Author Topic: All press articles under this topic  (Read 10549 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
Re: All press archives under this topic
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 02:53:PM »
Sunday Times Magazine July 2010
Who killed Bambi?

July 11th 2010

A very in depth article including new photos by David James Smith who visited Jeremy in prison as seen in Sunday Times Magazine July 11th, 2010 Who killed Bambi?

Twenty-five years ago Jeremy Bamber was jailed for life for murdering his family. In his first face-to-face prison interview, he discloses disturbing new evidence Tuesday was not a normal day for ordinary visitors, so the visiting room at HMP Full Sutton, a high-security prison just outside York, was deserted as the door opened at the far end of the room and a lone prisoner entered. I had been offered any seat in the house, but had already decided we would sit in the private conference room just off the main area, with the low table and the chairs – all bolted to the floor....

View the pdf link here for the full article.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:55:PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 02:59:PM »
Mail Online 5 August 2010

'My daughter's gone berserk': 'Missing' police evidence could clear Jeremy Bamber over farmhouse family massacre

By Stephen Wright
5th August 2010

New evidence unearthed by mass murderer Jeremy Bamber could result in the Court of Appeal quashing his conviction for killing five relatives, it was claimed yesterday.

Lawyers are examining two ‘lost’ police logs which allegedly suggest the 49-year-old’s sister was behind the 1985 massacre.

Bamber, who has served nearly 25 years for the notorious shootings at White House Farm in the Essex village of Tolleshunt D’Arcy, has always protested his innocence.

He has twice lost appeals against conviction. Now he is set to launch a fresh appeal after asking the Criminal Cases Review Commission to examine the police logs which, he claims, support his story that his sister Sheila Caffell was responsible.

He insists Mrs Caffell, a model known as ‘Bambi’ who suffered from mental illness and was prone to violent outbursts, gunned down the family before turning the weapon on herself.

He also alleges he was the victim of a conspiracy involving relatives and a former girlfriend out to frame him. All deny any wrong-doing.

Detectives insist privately-educated Bamber is a cunning, deluded killer who was rightly convicted because of compelling forensic and circumstantial evidence.

He is one of 38 convicted killers in the country who have been given a whole-life tariff, which means they will never be released.

Bamber’s wealthy adoptive parents Nevill and June, their daughter Mrs Caffell and her six-year-old sons Daniel and Nicholas were shot dead with a .22 Anschutz semi-automatic rifle, which was found in schizophrenic Mrs Caffell’s hands.

The latest twist in Bamber’s quest to prove his innocence came yesterday when it emerged he has found a police log suggesting his father called police saying his daughter had ‘gone berserk’ and ‘got hold of one of my guns’.

The log is timed at 03.26am on the day of the massacre, August 7, 1985.

Titled ‘Daughter gone berserk’, it says: ‘Mr Bamber...White House Farm...daughter Sheila Bamber aged 26 years has got hold of one of my guns.’

Missing log: The document titled, 'Daughter gone berserk', reveals a call was made to police from Mr Bamber stating Sheila had 'got hold of one of my guns'

The memo is similar to another police phone log timed ten minutes later which details a call that Bamber himself made from his home in Goldhanger, three-and-a-half miles from White House Farm.

In that he tells of a call from his father saying Sheila had gone crazy with a gun.

The documents are among 100,000 pieces of paper relating to the case which Bamber has sifted through, helped by lawyers and supporters.

The prosecution at Bamber’s trial said he committed the murders out of greed, hoping to inherit a £500,000 fortune, and that he lied about receiving a call from his 61-year-old father to frame his sister.

Mrs Caffell had referred to her twins as the ‘Devil’s children’ and detectives initially assumed she was behind the killings.

However suspicion fell on Bamber when scratch marks were found on a kitchen shelf above the Aga, allegedly caused by a silencer fitted to the murder weapon.

Gunned down: Jeremy Bamber's parents Neville and June (above), and his sister Sheila with her children Daniel and  Nicholas (below) were murdered in

The silencer was later found in a gun cupboard, and police deduced it would have been impossible for Mrs Caffell to return it there after shooting herself. They concluded Bamber carried out the murders after a violent struggle in the kitchen with his father during which the shelf was scratched.

Bamber, jailed for life in October 1986, last year lost a Court of Appeal challenge against the order that he must die behind bars.

Last month respected crime author David James Smith became the first journalist to interview Bamber in prison and said he found him ‘all too human and understandable’.

