Author Topic: What Is The Long Term Answer To This Ongoing Problem?  (Read 10540 times)

Offline Jane

What Is The Long Term Answer To This Ongoing Problem?
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:06:PM »
I'm never sure that hiding something is a good way of solving a problem. It's more likely to cause it to fester. We have ignored it on previous occasions and each time it returns more venomously.

Few of us can claim innocence of occasionally sniping in heated moments but these occasions tend to be unplanned and spontaneous. I don't imagine we plan our posts round throwing in as much sly innuendo and insults as possible against other posters simply for the malicious pleasure of doing it. Surely it would be against forum rules to do that.

Offline Steve_uk

Re: What Is The Long Term Answer To This Ongoing Problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:36:PM »
I'm never sure that hiding something is a good way of solving a problem. It's more likely to cause it to fester. We have ignored it on previous occasions and each time it returns more venomously.

Few of us can claim innocence of occasionally sniping in heated moments but these occasions tend to be unplanned and spontaneous. I don't imagine we plan our posts round throwing in as much sly innuendo and insults as possible against other posters simply for the malicious pleasure of doing it. Surely it would be against forum rules to do that.
I think it's probably better to stick to facts rather than name people in a thread,unless you know them from the forum already. On maybe a related matter do members think the forum should be closed off or are we possibly missing some passing trade?

Offline Jane

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:51:PM »
I think it's probably better to stick to facts rather than name people in a thread,unless you know them from the forum already. On maybe a related matter do members think the forum should be closed off or are we possibly missing some passing trade?

Steve, if one is speaking TO another poster I feel it's courteous to address them by name, but that wasn't actually what I was referring to. I think, prior to joining, I was able to read SOME of the forum. Is that no longer possible for non members?

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:10:PM »
Steve, if one is speaking TO another poster I feel it's courteous to address them by name, but that wasn't actually what I was referring to. I think, prior to joining, I was able to read SOME of the forum. Is that no longer possible for non members?
Well I do think we are missing input by the site being closed off though it's undoubtedly easier for the Moderators,who have a difficult enough job to do.

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 10:26:AM »

The forum has been closed, i.e. only visible to registered members, for some time now.  There were several reasons for changing, one being to encourage people genuinely interested in the Bamber case to join.  Another benefit is the reduction of personal attacks on our members elsewhere.  I can see arguments both ways, but if the consensus of members is that we should open the forum again I have no problem with that.  Perhaps we should have a poll. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:08:PM by ngb1066 »

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:20:PM »
yes i think we should have a poll

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:07:PM »
yes i think we should have a poll
Yes I would like to know how many members we have who are actively posting and how many may be regarded as "lapsed". I would have thought we were all grown up enough by now to fend off personal attacks (heaven knows I had enough on Betnod),though admittedly this would create extra work for moderators having to remove offending posts. I do feel we are in danger of becoming a clique and missing out on contributions from outside as well as our posts being read by a couple of hundred,when in the old days they could attract views in the thousands.

Offline Jane

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 08:22:PM »
Yes I would like to know how many members we have who are actively posting and how many may be regarded as "lapsed". I would have thought we were all grown up enough by now to fend off personal attacks (heaven knows I had enough on Betnod),though admittedly this would create extra work for moderators having to remove offending posts. I do feel we are in danger of becoming a clique and missing out on contributions from outside as well as our posts being read by a couple of hundred,when in the old days they could attract views in the thousands.

Steve, I do agree. However I'm inclined to think that without new opinions, whatever they may be, there's the danger of going round in circles and stagnating................not to mention, sniping, as opposed to cliquing!!!!

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 08:26:PM »
Steve, I do agree. However I'm inclined to think that without new opinions, whatever they may be, there's the danger of going round in circles and stagnating................not to mention, sniping, as opposed to cliquing!!!!
I agree Steve, I know it leaves us open to attack, Jane but I think it's good to attract new thoughts and opinions to stimulate debate.   We do tend to get bogged down and go round in circles anyway. :'(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:27:PM by maggie »

Offline lookout

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 09:16:PM »
There's some great debate on another forum and one of the posters has just mentioned this forum " where" all the information is" but they can't log in as it's members only ". I've followed their posts and they're very good and appear knowledgeable about the case.
This poster continued to say that he/she thought it" strange that it was assumed that the basic idea was to raise awareness of a miscarriage of justice ".

Offline Caroline

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 09:17:PM »
I prefer the closed forum - if people are genuinely interested, they will join. An open forum attracts idiots. However, I don't think Jane's original post was a comment on an open or closed forum - or did I read it wrong?
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Caroline

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 09:19:PM »
There's some great debate on another forum and one of the posters has just mentioned this forum " where" all the information is" but they can't log in as it's members only ". I've followed their posts and they're very good and appear knowledgeable about the case.
This poster continued to say that he/she thought it" strange that it was assumed that the basic idea was to raise awareness of a miscarriage of justice ".

Knowledgeable as in they think he's innocent?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

This forum is just for debate, it's the OS sites job to campaign.

Offline Jane

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 09:28:PM »
I prefer the closed forum - if people are genuinely interested, they will join. An open forum attracts idiots. However, I don't think Jane's original post was a comment on an open or closed forum - or did I read it wrong?

No Caroline, it wasn't -it became sidetracked- it was actually about Adam's behaviour which is getting more and more unacceptable because, as I see it, because he thinks he's within forum rules, he's untouchable. I'm fairly sure it isn't within forum rules to insult other members, by name, when the only cause appears to be the joy of doing it and getting away with it. Perhaps there should be a poll to find out if members think this sort of behaviour is acceptable.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 09:28:PM »

Are you talking about 'censoring' after the fact?

Offline Caroline

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 09:32:PM »
No Caroline, it wasn't -it became sidetracked- it was actually about Adam's behaviour which is getting more and more unacceptable because, as I see it, because he thinks he's within forum rules, he's untouchable. I'm fairly sure it isn't within forum rules to insult other members, by name, when the only cause appears to be the joy of doing it and getting away with it. Perhaps there should be a poll to find out if members think this sort of behaviour is acceptable.

Ignore my last post, it crossed over.

I have noticed that quite a lot of the time, he doesn't debate the actual case, he constantly discusses where other people stand and how they got there which flies in the face of 'debate the case not the person' - sounds like a rule breaker to me!