Author Topic: What Is The Long Term Answer To This Ongoing Problem?  (Read 10536 times)

Offline Jane

Re: What Is The Long Term Answer To This Ongoing Problem?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 09:39:PM »
Are you talking about 'censoring' after the fact?

Yes, Caroline. Call it censure or sentence. Neither is revenge but simply a penalty for breaking the rules. If the rules continue to be broken the censure/sentence should be more severe. 

Offline lookout

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 09:40:PM »
Knowledgeable as in they think he's innocent?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

This forum is just for debate, it's the OS sites job to campaign.

Guilters and unsurers. Some things I haven't seen myself. The posters would leave me standing I'm afraid. :o :o ;D ;D

Offline lookout

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 09:41:PM »
Knowledgeable as in they think he's innocent?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

This forum is just for debate, it's the OS sites job to campaign.

It's not the OS site.

Offline Jane

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 09:44:PM »
Ignore my last post, it crossed over.

I have noticed that quite a lot of the time, he doesn't debate the actual case, he constantly discusses where other people stand and how they got there which flies in the face of 'debate the case not the person' - sounds like a rule breaker to me!

Yes. Only yesterday, he called you a coward!!!!!!!!!!! and there are constant and spiteful digs at Jan and Lookout, and every time he get the opportunity he says something insulting to Nugs.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 09:49:PM »
Didn't we try several months ago banning posts which weren't strictly relevant to the thread in hand and it did get rather dull. I'd much rather take people warts and all with an appeal to them not to engage in gratuitous invective,which adds nothing to the subject under discussion.

Offline lookout

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 09:51:PM »
Yes. Only yesterday, he called you a coward!!!!!!!!!!! and there are constant and spiteful digs at Jan and Lookout, and every time he get the opportunity he says something insulting to Nugs.

I'd have been banned months ago if I hadn't held back from having a go at him.

Offline Jane

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 10:03:PM »
Didn't we try several months ago banning posts which weren't strictly relevant to the thread in hand and it did get rather dull. I'd much rather take people warts and all with an appeal to them not to engage in gratuitous invective,which adds nothing to the subject under discussion.

Steve, it only works with reasonable people.........................or those who understand gratuitous invective.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 10:03:PM »
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline lookout

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 10:26:PM »
What isn't?

This other forum where I was reading posts.

Offline Strobe

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 09:01:AM »
The forum has been closed, i.e. only visible to registered members, for some time now.  There were several reasons for changing, one being to encourage people genuinely interested in the Bamber case to join.  Another benefit is the reduction of personal attacks on our members elsewhere.  I can see arguments both ways, but if the consensus of members is that we should open the forum again I have no problem with that.  Perhaps we should have a poll.

NGB

Can you explain the reason for blocking search engines. I have noticed that, apart from the login page, nothing whatever from this site shows up in a search.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:12:AM by Strobe »

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 11:29:AM »
NBG

Can you explain the reason for blocking search engines. I have noticed that, apart from the login page, nothing whatever from this site shows up in a search.

We have not deliberately blocked search engines.  It may be an unforseen consequence of closing the forum to non members.

Neil

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 12:01:PM »
I would be inclined to go with the opinion of those that moderate, or have moderated in the past, when it comes to deciding whether to open the forum to all. 

For a regular, bog standard member, like myself, it's very easy to ignore the naughty posts .   It's obviously not so easy if you have to try and moderate.

Surely we all know the best way to deal with antagonistic posters, who just about manage to stay on the right side of the rules.....ignore them!

Offline Jane

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 12:08:PM »
I would be inclined to go with the opinion of those that moderate, or have moderated in the past, when it comes to deciding whether to open the forum to all. 

For a regular, bog standard member, like myself, it's very easy to ignore the naughty posts .   It's obviously not so easy if you have to try and moderate.

Surely we all know the best way to deal with antagonistic posters, who just about manage to stay on the right side of the rules.....ignore them!

Unfortunately, those whose agenda it is to cause disruption will find a way.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 12:43:PM »

This other forum where I was reading posts.

I know you weren't referring to the OS because it's not a forum. I said it was their intention to campaign but not the intention of the forum.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 12:56:PM »

I agree and there is a 'block' option which I prefer to use.. However, regardless of whether I chose to read their rubbish someone else might want to reply and when they quote the post it becomes visible. So, when you find that some waste of space no mark (who's posts you can't be bothered to read anyway) had called you 'weak and naive', you feel like kicking it into next week - failing that - telling the little creep where to get off. Skirting around the rules is still breaking them.