Happy family: Jeremy Bamber with his mother June and sister Sheila in the kitchen at the White House farmhouse

‘Except for the part of him that I felt was hidden,’ he added chillingly.

‘The corner of his soul that carried the knowledge of what had really happened that night 25 years ago, and who had really killed his family.

‘He knows the truth. And he is the only person in the world who does.’

Even if Bamber’s conviction is eventually quashed by the Court of Appeal, it is highly likely a re-trial would be ordered because of the seriousness of the case.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:00:PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 03:03:PM »
Mirror 5/08/10
Jeremy Bamber: Missing police phone log could clear Bambi killer - Exclusive

By Jon Clements 5/08/2010

Farmhouse killer Jeremy Bamber could be cleared after the discovery of dramatic new evidence.

Lawyers are examining a “lost” police phone log which they claim proves he was innocent of shooting dead five relatives.

The document backs his story that the 1985 Essex massacre was carried out by his “crazed” sister Sheila, known as Bambi.

Now Bamber, 49, is set to launch a fresh appeal against his life sentence.

One of the logs, previously unseen, suggests Bamber’s father Nevill called police on the night of the massacre at White House Farm in Essex.

The note written on August 7, 1985, is titled “daughter gone berserk” and timed at 3.26am – 10 minutes BEFORE a second note records Bamber’s own distress call.

It states: “Mr Bamber, White House Farm, Tolleshunt d’Arcy – daughter Sheila Bamber, aged 26 years, has got hold of one of my guns.” The message adds that “Mr Bamber has a collection of shotguns and .410s” and includes the correct phone number for White House Farm – 860209.

It also records that patrol car CA7 was despatched to the scene at 3.35am, one minute before Bamber rang from his cottage in nearby Goldhanger village.

The message is strikingly similar to the scenario Bamber has consistently claimed his 61-year-old father described to him.

Bamber rang Chelmsford police station at 3.36am, according to a second log also obtained by the Mirror. He told an officer: “You’ve got to help me. My father’s just phoned me, he said, ‘Please come over, your sister has gone crazy and has got the gun’.” The log has small but significant differences to the other note, indicating it relates to a different call.

It refers to Sheila as a “sister” who had gone “crazy” with a gun. And it records that another car, CA5, was separately sent to the farmhouse – again indicating the logs refer to different calls.

The documents are among 100,000 pieces of paper Bamber has sifted through in his prison cell at Full Sutton with the help of his lawyers and supporters.

Prosecutors told Bamber’s trial he invented the call from his father to lay the blame on his schizophrenic sister Sheila, a former model known as Bambi. The judge told jurors – never shown the earlier log – that the existence or not of 61-year-old Nevill’s call was crucial in determining the former public schoolboy’s guilt.

They found Bamber guilty of murdering Nevill, mum June, Sheila, and her twin six-year-old sons Nicholas and Daniel to claim a £436,000 inheritance.

He is currently serving a whole life tariff after being branded “evil almost beyond belief”.

The new evidence is being examined by the Criminal Cases Review Commission which will announce within weeks if Bamber is to have a third appeal. Senior figures at the CCRC are understood to harbour long-term doubts about the safety of his conviction which they have referred to appeal judges once before.

Bamber has spent most of his life in jail for one of the most shocking crimes in British history.

Police who responded to his call, overtaking him en route to the farmhouse, discovered a bloodbath.

Magistrate Nevill was in the kitchen, slumped forward in a chair, his head in the coal scuttle. He had been shot eight times with a .22 semi-automatic rifle.

His wife June, also 61, lay on her bed in a blood-soaked nightie with five bullets in her body and two in her head. Sheila, up from London for the weekend, was on the floor with an open Bible nearby. She had been shot twice in the neck. Her sons Nicholas and Daniel were shot three and five times in the backs of their heads.

At first, detectives believed Bamber’s version of events and agreed Sheila had slaughtered her family before turning the gun on herself.

Doctors always agreed the first shot to her throat was not fatal and at Bamber’s 2002 appeal Lord Justice Kay noted: “A person having suffered such an injury may have been able to stand up and walk around a little.” Bamber was famously pictured holding hands with girlfriend Julie Mugford behind his parents’ coffins, struggling to contain his grief.

Then Julie, 21, discovered he had cheated on her and told police he had discussed hiring a hitman to kill his parents. Detectives were reluctant to change their minds but then a silencer stained with blood and paint was found by Bamber’s cousins.

Forensic tests matched paint on the silencer to scratches on the underside of the farmhouse kitchen shelf.

