Author Topic: COLP interview of Robert Boutflour, dated 4th September 1991, 45 Pages:-  (Read 16031 times)

Offline Caroline

Alzheimers can take years to develop even before the disease is actually diagnosed.

Of course it can, but you don't but IF he had it for almost 20 years, the onset was slow and NO ONE here is qualified to diagnose RWB in respect to to Alzheimers  and it has no bearing on the case whatsoever!
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Jane

It was something I'd pondered a few years ago myself that RWB had a problem, especially by the stance of his pic. at the funeral as you can clearly see it in some people as the disease advances.
In our 40's, we can all experience our times of forgetfulness then 30 years later that could become more than just forgetting the odd thing so it's highly possible to suffer full-blown alzheimers as the brain loses its ability to contain present day occurrences so it struggles to remember.
Frustration can push them towards violence as I've encountered in the past.
Alzheimers can take years to develop even before the disease is actually diagnosed.

Indeed it can, but by the time it's diagnosed in a patient, their friends/relatives can probably not recall behavioural changes in them going back more than a few years. I've not known anyone to have it for 20 years -which is what's being suggested- and I suspect, that if it's not being mooted that all of us over the age of 40 have a degree of dementia? there may be more than a little wishful thinking behind it.

Offline Caroline

Indeed it can, but by the time it's diagnosed in a patient, their friends/relatives can probably not recall behavioural changes in them going back more than a few years. I've not known anyone to have it for 20 years -which is what's being suggested- and I suspect, that if it's not being mooted that all of us over the age of 40 have a degree of dementia? there may be more than a little wishful thinking behind it.

Generally, it's 8-9 years and making this assumption is totally desperate.

Offline lookout

Those who are living with someone who has undiagnosed alzheimers are more often than not in denial and put a lot down to getting older. In fact alzheimers doesn't often feature in the life of their loved one and they just carry on regardless.

Similarly, PND can lie dormant for many years too and also go undiagnosed until it's too late dependent on a person's lifestyle and how it could be masked by unnecessary medications.It's not always admissible by the person involved because they don't know what's happening to themselves. What is known is that when left undiagnosed it manifests itself into something more serious. 

Offline Caroline

Those who are living with someone who has undiagnosed alzheimers are more often than not in denial and put a lot down to getting older. In fact alzheimers doesn't often feature in the life of their loved one and they just carry on regardless.

Similarly, PND can lie dormant for many years too and also go undiagnosed until it's too late dependent on a person's lifestyle and how it could be masked by unnecessary medications.It's not always admissible by the person involved because they don't know what's happening to themselves. What is known is that when left undiagnosed it manifests itself into something more serious.

19 years prior to his death from Alzheimers, if he has symptoms, they would be mild. However, I thought RWB was supposed to be a cunning old bar steward who was responsible for engineering the whole case around Jeremy Bamber? Thought his diary was the blue print?

Offline Jane

To say that those are in denial who are living with someone in the early stages of Alzheimers is grossly unfair, however, I'll accept that they may believe that little quirks are part of getting older. It's only 'after the event' that they can recognize what the 'oddities' were. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You've floated the PND theory for years -and I'm more than prepared to accept that sensitive, 17 year old Sheila, rather than being made to act as if nothing had happened worth mentioning, should have received counselling following her first termination- but as you've never suggested at what point you believe it set in, I'm not prepared to accept that it went back 10 years prior to erupting violently, and whilst she probably had every reason to be depressed, I don't believe PND reared it's head 6 years after she last gave birth. Whilst it's always possible that it CAN lay dormant and undiagnosed for years -after all, everything is possible- the probabilities lean more towards that it didn't.

Offline Caroline

To say that those are in denial who are living with someone in the early stages of Alzheimers is grossly unfair, however, I'll accept that they may believe that little quirks are part of getting older. It's only 'after the event' that they can recognize what the 'oddities' were. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You've floated the PND theory for years -and I'm more than prepared to accept that sensitive, 17 year old Sheila, rather than being made to act as if nothing had happened worth mentioning, should have received counselling following her first termination- but as you've never suggested at what point you believe it set in, I'm not prepared to accept that it went back 10 years prior to erupting violently, and whilst she probably had every reason to be depressed, I don't believe PND reared it's head 6 years after she last gave birth. Whilst it's always possible that it CAN lay dormant and undiagnosed for years -after all, everything is possible- the probabilities lean more towards that it didn't.

I don't buy that it lays dormant for years, I think it can cause long term issues but not that it lays dormant for years.

Offline lookout

I know someone who had PND for 17 years ( 1st diagnosis 3 years ago ) Because it went undiagnosed it led to paranoia pre-menopause and she was duly hospitalized for over 3 months.

Offline Jane

I know someone who had PND for 17 years ( 1st diagnosis 3 years ago ) Because it went undiagnosed it led to paranoia pre-menopause and she was duly hospitalized for over 3 months.

As I previously said, everything is possible, the probability makes the odds very much longer. Of course, it's perfectly possible that the sight of her children and parents being slaughtered would have tipped her already fragile mental balance over the edge, but we'll never know.

Offline Caroline

So how is being undiagnosed the same as the condition being 'dormant'?

Offline lookout

So how is being undiagnosed the same as the condition being 'dormant'?

Undiagnosed/dormant are one and the same. Undiagnosed because the person wasn't aware of what was wrong but continued with the problem. Dormant because of the 17 years it had been making the person suffer because she didn't speak to a GP or anyone about it. 

Offline Jane

Undiagnosed/dormant are one and the same. Undiagnosed because the person wasn't aware of what was wrong but continued with the problem. Dormant because of the 17 years it had been making the person suffer because she didn't speak to a GP or anyone about it.

She had suffered for 17 years without seeking help?

Offline Caroline

No they aren't!  ;D ;D

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/dormant

Dormant means 'inactive' - they wouldn't be showing signs of the symptoms - that's the point!

Offline David1819

As far as I know, The causes, triggers and the duration of the decease in a healthy person is still poorly understood by medical science. With the exception of drug or alcohol induced alzheimer's and I don't think that applies to RWB. So I don't think there is much point us debating the condition.

Offline Caroline

As far as I know, The causes, triggers and the duration of the decease in a healthy person is still poorly understood by medical science. With the exception of drug or alcohol induced alzheimer's and I don't think that applies to RWB. So I don't think there is much point us debating the condition.

Then you shouldn't have made the claim.