Author Topic: ansering machines in the 80s  (Read 2584 times)

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
ansering machines in the 80s
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:23:AM »
does anybody know weather if you phoned an answering machine in the 80s weather the machine would log your number. i doubt if it would but im not sure.

Offline lookout

Re: ansering machines in the 80s
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:33:AM »
 I don't see why not,as it already gives the caller anyway whose number is then traceable if you see what I mean. Not sure if it was the ancient version of the voice-mail.

Mr. Gee

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:40:AM »
does anybody know weather if you phoned an answering machine in the 80s weather the machine would log your number. i doubt if it would but im not sure.
I'm almost sure they did not. The reason I say that it that someone I know received a threatening phone call and the couldn't trace the number. The answering machines in thise days were mechanical and had tapes instead of digital recording devices.

Offline lookout

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 11:44:AM »
 Unless it was a withheld number,I can remember the operator giving the number of the last caller.
Perhaps here in the North-West,we might have been a bit more advanced with being the hub of a telecommunications system a few miles away ?

Offline lookout

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 11:47:AM »
I do remember that in 1985,the guy next door had a mobile phone ( the size and weight of a brick ) but nevertheless,we had a pretty good system. Technology was already speeding along.

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 11:49:AM »
maybe cav can help us here.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 12:31:PM »

I don't think they did because didn't the message usually ask the caller to 'leave their name and number after the tone'?
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline nugnug

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 12:35:PM »
yes thats what i was thinking.

Offline TheBrilliantMistake

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 06:38:AM »
No. In those days most of them were actually on a tape (like a cassette tape). It would auto answer an incoming call and record their message.
JB had one which was alleged to facilitate him answering the phone from Goldhanger whilst being at WHF. The idea being he just swapped the tape when her got home this removing any record of a blank call from WHF.

Some digital machines were available at this time (no tape) but these were quite rare.

Offline lookout

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 11:33:AM »
I had read that EP had collected said tape. I suppose that also is under lock and key, or burned !

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 06:37:PM »
No need to.
IF JB did it, load with blank tape, let it answer the call, then destroy the tape and replace with original which then appear as the call was not answered automatically. The police would have worked that out in 30 seconds. Impossible to prove or refute.

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 07:01:PM »
He had the foresight to get a blank tape then. I never had a spare tape.

Offline lookout

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 07:17:PM »
I doubt that he'd have had another tape.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 07:22:PM »
He had the foresight to get a blank tape then. I never had a spare tape.

If he planned it, as is the prosecution's case, then he was also rather fortunate in the sense that police didn't initially have reason to doubt him, and allowed vital evidence and opportunity to slip through their hands.

Had Nevill managed to inflict a wound, it might all have fallen apart rapidly.

It seems to be the general consensus that Nevill did battle with his assailant, but it is not necessarily so. He may well have just taken a beating and the kitchen upturned to suggest a frenzied battle. Neither Sheila nor Jeremy showed any significant signs of a fight, and Sheila demonstrably so.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 07:31:PM »
I doubt that he'd have had another tape.

If he planned it, then if course he would. His whole alibi rested on the phone call being the catalyst for what came after. In order to answer the call, an answering machine or accomplice would be necessary.
Now, I accept you dont think he did it, but if he did, its blindingly obvious some planning would be needed not least how to answer the call!