That suggested the silencer was on the rifle during the struggle with Nevill. With the silencer fitted the gun would have been too long for Sheila to shoot herself in the throat. Nobody believed she had killed in a frenzy, then calmly removed the silencer, put it away downstairs and gone back up to take her own life.

Police realised that if Sheila wasn’t responsible then Bamber must have invented the call from his adoptive father.

The conclusion was obvious – the grieving son was actually a scheming murderer who had nearly succeeded in framing one his victims.

Bamber was charged and in October 1986 convicted by a 10-2 majority verdict at Chelmsford crown court.

Now he hopes the new evidence will ultimately prove his innocence.

Essex police said it would be “inappropriate” to comment at present.

A CCRC spokesman said: “We’re still reviewing the evidence. No decision has been made whether to refer the case.”

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 03:06:PM »
Mirror 6/08/10

Convicted killer Jeremy Bamber feels guilty for not helping the “crazed” sister he claims slaughtered their family

By Jon Clements 6/08/2010

Farmhouse killer Jeremy Bamber says he no longer blames his sister for what he claims she did – but he has still vowed to prove that she carried out the murders.

He reveals today he wishes he had helped to tackle sister Sheila’s schizophrenia before the gruesome shootings.

Bamber, 49, insists he is innocent of murdering dad Nevill, mum June, Sheila, and her twin sons Nicholas and Daniel at their remote farmhouse in 1985.

And in an astonishing 14-page letter to the Daily Mirror, he says he was convicted by the evidence of an ex-girlfriend hellbent on revenge. But his own cousin David Boutflour last night said Bamber was as “guilty as hell”.

Bamber’s letter, written from his prison’s hospital wing, says: “How do I view Sheila?

“With sadness now, as I have lived with many people with schizophrenia and so don’t blame Sheila any more – if anything I feel guilty for not understanding about her condition and helping her more.

“And I do have happy memories too.”

He claims troubled model Sheila, who was also known as Bambi, killed her children and parents before turning the gun on herself after going berserk.

And he says his ex-girlfriend Julie Mugford wrongly told detectives he had boasted of hiring a hitman to kill his family after she discovered he had cheated on her.

The letter says: “As for those who’ve done me wrong, the police/CPS will pursue anyone who needs to be pursued.

“I’ve stopped feeling angry – I suppose in revealing all that I know about my case in books and stuff, Julie and Co will be shamed publicly, that’s if they don’t go to jail, and I have no desire to see them or even for them to say sorry – the fact everyone will finally know the truth will be enough.

“We now have evidence to directly link Sheila in a struggle with my dad in the kitchen, a clear forensic link that is compelling to say the least.

“Sheila’s psychiatry files were not released to us. So building a case against Sheila has not been easy but we have pretty much done so.

“No doubt when my conviction is overturned a public enquiry of some sort will get access to this material and prove without doubt that Sheila was responsible.

Twenty-five years have passed since I came to prison – the outside world is very different, and of course, so am I.

“It’ll take me some time to learn about all the new things and think about what I might like to do.

“If a little money comes my way, buying a small farm would perhaps be fulfilling a dream but who knows what opportunities will come my way, or if my inheritance will be returned? We’ll wait and see.

“But I’d like to tell my story to give hope to those who feel like giving up – because you never know what is around the next corner and so the trick is to always hope that there is something that will help.”

At the trial, Bamber was accused of behaving inappropriately after the murders and buying champagne for pals the evening after his parents’ funeral.

Bamber said: “You ask me whether I would have done things differently, as if I had control over how I coped with the grief of losing my whole family.

“I am certainly not alone in turning to alcohol in sorrow – nor in seeking the company of others who cared about me.”

Yesterday, the Mirror revealed how a lost police phonelog may help back up his claims about Bambi, 26, being guilty of the killings in Tolleshunt d’Arcy, Essex.

The document suggests their dad, 61, had called police saying his “daughter” had “gone berserk” with a gun and the Criminal Cases Review Commission is due to announce within weeks if it has referred Bamber’s case to the Court of Appeal.

His cousin David Boutflour, from Harwich in Essex, played a key role in the case after he uncovered a blood-stained gun silencer inside the farmhouse.

And he said yesterday: “He’s as guilty as hell and should spend the rest of his life in jail.

“I have a family and if he was ever let out I would be seriously concerned for the safety of us all.

“It would be a terrible injustice if he were ever to get off on a technicality.”

