Author Topic: The murder of 14 year-old schoolgirl Jodi Jones near Edinburgh on 30 June 2003  (Read 311071 times)

Offline gordo30

I believe this case was in 2002? Mobile phone forensics was in it's infancy and so I would assume in the early days some data extraction would be carried out by police officers. I think Joe Copper would receive training.

No joe copper wouldn’t have been trained to do anything! That should have been bagged and tagged and sent off to forensics as he had used it very soon after he supposedly murdered Jodi. This was most probably a push button phone and hard to clean forensically.

I am wondering if it had been sent off for testing and what results came from that phone .

Offline Bullseye

Any news on the launch of Long Road to Justice?

Offline gordo30

Nothing concrete, you can register and navigate the site but nothing active atm

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
isnt a bit strange jodi used her mums sim card insted of her own was she in that much of a hurry to send a text.

Offline Bullseye

isnt a bit strange jodi used her mums sim card insted of her own was she in that much of a hurry to send a text.

Maybe she was going out and wanted to txt Luke to say she would be down later?

I just believe she would be meeting Luke after 1730 at their usual time and she was going somewhere first before heading to Luke’s, if she did in fact leave at 1650

But nothing at all to prove or disprove this

Offline Caroline

No joe copper wouldn’t have been trained to do anything! That should have been bagged and tagged and sent off to forensics as he had used it very soon after he supposedly murdered Jodi. This was most probably a push button phone and hard to clean forensically.

I am wondering if it had been sent off for testing and what results came from that phone .

Of course police are trained in basic forensic analysis! Testing the actual phone for trace evidence would simply tell you the phone had been used by Luke, unless Jodie's blood was on it - however, the lack of such doesn't mean he didn't kill her. You don't need to be an expert in phone forensics (and they would have been few and far between in 2002), to check for text messages. One thing forensics do like to do, is make sure the phone isn't switched off so they have limited time to look through the data.

I can't see why the police would delete the messages and don't believe they did.

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
Maybe she was going out and wanted to txt Luke to say she would be down later?

I just believe she would be meeting Luke after 1730 at their usual time and she was going somewhere first before heading to Luke’s, if she did in fact leave at 1650

But nothing at all to prove or disprove this

i just wonder why she was in that much of a hurry that she dident change the sim card.

Offline Caroline

i just wonder why she was in that much of a hurry that she dident change the sim card.

Why does that mean she was in a hurry? Her sim may not have fitted her mothers phone or there may have been no money on it. It does explain why the texts were deleted though.

Offline Bullseye

Why does that mean she was in a hurry? Her sim may not have fitted her mothers phone or there may have been no money on it. It does explain why the texts were deleted though.

Or could just be her mum was using it too and told here to be quick with it. Either way she sent a couple of text and I assume deleted them right away so her mum did not see them.

Offline nugnug

well it seems to have fitted it at other times

Offline Caroline

well it seems to have fitted it at other times

Not much use if it's not topped up!

Offline gordo30

Of course police are trained in basic forensic analysis! Testing the actual phone for trace evidence would simply tell you the phone had been used by Luke, unless Jodie's blood was on it - however, the lack of such doesn't mean he didn't kill her. You don't need to be an expert in phone forensics (and they would have been few and far between in 2002), to check for text messages. One thing forensics do like to do, is make sure the phone isn't switched off so they have limited time to look through the data.

I can't see why the police would delete the messages and don't believe they did.

Please read back what you have said! You really think every copper has some training in mobile data and how to extract it from phones that change at that time almost monthly! This should have went to forensics to be tested, the aim taken out and given to the RELEVANT department to extract was was needed.

Offline gordo30

This was the same force that allowed the body to be moved, allowed it uncovered overnight,allowed many people to circumvent the crime scene. Allow contaminated articles to be misdescribed!! You still think joe copper back then was trained in every aspect of forensic detail , ffs!!

Offline Caroline

Please read back what you have said! You really think every copper has some training in mobile data and how to extract it from phones that change at that time almost monthly! This should have went to forensics to be tested, the aim taken out and given to the RELEVANT department to extract was was needed.

Every copper didn't extract the data, it just takes one, it's simply connected to a machine and the data is downloaded. Not rocket science - the police can and DO extract phone data https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5558511/Police-download-phones-data-minutes-NO-warrant.html

Offline Caroline

This was the same force that allowed the body to be moved, allowed it uncovered overnight,allowed many people to circumvent the crime scene. Allow contaminated articles to be misdescribed!! You still think joe copper back then was trained in every aspect of forensic detail , ffs!!

I said trained in BASIC forensic methods!!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:08:PM by Caroline »