Author Topic: Giovanni di Stefano Jailed  (Read 4554 times)

Offline newsman

Giovanni di Stefano Jailed
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:PM »
Looks like Giovanni di Stefano Jeremy's old lawyer has been jailed for 14 years.

This is this is the link to the article

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/bogus-lawyer-giovanni-di-stefano-jailed-for-14-years-8553223.html?

If the link stops working here is the text

Bogus 'lawyer' Giovanni di Stefano jailed for 14 years

A self-styled lawyer was sentenced to a total of 14 years for a series of frauds on “desperate and vulnerable victims” whom he tricked into thinking he was a bona fide legal professional.

Giovanni di Stefano, 57, who became known as the Devil's Advocate for taking on "unwinnable" cases, was convicted on 25 charges including deception, fraud and money laundering between 2001 and 2011 at London's Southwark Crown Court.

Today he pleaded guilty to another two counts of fraud and a further three counts were ordered to lie on file.

Judge Alistair McCreath, the Recorder of Westminster, noted there were many offences over significant periods of time.

The fact the victims, which included a disabled man seeking damages for the loss of an arm, were all "desperate and vulnerable" and faced losses which were not just financial but also included the "raising and dashing of false hope" were aggravating factors, the judge said.

He conned clients out of millions of pounds by setting himself up as a lawyer when he had no legal qualifications and was not registered to work as a lawyer in Italy or the UK.

He used the Italian word "avvocato" on business cards, letterheads and identification documents to give clients - and the judiciary - the impression he was an advocate.

In a loud voice di Stefano told the judge "I am obliged, my Lord" as he stepped out of the dock.

The judge told di Stefano: "I recognise that you did not actively seek out those whom you defrauded. They came to you. You did not approach them but there is more than one kind of predator.

"Some predators hunt down their victims, others lie in wait for them.

"Your victims in this case were all desperate people and people who, because of their desperation, were vulnerable."

The judge also noted that, while this case is about money, "it is also about something different and great - it is about the real distress you caused to so many people".

"You had no regard for them nor for their anguish," he said. "Your only concern was to line your own pockets."

guest7363

Re: Giovanni di Stefano Jailed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:00:AM »
Nothing seems to amaze me about this bloke.  Who would want to be an executor to this man?

Shamed lawyer Giovanni di Stefano, who is understood to be an executor of Brady's will, has said he also amassed a personal fortune of around £100,000, mainly from donated gifts sent to him by sick fans.

Di Stefano, who is himself serving time for fraud, said: 'It is largely from morbid well-wishers fascinated by Brady's notoriety.

Offline lookout

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:24:AM »
 Brady's will ??   

guest7363

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06:22:PM »

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06:41:PM »
Notwithstanding various allegations or indeed facts in his other activities,  I quite liked his appearance in one of the Bamber documentaries.  I thought he had an effective screen presence for the scant time he was afforded. 

In one scene, he was depicted holding a booklet of crime scene photographs.   

Offline lookout

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 07:51:PM »
Yes I'm afraid people have sent him money, sick isn't it.   

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4510796/Ian-Brady-cost-taxpayers-8MILLION-psychiatric-bills.html

Yes,I've read about it today. It should go back into the coffers of the NHS and he should be put through a mincer !
How can the powers that be let this happen ?

guest7363

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:26:PM »
Notwithstanding various allegations or indeed facts in his other activities,  I quite liked his appearance in one of the Bamber documentaries.  I thought he had an effective screen presence for the scant time he was afforded. 

Yes, people who dupe others have this appearance, how else do they get away with what they get away with? You either get taken in or you see through them.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:40:PM »

Possibly the ones that were enhanced.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 09:43:PM »
Possibly the ones that were enhanced.

Which crime scene photos were enhanced and in what way where they enhanced?

Offline Caroline

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 09:48:PM »
Which crime scene photos were enhanced and in what way where they enhanced?

From this

To this

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53:PM »
Even if the second photo was definitely a copy of the first, the blood stemming from one of the wounds is clearly wet in both photos.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 09:55:PM »
Even if the second photo was definitely a copy of the first, the blood stemming from one of the wounds is clearly wet in both photos.

Then how come it is dried and cracked around her mouth? There is no fresh blood around her mouth which proves she hadn't drawn breath for some time.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 10:16:PM »

Then how come it is dried and cracked around her mouth? There is no fresh blood around her mouth which proves she hadn't drawn breath for some time.

It's not possible to tell that it's the same photo in each image. The mouth isn't shown in the second image - because it's a close up. 

Offline Caroline

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 10:53:PM »
It's not possible to tell that it's the same photo in each image. The mouth isn't shown in the second image - because it's a close up.

The mouth isn't shown in th second picture for good reason - because whoever enhanced t, didn't want the dried blood from around her mouth to be shown. It kind of gives the game away.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 10:59:PM »
The mouth isn't shown in th second picture for good reason - because whoever enhanced t, didn't want the dried blood from around her mouth to be shown. It kind of gives the game away.

The throat blood is wet in both photos.  It is the wet blood that is controversial.  I dont see how focussing on that is giving any game away.  If the wet blood was caused by plugs having become dislodged - then the police shouldn't have kept moving her around (which SOC clearly did - according to the TFG).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:00:PM by Roch »