But Bamber – who is serving a full life sentence in Full Sutton prison, near York – maintains an unshakable belief that he will walk free one day.

He concluded his letter in bizarre fashion by saying he had a “toothache that shows no mercy”.

Bamber added: “If I’d known of the pain later, the joy of those lollipops at 10 years old does not in any way compensate for what it’s caused.

“Ouch, it’s hurting like, well, bad. Yours sincerely Jeremy Bamber.”

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 03:08:PM »
Express Sunday 29-08-10

DO NEW PICTURES PROVE JEREMY BAMBER IS INNOCENT?

Sunday August 29,2010
By Hilary Douglas

BULLET fragments found in the neck of Jeremy Bamber’s dead sister prove he could not have faked her suicide, say campaigners ­fighting to free him.

They claim the scraps “became whole” when evidence was presented at his murder trial.

They also claim that the scene of crime was doctored and the former model’s body was moved by police.

Bamber was found guilty of shooting his adoptive parents Neville and June Bamber, his half-sister Sheila Caffell and her six-year-old twins Daniel and Nicholas with a silenced gun so he could inherit the family farm.

His defence team has uncovered an X-ray showing a fragmented bullet in Sheila’s neck, which at the trial was described as “whole”.

They claim that police swapped the bullet with one fired through a silencer to strengthen the prosecution case that Sheila could not have shot herself using a gun fitted with the silencer.

They have also uncovered notes by a firearms officer, a Sgt Adams, who questioned the photographs of Sheila’s body.

He was one of the first officers on the scene at White House Farm in Tolleshunt D’Arcy, Essex, on August 7, 1985. His notes, released to the defence in 1991, state: “Sheila not in same position. Bible shown next to body was level with her waist 12-18 inches away.”

A campaigner said: “In the photographs we can clearly see why Sgt Adams questioned the position of the body, as the Bible is level with her upper arm and not at waist level in the picture.

“At the 2002 appeal, the prosecution stated that Sheila’s body had been moved. It had, by the police, but Jeremy was blamed. It looks like the original inquiry was right and Sheila did the killings after all.”

The campaigner added: “We assume the whole bullet was the second shot and the fragmented bullet the first. Because it is in the muscle on the neck and is not in the brain, it wouldn’t have killed her.

“Some of the pathologist’s notes suggest she might have been able to walk around after the first shot, evidence which was repeated at the initial trial.”

Earlier this year, Bamber asked detectives to investigate people he named as alternative suspects. The development came as he made allegations in a letter to the Sunday Express concerning photographs of the crime scene which were not disclosed at his trial or appeal.

At his trial it was claimed he was involved in a struggle with his adoptive father Neville, 61. During the fight, the end of the silencer caused scratch marks on the underside of a shelf. However, expert Peter Sethurst concluded the marks were made a month after the crime.

His report says: “It’s clear from my reconstruction that the marks don’t appear in the original evidence. Having done that, you draw your own conclusion.”

In a letter from Full Sutton Prison, York, Bamber, 49, said the “only credible conclusion” was that the shelves were scratched “after these photos were taken”.

He adds: “Tampering can only have been done with the intention of perverting the investigation.”

Bamber plans to submit his evidence to the Criminal Cases Review Commission, which investigates possible miscarriages of justice.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 03:11:PM »
Colchester Gazette Article 13-9-10

Why was killer Bamber given access to media?

THE family of the victims of convicted killer Jeremy Bamber have welcomed moves for a Parliamentary debate on whether prisoners should be allowed to give interviews.

The mass murderer spoke to journalists about new evidence he hoped could be used to overturn his conviction for shooting dead five relatives.

Witham MP Priti Patel said the family were left “immensely distressed” that Bamber had been allowed to speak to the media by the Ministry of Justice and called for a debate into whether people serving life sentences should be granted access to the media.

Karen Boutflour, wife of Bamber’s cousin David, who lives in Wix, said the family would welcome a debate.

“It has been very hard and it puts an immense strain on all of us,” she said.

“He is in prison for a reason and he has had three failed appeals, so it is very strange that he was allowed to give an interview.

“He has his own official website and its awful that he’s even allowed to have that. We would be very pleased for there to be a debate at the House of Commons.”

Bamber has been in jail for more than 23 years for shooting his adoptive parents, June and Nevill, sister Sheila and her six-year-old twin sons, Daniel and Nicholas, at their farmhouse in Tolleshunt D’Arcy in August 1985.

