Author Topic: The case of Madeleine McCann  (Read 580598 times)

guest154

Re: The case of Madeleine McCann
« Reply #930 on: July 19, 2012, 04:24:PM »
I think it was natural for the McCanns to fall under suspicion. People jsut do not understand how parents could leave their children in a hotel room - it doesn't add up logically.

Offline susan

« Reply #931 on: July 19, 2012, 05:10:PM »
Hi Mat I have always wondered why they left Maddie alone as it would appear the complex offered baby sitting service free of charge and for peace of mind they could have used the service.  They are certainly suffering now and will do till the end of their days I think. :(

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #932 on: July 19, 2012, 05:28:PM »
I think it was natural for the McCanns to fall under suspicion. People jsut do not understand how parents could leave their children in a hotel room - it doesn't add up logically.
Mat, lot's of people leave their sleeping children in hotel rooms, or did before this event. Rightly or wongly, I knew lots of people who did when my children where small.

guest154

« Reply #933 on: July 19, 2012, 05:31:PM »
I don't think it is the what the majority do though, which is why the McCanns came under fire, people were repulsed.

I can't imagine leaving my son in a hotel room whilst I went out to eat with friends, I just wouldn't do it.

Offline susan

« Reply #934 on: July 19, 2012, 05:38:PM »
Hi Mags  I could never have left my son on his own the only person I ever did leave him with was my own Mother because I knew if he woke up he would feel safe but we are all different :)

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #935 on: July 19, 2012, 05:40:PM »
I don't think it is the what the majority do though, which is why the McCanns came under fire, people were repulsed.

I can't imagine leaving my son in a hotel room whilst I went out to eat with friends, I just wouldn't do it.
I agree with you when I was in a hotel when my children were small if I went out of the room I had a baby listening device even if I was using the hotel baby sitting service but many people would leave their children in a hotel bedroom while they ate etc.,, just checking on them every so often.  Times have changed since then and most people didn't see anything wrong with it.  I wa a fusspot with my kids compared to most.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:41:PM by maggie »

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #936 on: July 19, 2012, 05:48:PM »
Hi Mags  I could never have left my son on his own the only person I ever did leave him with was my own Mother because I knew if he woke up he would feel safe but we are all different :)
I know susie, I always worried about them waking up with me not  there, but honestly I used to go on weekend breaks with loads of other people with babies etc., they used to leave them asleep in their rooms while they went and ate dinner, had drinks etc.  I think a lot of people pretended later after the McCann case that they didn't but loads of people did.

Offline susan

« Reply #937 on: July 19, 2012, 05:55:PM »
Hi Mags  I know what you mean I use to go on a "girls night out" and we would be in the pub till closing time one of the girls was a single Mother and she use to leave her small daughter home alone asleep I once asked her what would happen if the child woke up she said oh she wont do that.  Of course now you would be, quite rightly so, be prosecuted  for such a thing.  The thoughts of leaving my boy alone gives me goose bumps even now.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #938 on: July 19, 2012, 06:00:PM »
Hi Mags  I know what you mean I use to go on a "girls night out" and we would be in the pub till closing time one of the girls was a single Mother and she use to leave her small daughter home alone asleep I once asked her what would happen if the child woke up she said oh she wont do that.  Of course now you would be, quite rightly so, be prosecuted  for such a thing.  The thoughts of leaving my boy alone gives me goose bumps even now.
I know susie, that's really awful, but I suppose people did it.

Neil

« Reply #939 on: July 19, 2012, 06:39:PM »
Back in the day at British holiday camps, parents would get their children off to sleep and head off to the entertainment centre for a drink.  Staff would patrol the chalets and if they heard children crying inside, the chalet number would come up on a display in the entertainment hall, to alert the parents. 

The McCanns apartment was within sight of the bar they were eating/drinking at.  My guess is that the abducter knew the McCanns routine and took their opportunity.  I found the treatment that they received after Maddies disappearance, very unsavory.  I can't imagine the stress that they must have been under.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #940 on: July 19, 2012, 06:52:PM »
Back in the day at British holiday camps, parents would get their children off to sleep and head off to the entertainment centre for a drink.  Staff would patrol the chalets and if they heard children crying inside, the chalet number would come up on a display in the entertainment hall, to alert the parents. 

The McCanns apartment was within sight of the bar they were eating/drinking at.  My guess is that the abducter knew the McCanns routine and took their opportunity.  I found the treatment that they received after Maddies disappearance, very unsavory.  I can't imagine the stress that they must have been under.
It's true Neil, at least they could see the apartment, when in a dining room or bar at an hotel you couldn't even see the room, it could be miles way.  No one thought, there may be a fire nevermind someone creeping in through a patio door or something and pinching them.
It is sadly, because of the dissappearance of Madeleine McCann that we are now so much more aware. 

Neil

« Reply #941 on: July 19, 2012, 07:17:PM »
It's true Neil, at least they could see the apartment, when in a dining room or bar at an hotel you couldn't even see the room, it could be miles way.  No one thought, there may be a fire nevermind someone creeping in through a patio door or something and pinching them.
It is sadly, because of the dissappearance of Madeleine McCann that we are now so much more aware.
Quite right Maggie, I bet no one would dare leave their kids in such circumstances after that.  I couldn't leave my kids like that, just because I would feel really mean. 

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #942 on: July 19, 2012, 07:20:PM »
Quite right Maggie, I bet no one would dare leave their kids in such circumstances after that.  I couldn't leave my kids like that, just because I would feel really mean.
Yes, Neil the thought of them waking up in a strange room on their own worried me too much, I do feel for the McCann's and anyone else it has happened to, it's the worst possible nightmare.

guest154

« Reply #943 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11:PM »
Although they could see the apartment, they couldn't see all angles of the complex and they couldn't see the room in which the children where in.

To me it seems like looknig at your front door and waiting for something to happen, when all along you've left the back door out of view.

Neil

« Reply #944 on: July 19, 2012, 08:34:PM »
Although they could see the apartment, they couldn't see all angles of the complex and they couldn't see the room in which the children where in.

To me it seems like looknig at your front door and waiting for something to happen, when all along you've left the back door out of view.
Of course you are right Mat but physiologically, perhaps being able to see the apartment gave them a false sense of security.