Formerly known as Takeshi)) »
"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" - William Blackstone

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #1672 on: January 31, 2020, 12:12:AM »
They're in Chapter 25.

Offline David1819

« Reply #1673 on: January 31, 2020, 12:19:AM »
They're in Chapter 25.

They are not all there. Can you check with the paper version.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #1674 on: January 31, 2020, 12:33:AM »
They are not all there. Can you check with the paper version.
Well I don't have the kindle anyway. The book I have is published by Hodder with an orange and pink cover. As I say it's in Chapter 25. Chapters 29 and 30 are new so were not in the hardback edition I bought a few years ago.

Offline David1819

« Reply #1675 on: January 31, 2020, 12:37:AM »
Well I don't have the kindle anyway. The book I have is published by Hodder with an orange and pink cover. As I say it's in Chapter 25. Chapters 29 and 30 are new so were not in the hardback edition I bought a few years ago.

The 2020 kindle version should be same as the 2020 paper version.

« Reply #1676 on: January 31, 2020, 12:55:AM »
Letter from Jeremy in Wormwood Scrubs to Colin written 16 August 1988:

DEAR COLIN

I READ THE ARTICLE IN YESTERDAY'S INDEPENDENT WITH MUCH SADNESS,THE SAME SADNESS I ALWAYS FEEL WHEN I READ ABOUT YOU AND WHAT YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH IN THE LAST THREE YEARS.

YOUR LETTER TODAY,COLIN,WAS I'M AFRAID A TOUCH PREMATURE.YOU'RE WRITING TO ME HOPING,I GUESS,FOR THE LAST FEW PIECES OF THE JIGSAW SO THAT YOU MAY HOLD THE PICTURE OF WHAT HAPPENED IS NOT POSSIBLE.
IF I COULD FURNISH YOU WITH WHAT YOU WANTED THEN I WOULD GLADLY DO SO-WHATEVER HAPPENED THAT FATEFUL NIGHT WILL NEVER BE FULLY EXPLAINED,IN FACT YOU COULD PROBABLY TELL ME MORE THAN I COULD YOU.

THE PAPER DID MENTION IN THE ARTICLE YESTERDAY THAT I WAS APPEALING AND NO DOUBT YOU KNEW THAT ANYWAY. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO REACT WHEN THEY QUASH MY CONVICTION ,COLIN,BECAUSE IT'S VERY PROBABLE THEY WILL DO SO? YOU MAY BELIEVE ME GUILTY,YOU MAY NOT,BUT I HOPE THAT IF NOTHING ELSE YOU'LL TRY AND KEEP AN OPEN MIND BECAUSE AT MY APPEAL I WILL PROVE MY INNOCENCE AND BY DOING THAT THE CORNER-STONE OF THE PROSECUTION EVIDENCE WAS FABRICATED,BY WHOM I CAN'T PROVE YET AND IT'S NOT NECESSARY TO DO SO FOR MY APPEAL BUT EVENTUALLY I'LL FIND OUT BECAUSE IT CAN ONLY BE ONE OF FIVE PEOPLE. IT SOUNDS LIKE I'M TALKING RIDDLES AND I'M SORRY THAT I CAN'T EXPLAIN IN A LETTER TO YOU.IT SEEMS SO POINTLESS IN ME SENDING YOU THIS LETTER AS IT'LL ONLY ADD TO YOUR CONFUSION BUT FOR YOU TO WRITE TO ME MUST HAVE TAKEN A GREAT DEAL SO MY REPLYING IS THE LEAST I CAN DO..

The part I have highlighted in red is the only part of this letter that appears in Chapter 25 of the 2020 printed version.
"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" - William Blackstone

Offline David1819

« Reply #1677 on: January 31, 2020, 12:56:AM »
The part I have highlighted in red is the only part of this letter that appears in Chapter 25 of the 2020 printed version.

Yes. This is what I was on about.

« Reply #1678 on: January 31, 2020, 01:16:AM »
SCRUBS PRISON,WEDNESDAY 2 FEBRUARY 1989

DEAR COLIN,

SO YOU DECIDED NOT TO REPLY TO MY LETTER,I WONDER WHY? MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FACE THE TRUTH THAT I DID NOT KILL YOUR CHILDREN OR SHEILA OR MUM AND DAD. HOW SAD,COLIN,THAT YOU CAN'T DISTINGUISH REALITY FROM MEDIA HYPE
,MISGUIDED POLICE AND MY MONEY-GRABBING RELATIVES. OUT OF EVERYONE I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT UNDERSTAND BUT INSTEAD YOU'VE MADE YOURSELF A COG IN THE MEDIA WHEEL. THE VERY SAME MEDIA THAT YOU RIDICULE IN THE RADIO TIMES. YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW I'VE SUFFERED SINCE SHEILA KILLED MY FAMILY-I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU CARE AND WHY SHOULD YOU,COLIN,WITH YOUR NICE LITTLE BOOK AND YOUR PRETTY LITTLE SCULPTURES POURING OUT YOUR GRIEF TO ANY FILM CREW AROUND-NICE TIMING TOO-EH,-WITH MY APPEAL UP SOON,MAYBE YOU'D LIKE TO WAVE A BANNER OUTSIDE THE COURT WITH "JEREMY'S GUILTY BUT I DON'T WANT REVENGE."

GO AND ENJOY YOUR CELEBRITY STATUS,MAYBE YOU'LL BE ON WOGAN NEXT AND CAN ADVERTISE YOUR BOOK AND SCULPTURES THAT WAY-HOW YOU CAN CHEAPEN DANIEL AND NICHOLAS AND THEIR TRAGIC DEATH I JUST DON'T KNOW. NO ONE WANTED ANYTHING OF YOU BEFORE THEN AND NOW THEY'RE GONE YOU'RE USING IT FOR YOUR OWN ENDS-PRETENDING IT'S GRIEF COUNSELLING. YOU WERE ALRIGHT,COLIN,ONCE,BUT NOW I'M SORRY TO SEE YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A LEECH LIVING OFF YOUR OWN SONS' TRAGIC DEATH. IF THEY COULD SEE YOU NOW I BET IT WOULD SICKEN THEM AS IT SICKENS ME...I HOPE YOU LOVE YOURSELF,IN FACT I BET YOU DO. WHAT I WISH IS THAT YOU NEVER GET TO HAVE CHILDREN IN THE FUTURE BECAUSE YOU'LL FUCK THEM UP TOO-IT WAS YOUR FAULT THAT SHEILA WENT MAD AND KILLED EVERYONE. YOU KNEW SHE WOULD BREAK UNDER THE STRAIN OF BRINGING UP A FAMILY ON HER OWN-YOU DIDN'T CARE FOR YOUR CHILDREN EVEN IN THE WOMB..

YOU'VE DONE ME MUCH HARM WITH YOUR SELFISH USE OF THE MEDIA SO I'D USE THE SAME TO GET MY OWN BACK. LOOK FORWARD TO AN ARTICLE SOON COLIN MAY IT PRICK YOUR CONSCIENCE IF YOU HAVE ONE. YOUR [SIC] NOTHING BUT A LEACH JUST THINK WHAT YOUR [SIC] FEEDING OFF.

WITH VERY MUCH SADNESS

JEREMY

Again, the text in red is what appears in Chapter 25 2020 version. Interestingly, the text in blue appears in the new book but was not in the original thread posting.

Offline David1819

« Reply #1679 on: January 31, 2020, 01:19:AM »
Again, the text in red is what appears in Chapter 25 2020 version. Interestingly, the text in blue appears in the new book but was not in the original thread posting.

Very strange.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:20:AM by David1819 »