At his trial, the prosecution said he committed the murders in the hope of inheriting a £500,000 fortune.

He now claims a police phone log suggests his father Nevill called police saying his daughter, Sheila, had “gone berserk” and “got hold of one of my guns”.

Speaking during a debate at the House of Commons, Ms Patel said: “The Leader of the House might be aware of the immense distress caused to the family of the victims of the Jeremy Bamber murders by the recent media interview he gave, which was allowed by the Ministry of Justice.

“May we have a debate in Government time on the impact of prisoners and mass murderers such as Bamber, who are serving whole-life tariffs and life imprisonment, being granted access to the media, so that victims of such crimes can be protected?”

George Young, Leader of the House of Commons, said he would raise the case with Justice Secretary Ken Clarke.

“It cannot be right that those who have been sentenced to imprisonment for serious crimes such as murder should then from prison be allowed to cause distress to the relatives of their victims,” he said.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 03:12:PM »
Essex Chronicle 18/11/210

Murderer Jeremy Bamber hopes for Court of Appeal hearing

By steve clow newsdesk@essexchronicle.co.uk

MASS murderer Jeremy Bamber should know by the end of the week whether his bid for freedom will be heard by the Court of Appeal.

The Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) – which probes possible miscarriages of justice – could decide to refer Bamber's conviction to the Court of Appeal after a six year investigation.

Bamber, 49, has always protested his innocence despite being convicted of the murders of five members of his family at White House Farm, Tolleshunt D'Arcy, in August 1985, and has spent years gathering evidence he claims could clear his name.

He told the Chronicle from his cell at HMP Full Sutton in York: "We now know the truth, sadly it's taken 26 years to come out.

"But the CCRC should make a decision on my case this week.

"We have submitted a lot of compelling new evidence, and more to the point shown that we know the truth – that I have been framed."

Three Appeal Court judges rejected his first bid for freedom in 1989, but he re-applied to the CCRC for a second judicial review in 2004.

CCRC spokesman Justin Hawkins said: "Complex cases like this one take time. We have been investigating this second application by him since 2004.

"The Commissioners are meeting this week and could announce their decision.

"They could decide to refer it to the Court of Appeal. But if they do not it will be case closed, although he could submit any number of further applications."

Seventy per cent of CCRC cases referred to the Court of Appeal are upheld, he added.

Adoptive parents Nevill and June Bamber, both 61, adoptive sister Sheila Caffell and her six-year-old twins Daniel and Nicholas were killed with a rifle fitted with a sound moderator.

A year later he was jailed for 25 years by Mr Justice Drake at Chelmsford Crown Court, saying he was "evil almost beyond belief".

Jeremy Bamber has submitted key photographic evidence to the CCRC, a set of original negatives taken by Essex Police which he insists show inconsistencies in the case against him.

Mr Hawkins added: "Mr Bamber and his lawyers have submitted a very substantial amount of additional material during the period since the Commission started its review.

"We have accepted this material in order to ensure that our review of the case can be as complete as possible. We have looked, and continue to look, very carefully at the many points that have been raised during the whole review process."

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 03:18:PM »
Mail Online 28-1-11

Could these photographs clear multiple murderer Jeremy Bamber at his THIRD appeal?

Unseen police photographs could help secure a new appeal for one of Britain’s most notorious killers.

Jeremy Bamber, 50, will hear next week whether he can launch a new legal challenge in the Court of Appeal against his conviction for one of Britain’s most notorious murders 25 years ago.

Lawyers for Bamber - convicted of blasting to death five relatives in a farmhouse - claim newly disclosed police photos cast doubt on a key part of the prosecution case and raise disturbing inconsistencies in the evidence.
Jeremy Bamber is appealing his conviction for shooting dead five relatives
Bamber claims Sheila Caffell, his schizophrenic sister shot her family before turning the gun on herself

Appeal: Bamber, 50, has always protested his innocence and claims his schizophrenic sister Sheila Caffell, known as 'Bambi' (right), shot her family before turning the gun on herself

Bamber, who is serving a whole life term for the 1985 killings, has always protested his innocence and claims his schizophrenic sister Sheila Caffell shot her family before turning the gun on herself at a remote farm in the Essex village of Tolleshunt D’Arcy.

Defence lawyers say the new images show the murder weapon seemingly resting in different positions on Mrs Caffell’s body and around the bedroom.

At the trial, police claimed the gun was not moved until after all police photographs were taken but two views of the same window inside a bedroom show a gun against it in one frame and missing in the second.

