Author Topic: Capt. Jeffrey Mcdonald  (Read 2371 times)

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
Re: Capt. Jeffrey Mcdonald
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2020, 12:12:PM »

Offline Roch

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 12:14:PM »
The blood groupings also contradict his version of events. One of his daughters was killed in the main bedroom and her body was then carried and placed on her bed in her bedroom. There was non of Jeffrey MacDonalds blood in the living room where he claimed to have been attacked and stabbed. There was however his blood in the bathroom.

Also the Esquire magazine found in the living room -

“The investigators were struck by similarities between MacDonald’s account of murderous intruders and the Esquire magazine’s articles about the Manson murders and other cult-like activities. For example, the magazine contained many references to blonds, burning candles, and use of the words “acid” and “groovy.” In the Manson murders, the victims were mutilated and the word “PIG” was allegedly smeared on a wall in the victims’ blood. Those and other pertinent passages from Esquire were read into the record during MacDonald’s trial.”

Re the Manson Family killings, have you ever read Helter Skelter?  One of the best books I ever read. I found the narrative gripping and the book is jam packed with images of the protagonists etc. Mind you, it's probably a very biased account, given that it was written by the prosecutor.

Offline QCChevalier

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 12:41:PM »
Re the Manson Family killings, have you ever read Helter Skelter?  One of the best books I ever read. I found the narrative gripping and the book is jam packed with images of the protagonists etc. Mind you, it's probably a very biased account, given that it was written by the prosecutor.

Without wishing to take the thread off-course, I would just mention that the defence attorney in that case was reportedly very good, notwithstanding that the defendants were convicted.

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 02:46:PM »

No I haven’t read it. I do plan on reading “fatal vision” the book about this case.

Offline Roch

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 03:09:PM »

No I haven’t read it. I do plan on reading “fatal vision” the book about this case.

Re Helter Skelter - I know it's a cliché but I couldn't put it down.

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2020, 04:32:PM »
Another interesting aspect of this case is that after a year in prison. His conviction was overturned on appeal. Jeffrey MacDonald was a free man for 18 months, until the supreme court overturned the appeal and his conviction was re-instated.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:33:PM by David1819 »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2020, 07:44:PM »
There's at least one thread on this case already: http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4236.0.html

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2020, 07:59:PM »
There's at least one thread on this case already: http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4236.0.html

I have merged the threads.

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
    • Trial related photographs
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2020, 12:28:PM »
No single factor, but the totality of the evidence.  I read into the case a few years ago and I think overall that the evidence is overwhelming.  The evidence at trial about the holes in the pygamas was persuasive.  Also MacDonald's inconsistent accounts and his abysmal performance on the Dick Cavett show persuaded me that he was lying.  I believe he committed the crime in a rage when high on amphetamines.  He has no chance of winning an appeal - the US system imposes a much higher hurdle for criminal appeals than the UK.  He will never be released.
Im halfway through the book (Audible) Fatal Vision, must say it’s a fascinating case, like you said the Pyjamas top is quite compelling, the first thing that struck me is when he said “He pulled the knife out of his wife’s body” a trained Psychian wouldn’t have done that, pulling the knife out would cause more injuries and leaving the knife in helps stem blood flow, unless of Course you want to put your finger prints on it?

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2020, 03:01:PM »
Helena Stoeckleys claims are very similar to Julie Mugfords. In that her version contradicts the crime scene and she implicated people who could not have been there.

This is from MacDonalds 2017 appeal ruling.

“Much of MacDonald’s focus has been on self- incriminating statements that Stoeckley continued to make after the 1979 trial, up to her death in early 1983 from pneumonia and hepatitis-related cirrhosis of the liver. In some of those varying statements, Stoeckley implicated Allen Mazerolle, i.e., the cross- necklace-wearing Stoeckley associate depicted in MacDonald’s 1979 police sketch and named by the defense at trial as a likely perpetrator. Significantly, however, by the time the district court denied MacDonald’s first postconviction motion in 1985, it had been established that Mazerolle was in jail at the time of the murders and could not have been one of MacDonald’s alleged intruders.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:03:PM by David1819 »

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2020, 04:04:PM »
Helena Stoeckleys claims are very similar to Julie Mugfords. In that her version contradicts the crime scene and she implicated people who could not have been there.

This is from MacDonalds 2017 appeal ruling.

“Much of MacDonald’s focus has been on self- incriminating statements that Stoeckley continued to make after the 1979 trial, up to her death in early 1983 from pneumonia and hepatitis-related cirrhosis of the liver. In some of those varying statements, Stoeckley implicated Allen Mazerolle, i.e., the cross- necklace-wearing Stoeckley associate depicted in MacDonald’s 1979 police sketch and named by the defense at trial as a likely perpetrator. Significantly, however, by the time the district court denied MacDonald’s first postconviction motion in 1985, it had been established that Mazerolle was in jail at the time of the murders and could not have been one of MacDonald’s alleged intruders.
Have you seen this site.

http://www.thejeffreymacdonaldcase.com/html/parolehearing.html

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2020, 09:05:PM »

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2020, 04:56:PM »
Yeah, I have read a few documents from it.
First I’ve heard today that he actually failed the lie detector test, it came out during his Law suit against Mcginniss who wrote Fatal Vision.  Although McDonald won the Law suit £325,000 in damages, he only got £50,000 of this, he would have got much more if he hadn’t taken out the Law Suit, he forfeited his commission in books sales.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-08-12-me-427-story.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:59:PM by Real Justice »

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2020, 06:07:PM »
First I’ve heard today that he actually failed the lie detector test, it came out during his Law suit against Mcginniss who wrote Fatal Vision.  Although McDonald won the Law suit £325,000 in damages, he only got £50,000 of this, he would have got much more if he hadn’t taken out the Law Suit, he forfeited his commission in books sales.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-08-12-me-427-story.html

If I remember correctly. MacDonald had also refused to take a polygraph pre his 1979 trial.

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:PM »
If I remember correctly. MacDonald had also refused to take a polygraph pre his 1979 trial.
This is a good site.

He also refused to take the truth serum that was offered, this would help him recollect what happened, but he refused.

http://www.themacdonaldcase.com/html/mmt.html