Author Topic: HILLSBOROUGH: The search for the truth  (Read 48542 times)

Offline petey

Re: HILLSBOROUGH: The search for the truth
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 02:59:AM »
Kelvin MacKenzie, who was the editor of The Sun at the time of the Hillsborough tragedy and who wrote the headline, today offered his 'profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool for that headline'.

He added: 'It has taken more than two decades, 400,000 documents and a two-year inquiry to discover to my horror that it would have been far more accurate had I written the headline The Lies rather than The Truth. I published in good faith and I am sorry that it was so wrong.'

--------------------------------------------------

I think I disagree, Neil.

Apologies only ever mean anything if they are both SINCERE and HEARTFELT.  Mckenzie's is NEITHER and smacks of someone desperate to say the right thing to try and improve their public perception.

His actions in 1989 and in the following years by repeatedly standing by his reporting were absolutely disgraceful.

His apology today means absolutely nothing to me. He has a long long way to go before he will be forgiven by any Liverpool supporters and it is doubtful if many can ever forgive him whatever he does. His actions caused immense pain and suffering to the families and victims of Hillsborough. A half-hearted apology where he tries to pass the buck falls a long long way from what is required.

guest154

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 06:28:AM »
I take that onboard, Petey. I don't believe that KM's apology was completey and attempt at improving his public perception. I think that what he tried to do was explain his stance at that time whilst apologising- to make people see why he wrote it and why it was wrong rather than just saying sorry.

But I understand there is still a long way to go for him before anyone in Liverpool would be able to even look at him without feeling sick.

guest154

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 06:31:AM »
I have just finally returned home after an incredibly emotional day in Liverpool.

I attended the Anglican Cathedral where the families first heard the findings of the panel then later went to the reception outside St Georges Hall.

Whilst waiting outside the Anglican cathedral a group of us supporters were regularly interviewed by various news and media outlets. One of the main questions was "what is our reaction to the news today?"

Our overall response was "what news?" We as Liverpool fans and the families and the people of Liverpool have known for 23 years what happened on that fateful day. During this time we have been faced with disgraceful smear campaigns in the media full of lies and more lies. We have had to defend our club and the city of Liverpool against scandalous LIES and MISTRUTHS.

Todays report is a massive step in the right direction because the general public now know the truth about what happened. No longer is it "whining scousers" and why can't we "just get over it and move on."

We now know that:
Liverpool fans 100% were not to blame.
From day 1 there was a systematic cover up from South Yorkshire police to absolve themselves from blame.
The arbitrary 3.15 cut off point imposed by the coroner had no legal, medical or moral grounding. The most shocking thing i learnt today was that at least 41  (YES FORTYONE) people were alive after the 3.15 cut off point and COULD have been saved. That is sickening and what that must feel like to the families is indescribable.

It is utterly disgraceful that this has been covered up for over 23 years.

The truth is now known for everyone to see, but the fight goes on as the battle is only half won.
What we now need is JUSTICE.

The original inquest finding of accidental death must be set aside.
PUBLIC prosecutions MUST be brought against those in authority who caused the Hillsborough disaster and then tried to cover it up.

I want to hear apologies from every single person involved in the cover up, particularly David Duckenfield.

I wholeheartedly agree with Trevor Hicks that Kelvin Mckenzie's apology is FAR FAR TOO LITTLE FAR TOO LATE. He is trying to pass the buck. He will have known for years and years that the information he was told was in fact a LIE. Yet he waits 23 years to apologise. Simply not good enough im afraid and I too reject his apology.

From tomorrow the fight goes on and I hope and pray that the day JUSTICE is fully achieved has moved a significant step nearer.

JFT96

Great insight, Petey. Thank you for sharing.

Offline jon

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 07:15:AM »
Superbly put Petey !!

Neil

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 09:19:AM »
What surprises me most about the report published yesterday is that so many people were surprised that a mass cover up had occurred.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:AM »
What surprises me most about the report published yesterday is that so many people were surprised that a mass cover up had occurred.
Yes even those who knew there was a cover up where shocked at the extent of it but many people were covinced the truth had been told. Just goes to show that there should always be an element of doubt imo.

-Harters-

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 10:07:AM »
Pm's? Sod that! Reported PM'S, 3 way PM's........best to stay away!  ;D ;D ;D

As for Hillsborough - the Daily mail has a 'good' front page today with the victims faces on it, kind of brings it home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2201898/Finally-Hillsborough-families-know-truth-The-police-lied-41-96-victims-saved-Now-justice.html

You've got to expect these kind of headlines, I wonder what the Sun has gone with, a big 'Sorry' perhaps.

Just to be picky on the headline though, there is no evidence that 41 people could have been saved, the reports says exactly that, just that they were alive after 15:15, it remains the case that the press continue to try and sensationalise different aspects purely to sell papers.

Offline susan

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:AM »
Hi Neil  yes I know now this is it but was not aware of that at the time.  My point they should not be on the same thread to say I am confused is an understatement.  Maybe you would be better to ignore me :) :)  Need more coffee. ;)

Offline jon

Offline jon

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 11:00:AM »
I take that onboard, Petey. I don't believe that KM's apology was completey and attempt at improving his public perception. I think that what he tried to do was explain his stance at that time whilst apologising- to make people see why he wrote it and why it was wrong rather than just saying sorry.

But I understand there is still a long way to go for him before anyone in Liverpool would be able to even look at him without feeling sick.
Kelvin Mckenzie once said ' i was not sorry then and i am not sorry now ' !!

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:AM »
Kelvin Mckenzie once said ' i was not sorry then and i am not sorry now ' !!
Jon,Trevor Hicks has just stated, Kelvin McKenzie Knew the truth and he did fabricate lies on the front page of the Sun, they have a statement of the journalist who put the piece together who protested to our Kelvin at the time.  So sorry, KK yu have no hope of forgiveness.  The Sun will not increase it's sales in the Merseyside area, it's a pity people in the rest of the country don't respond in the same way.imo
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:56:AM by maggie »

Offline jon

Offline lookout

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 11:54:AM »
http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2012/09/13/hillsborough-was-it-thatcher-s-fault?

Well I suppose someone has to be blamed.! It's gone on in the hope that it would " go away " , in time.

-Harters-

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 12:00:PM »
Just to be picky on the headline though, there is no evidence that 41 people could have been saved, the reports says exactly that, just that they were alive after 15:15, it remains the case that the press continue to try and sensationalise different aspects purely to sell papers.

Just to clarify the above comment, I am not downgrading the number of people who had the potential to be saved, this is what the medical expert actually stated yesterday:

The Panel's medical expert Dr Bill Kirkup said the original inquest was wrong to say they could not be saved after 3.15pm, because a re-examination of evidence showed dozens were still breathing after that time but lost their lives in the chaos.

'In total 41 had evidence that they had potential to survive after the period of 3.15,' he said.

'What I can't say is how many of them could, in actuality, have been saved. But what I can say is that, potentially, it was in that order of magnitude.'

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 12:50:PM »

I have split this topic and created a new thread containing the posts originated by Roch, suggesting parallels with the Bamber case.  This thread is now solely for posts about Hillsborough.