The release of the photographs to Channel 4 News comes as the Criminal Cases Review Commission prepares to announce on Monday whether it will refer his conviction to the Court of Appeal.

Last year, it emerged that photographs which were used as prosecution evidence against Bamber were to be reviewed after an expert claimed there were discrepancies on crime scene pictures.

Bamber, who was convicted by a 10-2 majority, has twice lost appeals against conviction.
In this view inside a bedroom at the Essex farmhouse there is no gun at the window.

Window: In this view (below) inside a bedroom at the Essex farmhouse there is no gun at the window.
In this second view of the bedroom, a rifle is propped against the frame. His defence team say this suggests inconsistencies in crime scene evidence

Defence: In this second view(below) of the bedroom, a rifle is propped against the frame. His defence team say this suggests inconsistencies in crime scene evidence

He insists Mrs Caffell, a model known as ‘Bambi’ who suffered from mental illness and was prone to violent outbursts, gunned down the family before killing herself.

Bamber also alleges he was the victim of a conspiracy involving relatives and a former girlfriend out to frame him. All deny any wrong-doing.

Detectives have always insisted that privately-educated Bamber is a cold, cunning, deluded killer who was rightly convicted because of compelling forensic and circumstantial evidence.

He is one of 38 convicted killers in the country who have been given a whole-life tariff, which means they will never be released, and he is said to have made 'multiple submissions' to the CCRC in a bid to prove his innocence.

Bamber’s wealthy adoptive parents Nevill and June, their daughter Mrs Caffell and her six-year-old sons Daniel and Nicholas were shot dead with a .22 Anschutz semi-automatic rifle, which was found in Mrs Caffell’s hands.

The prosecution at Bamber’s sensational trial in Chelmsford Crown Court said he committed the murders out of greed, hoping to inherit a £500,000 fortune, and that he lied about receiving a call from his 61-year-old father to frame his sister.

Mrs Caffell had referred to her twins as the ‘Devil’s children’ and detectives initially assumed she was behind the killings.

However suspicion fell on Bamber when scratch marks were found on a kitchen shelf above the Aga, allegedly caused by a silencer fitted to the murder weapon.

The silencer was later found in a gun cupboard, and police deduced it would have been impossible for Mrs Caffell to return it there after shooting herself.

They concluded Bamber carried out the murders after a violent struggle in the kitchen with his father during which the shelf was scratched.

Jailed for life in October 1986, Bamber has repeatedly challenged the verdict and in 2009 lost a Court of Appeal case against the order that he must die behind bars.

Last year respected crime author David James Smith became the first journalist to interview Bamber in prison and said he found him ‘all too human and understandable’.

'Except for the part of him that I felt was hidden,’ he added. 'The corner of his soul that carried the knowledge of what had really happened that night 25 years ago, and who had really killed his family.'

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 03:19:PM »
Observer/Guardian 30/1/11

The new evidence Jeremy Bamber says could end his 26 years in prison

The murder of five members of one family in 1985 shocked Britain. But new material from an Observer/Guardian Films investigation – including police logs – will be examined tomorrow and could open the way for a fresh appeal

* Eric Allison and Mark Townsend
    * The Observer, Sunday 30 January 2011

Active content removed
Video: Will new evidence bring a historic third appeal for Bamber?

In North Yorkshire's Full Sutton maximum security jail, prisoner A5352AC will go about his business as usual. Up at 7am, the subsequent hours will be spent obsessing over documents that he hopes will overturn his conviction for one of Britain's most notorious multiple murders. Tomorrow Jeremy Bamber is likely to discover whether those efforts have been in vain.

Bamber was a 24-year-old with dark hair and striking youthful looks when five members of his family were killed on 7 August 1985 in an Essex farmhouse; a horrific crime for which he was found guilty. New images, published for the first time, show the effects. "I am an old man now and I feel it," he said last week. "I can feel all that time I have spent in jail. I never thought I'd do 26 years. I always thought another year, maybe another 18 months."

His fate rests on the judgment of three legal experts who will gather in the Birmingham offices of the Criminal Cases Review Commission to decide whether the evidence they have examined over the past two years casts sufficient doubt over the safety of Bamber's conviction to refer the case to the court of appeal.

It is a high-pressure, high-profile, decision. A referral would raise the possibility that Bamber is a victim of one of the UK's longest miscarriages of justice. It would also, clearly, pose fresh questions over the police investigation and subsequent prosecution.

Experts from the commission have examined a wealth of new evidence, including freshly disclosed Essex police files that appear to challenge the assertion that Bamber shot his adopted parents, June and Neville, his sister Sheila Caffell, and her six-year-old twins, Daniel and Nicholas, at their farm in the village of Tolleshunt D'Arcy.

The material, never heard before a jury or during previous appeal attempts, challenges key elements of the prosecution's case. Bamber believes the findings support his allegations that police fabricated, suppressed and interfered with evidence in an attempt to frame him.

Among the newly disclosed material – uncovered during an investigation by the Observer and Guardian Films – are logs chronicling police radio communications on the night of the murders which suggest that another person was in White House Farm and could have carried out the killings.

At 5:25am, when it is accepted that Bamber was standing outside the building alongside police, one states: "Firearms teams in conversation with person in farmhouse." Minutes later, the logs reveal another call requesting the urgent attendance of more firearms officers.

Ninety minutes earlier, the logs reveal that officers had seen a mystery figure inside the farm, with one noting "movement of person in upstairs window". They also show that police used a loudhailer for two hours as they attempted to contact an individual within the farmhouse, a period during which Bamber was outside.

Bamber's case is that Sheila, 27, his schizophrenic sister, shot her family before turning the gun on herself. One firearms officer states seeing a rifle propped against a window in the farmhouse at 7.30am before noting, minutes later, the rifle disappearing, substantiating suggestions that someone apart from Bamber was alive in the building throughout the killings.

At 7.38am, police stormed the property and a log entry records "one dead male, one dead female found on entry". Yet, according to court documents, only the body of Neville was discovered downstairs. Sheila, a model nicknamed "Bambi", was found in an upstairs bedroom alongside her dead mother.

Bamber said: "I know I was outside with the police when they saw someone moving around in the house, when they were talking to someone in the house, when they saw my sister in the kitchen, when they went into the house."

Bamber, described by the trial judge as "warped and evil beyond belief", is one of only 38 convicted killers in Britain who have been given a whole-life tariff, meaning they will never be released. Others include Ian Brady, Donald Neilson, Rosemary West and Peter Tobin. Only Bamber has consistently claimed to be innocent.

"It is incredible that they could give me a death sentence, using old age as the tool. But I have never believed I would stay in jail or that I would not win," he added, before his third appeal is heard.

Another component of his case is testimony from one of Britain's most eminent photographic experts, whose analysis of police negatives found them incompatible with the principal prosecution case. Peter Sutherst, an analyst with 50 years' experience who advises scenes-of-crime officers, found that scratch marks on the farm's kitchen wall that were said to have been made by a silencer fitted to the murder weapon used by Bamber during the killings might have been made more than a month after the murders.

Following that discovery, the review commission asked Sutherst to scrutinise a minute "red spot" on the carpet beneath the scratches. It had initially assumed it was paint, but Sutherst – after examining hundreds of police photographs – matched the fleck to Sheila's toenail varnish.

Further analysis revealed a "missing" area of varnish on her big toe. When Sutherst transposed the fleck upon the missing area, it matched perfectly. He believes this places her in the kitchen on the night of the murders and that the damage may have occurred when she attempted to shoot herself and the recoil from the rifle butt struck her foot.

A decision to refer the case to the court of appeal would lead to fresh criticism over the conduct of the police. One former officer on the case told the Observer that the original investigation was "mishandled". Ex-police sergeant Chris Bews, who met Bamber at the farm on the night of the shootings, also confirmed that officers later compared notes of the incident, although he rejected any allegations of collusion. "We sat down together: it was permissible under what was called judges' rules in those days."

Yet at least one of the statements by officers assigned to the case has raised questions over its integrity. Forensic scientists found that a page of one officer's official statement had been "typed using a different typewriter".

Bamber himself is more exercised by the amount of evidence that is still withheld by Essex police. More than 40,000 documents and 211 photographs relating to the case have yet to be disclosed, with offers by Bamber to pay for the cost of searching through paperwork refused by the police. Of those police photographs recently released, several point towards the movement of Sheila's body and the murder weapon during examination by scenes-of-crime officers. Italian forensic image analyst Martino Jerian, whose specialist software allows pictures to be merged, shows Sheila's body lying in two differing positions. The murder weapon, originally found by her side, is seen propped up against the bedroom window. Essex police deny tampering with the crime scene.

However, when shown the images, Mick Gradwell, a former detective chief superintendent with Lancashire police, identified possible flaws with the police inquiry. "The standard of the investigation did not meet the standard of the time," he said.

Bews, one of the first officers to arrive at the scene, said after studying the pictures: "Somebody has obviously moved her hand." He added: "I don't think any of the police involved at the time would disagree that it was a badly handled investigation."

Other newly disclosed photographs indicate blood on Sheila's hands and feet. However, at the trial the prosecution claimed her hands and feet were perfectly clean. Summing up, the trial judge, Mr Justice Drake, said: "I have reminded you of the fact – and it is a fact – that when she was found she had no marks of blood on the soles of her feet and no marks of having handled bullets on her hands."

The apparent absence of blood on swabs used to test Sheila's hands for the presence of firearms residue has provoked further concerns over police procedure during the inquiry.

In another development, Bamber's cousin, David Boutflour, who found the silencer at the farm days after the killings, has admitted – for the first time – that he inherited a significant sum following the murders. "I have inherited quite a large amount of money as a result of Jeremy. And most of it I've wasted, I've spent," he said.

Boutflour, who gave evidence for the prosecution, has consistently maintained that Bamber is guilty of the murders. However, campaigners have argued that the possibility that Boutflour might benefit from Bamber being convicted was not properly articulated to the jury.

As it was, the prosecution alleged that Bamber's motive for the murders was financial, driven by the hope of an inheritance of £436,000.

Money, says Bamber, seems unimportant after 26 years in prison. "All I want is one day to be on a Dorset beach and have someone around me, or people around, who I love and they love me," he said.

"I have no desire for anything monetary. Simply to go for a walk with someone I love and see a bird together. To enjoy a beautiful ballet, a simple meal in the local cafe or go to a supermarket and buy a mango."

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 03:25:PM »
Mirror 31/1/11

Jeremy Bamber: Police used my family's corpses as props

by Jon Clements, Crime correspondent 31/01/2011

Murderer Jeremy Bamber has accused police of using his family’s bodies as “props” in a secret training exercise hours after they were found shot.

He has discovered armed officers had already secured the scene when another team of marksmen entered the farmhouse where the corpses of his parents, sister and nephews lay.

The police papers from 1985 say their role there was for “informatives”, which basically means training.

But Bamber claims the eight-man rookie unit trampled over the crime scene – and argues it supports his case he is innocent.

The fresh evidence comes as the Criminal Cases Review Commission meets today to decide if he should get a final appeal 25 years after he was jailed for life.

In a letter to the Mirror, Bamber, 50, said: “It is just too awful to think senior police management sanctioned the training of other firearms officers using my dear old mum and dad and Sheila as props in their informatives.

“There is no way I could have been prosecuted had police admitted carrying out training exercises in the house before, during and after crime scene photos were taken. It’s not like me to cry very much but I can’t seem to stop myself.”

Bamber has been researching over 100,000 documents about his case in his cell in HMP Full Sutton.

Papers he found earlier this month suggest 43 officers from Essex police entered White House Farm, in Tolleshunt D’Arcy in 1985 – 17 more than was declared at his original trial.

It was apparently never revealed to Bamber’s defence a firearms unit arrived two hours after two other teams of marksmen found the bodies of Nevill and June Bamber, Sheila Caffell and her two sons.

None of them were scene-of-crime officers and the logs say their role there was for informatives.

Bamber claims the officers were ordered to the farm to gain experience on the aftermath of a shooting. Records show the bodies were not removed until several hours later and Bamber claims crucial evidence including the .22 rifle could have been moved while photos were taken.

Rifle by window after farmhouse massacre(below)

Killer's rifle by window after the farmhouse massacre (below)

Sergeant Chris Bews, one of the first officers at the scene, admitted the investigation was mishandled and other senior police believe it did not “meet the standards of the time”.

Police initially suspected Sheila of killing her family and then herself.

Bamber said he got a phone call from his dad on the night of the murders saying she had gone crazy.

But doubts emerged after other relatives found a blood-stained silencer which fitted scratch marks on the kitchen mantlepiece. That suggested the silencer was fitted to the gun during the killer’s struggle with Nevill, found in the kitchen.

Kitchen crime scene and, inset, mantlepiece gun scratches

Sheila could not have shot herself and then removed the silencer.

Girlfriend Julie Mugford then told police Bamber bragged about killing his parents for the inheritance. Bamber’s lawyers reckon an expert found no sign of the scratches in early crime pictures. The killer also claims Mugford was angry at him for cheating on her.